Looking for help increasing upload speed

jabarkas

•Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green

•What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Port is open. Your network is properly configured.

•What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Current Settings (2.81 Mbit/s)

Upload Limit: 344.0 kB/s

Upload Slots: 25

Connections (per-torrent): 125

Connections (global): 800

Max active torrents: 15

Max active downloads: 15

•What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent), and if you ever modified TCPIP.sys, what you patched the limit to

net.max_halfopen: 8

TCPIP.sys patched to 100

•Operating system installed

Windows XP

•Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Comodo Firewall, Avast Antivirus, WinPatrol, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SpywareBlaster

•Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Router: none

Modem: ARRIS TM602G/CT

Network adapter: Intel PRO/100 VE

•ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Comcast

•Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload

Cable

Download speed: 13.82 Mbps

Upload speed: 2.29 Mbps

According to Comcast, my rates are 16 down 2 up

I'm running version 2.0.4.22150

My download speed is fine (I get around 1000 kB/s) but my upload rate consistently caps out at around 120 kB/s (it sometimes gets as high as 300-400 kB/s when I first start up uTorrent but then settles down to around 120 after 15-20 seconds).

My firewall is configured based on a uTorrent-specific guide from the Comodo forums. I tried running uTorrent with my firewall disabled and the results were the same.

I've gone through the setup guide, the FAQ, Ultima's Tweaking Guide, tried Switeck's conservative settings, and rafi's guide. Every time I change settings I start up uTorrent and let it run for a half hour or so (without any active downloads running) and every time my upload speed caps out at around 120 kB/s.

Glasnost test results:

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* The measurement data is too noisy to detect whether your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. Re-running the test while ensuring that no other downloads or uploads are running in the background might fix this problem.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 35957. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 842 Kbps while uploads on port 35957 achieved up to 704 Kbps.

All of my torrents are running on a private network.

My current settings

Connection:

Port: 80.

Everything unchecked except Add Windows Firewall exception

No proxy server

BitTorrent:

Everything unchecked except Ask tracker for scrape information and Enable Peer Exchange.

Protocol Encryption - Forced, Allow incoming legacy connections unchecked (I've tried Enabled and allowing incoming legacy connections with the same result).

I realize that upload speeds are going to vary based on the time of day, the number of peers and seeders, etc. But the fact that my upload rate is so consistently capped at about the same rate makes me think that something is specifically limiting my upload rate.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jason

Archived