Xunlei aka Thunder Unwilling to Share with uTorrent

BlueDragon

Recently I have been more involved in swarms with a lot of far east peers, most of them using the Xunlei 0.1 client. Though many people on "this side of the wall" may think that only a marginal fraction of the BT users are using this weird (at least not natively available in English...) client in the world, uT having the Lion part, they are fully mistaken according to some statistics published not so long ago on TorrentFreaks. :o

The recurring problem with these Xunlei / Thunder peers is that most of them just leech out and give back almost or simply plain nothing. They remain (connected) in the swarm taking everything they can yet never giving a block back or maybe a block (16kb) every 2 hours... I observed that they unchoke my client but they never send any block of the piece my client requests. In that case uT is again and again unchoking (randomly / optimistically) and sending MB of pieces to these leeches yet never getting anything worth to mention in exchange.

On the other hand I observed that not ALL the Xunlei / Thunder peers are acting like that. Some are sharing the way it should be in P2P BT.

Finally there is another group of Xunlei clients which wont' give nor take, at least not with uT (or Tixati I also tried alternatively). So of course the idea crossed my mind that they may (by design?) prefer to share with other Xunlei clients. Whatever it is, the fact remains that if all the Xunlei client would only fully leech then this client would not be the most used in the world?!?... :/

So what is the way to handle this problem?

Exlude them from the swarm?

Could be a solution if not all or the major part of the pieces would be "in the hands" of Xunlei peers. But even then it's practically a pain in the a.. with uT not having a way to ban on a per client basis. So only a one by one IP selecting an entering in the ipfilter.dat would lead to a result (for those not changing the IP regularly). Ok some proposed to accept only encrypted connections (if Xunlei really do not support encryption) but that would also cut off a part of other peers not willing to accept encrypted connections.

Or may all this only be mainly imagination? Could it be that the chinese (virtual) wall be the real culprit? Maybe they can share well inside or outside but not accross?!?... :D

And on the technical level there are sometimes really weird things happening. Recently I had a uT 1.8.2 client sharing very well with others but not willing to take a piece from me (being the only (inital) seed). Disconnection and reconnection made my client to send him a chunk of pieces and then back to nothing, again and again. So maybe the incompatibility between Xunlei clients and other major clients on "this side of the wall" is purely or mainly of technical nature?

ADDENDUM: Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. Can it be a major problem if in a given swarm only peers are remaining e.g. no fully completed seed available anymore? Does this special situation negatively impact on the BT client "readiness" to share? I mean a seed is obviously seeding as much as possible but it clearly seems that a peer is only willing to share well if reciprocated (tid for tat) from time to time at least. As a result uT clearly shifts his bandwith priority to other tasks what can be very counter productive in this example e.g. killing the torrent definitively.

What are your experiences out there?

Can someone shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks!

If you have even 3 torrents active at once...often the one you MOST want to upload the most on gets the least even if it's the only one set to HIGH priority.

Xunlei from what I understand is a "share everything" style file sharing program. It shares the entire drive C: and maybe other drives as well. So upload speed to devote to torrents gets only what's left over after all the other demands. (Jack of all trades, master of none...especially when you're splitting limited upload between multiple p2p networks!)

Thanks for your reply Switeck.

Yes indeed uT has a weird algorithm for priorizing the seeding. I noticed that it probably depends (amongst others) much of the number of interested peers (and not really of their download capacity). In any case I have to manually balance out or I take another client for (special) seeding purposes which has the big drawback that if any BT client bandwith demand is falling down to zero the bandwith becomes not automatically allocated to the other BT client.

According to my latest test with Xunlei it seems that the present version (still beta?) does NOT share all the drive(s) (anymore?). You can choose what folder you want to use for sharing. Some people stated on the Internet that they measured the disk activity and that Xunlei did not use other folders but I did not want to test it by myself because anyway I used a dedicated machine.

You point about splitting upload between multiple P2P networks is unclear to me. Maybe you could elaborate a bit this thought...

• 1 year later...

I believe I know why this is the case. As a Chinese myself, I have a horde of Chinese friends who swear by Xunlei. However, as I was explaining the concept of uploading to one of them, he replied, "You can upload in torrents?" Shocked, I quickly filled him in on the concept that if no one seeds, than torrents will eventually 'die'. I told him to switch to a less selfish client, aka uTorrent. To this, he responded, no joke, "There are other torrent clients out there?". So there you go. The problem is not with Chinese people, it's with the lack of available information and basic torrent concepts within China.

And the GUI of Xunlei. There are no panes for things such as 'upload speed', 'share ratio', or even the basic concepts like seeds or swarms. In fact, the interface resembles Orbit Downloader more than a proper torrent client. I wasn't even sure if it was capable of uploading at all. A chat with some of my other friends quickly confirmed this. Even my tech addict cousin was oblivious to the protocol of torrenting. To them, torrenting is simply another version of HTTP or FTP download, with the only difference being that it's faster if more people use it.

However, as I tried to convert them into using proper clients, they seemed either unable or unwilling to understand and accept the fact that you have to share to download. They told me that they've used Xunlei 'for years' and it has 'served them well', so they saw no need to switch. That pretty sums up the general mood on BitTorrenting in China. Everyone treats it like you would treat a FTP site, and the community suffers from it. Ever tried downloading a Chinese torrent? It's living hell. Virtually no one except professional seedboxes seed to you. You average 2GB download takes days to complete.

The Chinese community needs to learn about BitTorrent protocols to solve this problem at the base. They really can't be blamed if they don't even know about the basic concepts. All in all, blame the Great Firewall for blocking the necessary information to be transferred to China :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have used xunlei (Thunder) before using µTorrent.

From what I'm aware, the default setting upload speed is unlimited. So, if the user never change anything, it should be able to share, even if the user doesn't know what is uploading. As for whether it chooses client to send data to, that I'm not sure.

As for the program itself, it is quite crappy. about half the interface is advertisements/announcements and entertainment news from their sources. Those advertisements and animations took up quite a lot of resources and plays no part in download/sharing the torrent data.

And also, that program tends to launch browser windows to some gaming websites by itself, very irritating. It pops up a browser windows like once every few minutes, and the taskbar will be filled with browser tabs.

The advantage of xunlei is that it supports quite a wide range of sharing protocols, like thunder, emule etc.. as well as BT.. and some resources is only available in those formats.

just some inputs on xunlei :)

Xunlei from what I understand is a "share everything" style file sharing program. It shares the entire drive C: and maybe other drives as well. So upload speed to devote to torrents gets only what's left over after all the other demands. (Jack of all trades, master of none...especially when you're splitting limited upload between multiple p2p networks!)

You understand incorrectly, it only shares what has been downloaded through it.

From what I'm aware, the default setting upload speed is unlimited. So, if the user never change anything, it should be able to share, even if the user doesn't know what is uploading. As for whether it chooses client to send data to, that I'm not sure.

Apparently the latest versions do share, but the previous ones were reluctant to do so more than absolutely necessary. Perhaps the users are running outdated versions, or just changed the settings to be total scum.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi,

I've also observed that they just leech giving nothing back :mad:

In one of the private forums i'm part of the Xunlei was already banned from their tracker, allegedly, but somehow my Peers tab still shows many of them leeching their torrents :/

I wrote an "ipfilter.dat" file in notepad and saved it to uTorrent's install folder.

Right now the ipfilter contains only some single IPs which it blocked successfully. But from time to time yet another Xunlei pops up with already new IP.

Is there anything else i could do to avoid them getting our torrents by leeching only.

Should i also disable DHT and Peer Exchange or is there a way to block Xunlei clients in uTorrent for good?

Archived