Some assistance on specific "Run Program" request

gmbutler

I have read through another post (which became quite heated sometimes) about this new awesome feature, albeit beta. I do not want to continue that discussion, so will not link to it. :rolleyes:

Basically, as far as I understand it, I would be able to get notified about a finished download. I'd like to get the same popup as when a torrent finishes, but will settle for another option if need be, even if that means something external.

The snag here is that I want to be informed every time a file inside a torrent finishes, similar to a complete torrent. I have previously put in a feature request for a dedicated notification feature, but if I can be helped here I'd be totally ecstatic (for the time being).

I'm no good with figuring out how to make use of the available commands, or where else to start looking for some explanation, even in general. Can someone please give me the precise string of commands which will have utorrent let me know that

Filename has finished downloading!

It should be simple enough, but I'm totally useless with this :/

That sounds like a great idea, didn't think of that!

Unfortunately I'll have to get someone to do that for me, because as I tried t convey, I'm totally useless when it comes to programming, scripting, etc. But I'll see if I can get a hold of someone who can, and in the mean time keep an eye on this thread, in case there's a good Samaritan out there reading this ;)

• 7 months later...

Hi sAuhsoj

Yes please! I would still love to get my hands on a script like that. If you are willing and able, I'll definitely use it.

PS: Could you then also add some rudimentary steps on where and how I should use/add the script - just so I don't ask again ;)

Hi sAuhsoj

Yes please! I would still love to get my hands on a script like that. If you are willing and able, I'll definitely use it.

PS: Could you then also add some rudimentary steps on where and how I should use/add the script - just so I don't ask again ;)

okay, this is still in the making so it might be a wee bit buggy, I would appreciate if you could send any bug reports or feedback to jpbambrick@gmail.com - I am going to make this a full program with loads of features, not just for uTorrent, but it will hopefully work exactly like you wanted. It will add a file db.ini to the folder you define as your uTorrent download folder, don't edit this file, the program will also ignore any files with the extension '.!ut'

Download from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7803192/uMonitor.exe

(this link is likely to change at some point in time but I will update this forum with any new link I create)

Setup: very simple, just download and move the .exe file to a location, out of the way but where you won't accidentally delete it. Double-click to run it. It will give you an intuitive dialogue box where you set the settings. You can reopen this dialogue box at any time from the uMonitor icon in the system tray.

Setting up uTorrent: You will need to set uTorrent to add the extension !ut to incomplete downloads if you have not done so already. Also select a folder for 'Put new downloads in' and remember where that folder is. Set up uMonitor with this folder.

Feel free to move the .exe file and run it from another location on your computer, the settings will (hopefully) be retained and the 'run on startup' link will change itself automatically.

By the way, don't worry that I have spent so much time on this - you gave me the idea for my next project :-) and I wanted to do this anyway, so thank you!

If uTorrent controls downloads as 'moogly' seemed to suggest, this will work. If it only renames the .!ut files once the download has been completed, then the script falls apart.

(The program should recognise new files in the sub-folders now)

Also, if you think coding would help you in your job I suggest you take it up. I am sixteen and currently distracting myself from revision for GCSEs (British exams). If I can code something like this, you shouldn't find it too difficult to learn to code once you get into it. :)

Archived