Help with Seeding

JenniBee

When I open the SetUp Guide and run the Tests simultaneously the Bandwidth passes ... and the Network Fails

I also get an error message when I run the Bandwidth & Network at the same time that states I don't have the NAT-PMP or the UPnP enabled .. I went to my Preferences > Connection tab > Both of those ARE enabled along with the FireWall exception.

I checked the FireWall > Clicked to allow program and once inside could see the uTorrent is allowed in two different places.

If I untic the Bandwidth portion and run the Test again the Network passes saying the port is open.

Screen Shots Below showing ::

1) When the Test is run simultaneously on the same run.

2) When I untic Bandwidth and run just the Network by itself.

3) Connection Tab showing I have all things enabled.

However, no matter how long I leave uTorrent running I'm not seeing a Upload Speed on the top display bars and when I look down at the bottom status type bar I have a yellow triangle that when I mouse over it says NO Incoming Connection. Sometimes that will change to green but flips back to yellow pretty quick.

The file/torrent is still showing with a green arrow that says it's seeding but I'm not seeing it anywhere and it remains in the Inactive listing.

It apparently has seeded some as under Uploaded it's showing 2.94 MB @ .068 ratio

I have read and read and went through settings as much as I can understand them I'm definitely a Newbie to this. ... I guess I'm just confused because of the SetUp Guide confusion.

Am I beyond help ??? Is there ANYTHING I can do that will help me ??

I would really love to seed as I so appreciate the time and effort others put into this.

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit, my ISP is Comcast.

Thanks for reading and any feedback you can share with me.

Jenn

Torrent0.jpg

Torrent2.jpg

Torrent3.jpg

When it says not enabled, it may also indicate that it's not functioning. Meaning that your network hardware doesn't support it.

As far as speed goes your problem is most likely related to Comcast, If I remember right from other posts, they have what's called a burst speed, which makes your speed tests appear much higher than your actual network speed. So find out your max sustainable speeds before setting up the speed guide.

On the torrents that you're attempting to seed, are there even any peers to upload to? If there are no peers then you won't get any upload anyways, no matter what your setting. That torrent would be considered over-seeded.

Hello Paintball and Thank YOU for your help.

I'm going to ask the simple question first ...

When I was trying to seed there were both seeders and peers but I thought the statistics were unusual .. in checking right now it's listed as 0 (108) Seeds and 0 (287 Peers). I didn't understand the 0 in front of the numbers but it definitely looked like there were both available. I have seen that 0 in the front of the brackets like that before but never understood what that meant.

Okay, on the Network Hardware, I forgot to mention on this laptop, it's using a wireless signal Linksys G or N Router (I'm sorry I can't remember which letter)

During my readings of setup help articles I found a test that you could run to see if you were being Blocked . It was through Glasnost and I saved the results. I will post them at the very bottom of the message.

Apparently I am seeding a little at some point because the file I was trying to seed almost all day yesterday says it uploaded 2.94 MB, it must just be jumping in & out. The file I downloaded was 21.5 MB. However the file continues to stay in the INACTIVE window over on the left side of the main screen. I've never seen it go to the ACTIVE position.

Also, can you tell me how I find out my max sustainable speed ???

Ohhh one more question, when I look at the Trackers Tab, I only have three things there .. (DHT) .. (Local Peer Discovery) .. (Peer Exchange) with ALL of them saying working with seeds and peers.

Thank YOU so much for your help I would really like to be able to seed as I don't want to be kicked out due to non compliance.

Jenn

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic

Results for your host (c-69-137-127-10.hsd1.tn.comcast.net - 69.137.127.10):

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent UPLOADS. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 2041 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 2097 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 53835. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 2041 Kbps while uploads on port 53835 achieved up to 2444 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 9267 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 9330 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 53835. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 6589 Kbps while downloads on port 53835 achieved up to 9267 Kbps.

What's the official speed tier for your internet connection?

I'm on Comcast as well, with 6 mbit/sec down and 1 mbit/sec up...though in speed tests it can briefly burst much higher.

Hi Switeck,

I'm not sure about my official speed .. I thought it might show on a Comcast statement but all that is there is "Performance" .. I will call tomorrow and ask for the exact statistic's.

I did find out the router I am using for my Wireless is a Linksys N ..

I did not set up my own Network but I do know how to get inside the program by imputing my IP address. Did that tonight to just look around and see if anything was showing blocked but didn't really understand what I was looking at.

A company called Firedog set it up and since Circuit City is out of business there is no one here I can ask questions of.

Thanks in advance for any information or help you can share with me.

Jenn

Hello Switeck,

In reference to my Post #5 I contacted Comcast for my official speeds.

My Download Speed according to Comcast is 12 MB's

My Upload Speed according to Comcast is 2 MB's

Also, according to them the Speed had just recently been upgraded .

Hope this is the information you were requesting. I would really love to figure this out ..

I don't understand ALL of the Network terminology but am not totally computer illiterate.

Thank you so much for any assistance you can share with me.

Jenn

"I did find out the router I am using for my Wireless is a Linksys N"

Which could still mean your wireless card may only be using wireless-G (which is much slower than wireless-N), as practically every wireless-N router also supports the older wireless-G.

"My Upload Speed according to Comcast is 2 MB's"

I'm certain they mean megabits/second. Using capital M and B is so disingenuous, considering everywhere else you're likely to see MB...that would mean MegaBYTES.

Best bet, try 1.5 mbit/sec upload settings from 2nd link in my signature...since I don't trust ComCast to give the full 2 mbit/sec amount all the time.

"I did find out the router I am using for my Wireless is a Linksys N"

Which could still mean your wireless card may only be using wireless-G (which is much slower than wireless-N), as practically every wireless-N router also supports the older wireless-G.

"My Upload Speed according to Comcast is 2 MB's"

I'm certain they mean megabits/second. Using capital M and B is so disingenuous, considering everywhere else you're likely to see MB...that would mean MegaBYTES.

Best bet, try 1.5 mbit/sec upload settings from 2nd link in my signature...since I don't trust ComCast to give the full 2 mbit/sec amount all the time.

Hello Switeck,

I apologize for using the MB terminology in my reply to you. I hope you know I wasn't trying to be disingenuous in any way. I did mention I was a newbie in anything to do with Network settings. I did ask the Comcast employee to repeat her information and she did say MB as MegaBytes .

I have copied your upload setting's for the 1.5 mbit/sec upload and will apply them and see what happens.

I have fooled almost all day with my settings per a post from Rafi on problems with the new 2.04 Version and also on ISP throttling.

I have truly tried to research and help myself, I'm about to think this maybe beyond my scope of abilities.

I again apologize for my error. I think I am about burned out after 4 days of trying to make this thing work.

Thank you so much for help.

Jenn

Could I please ask just one more question and then I promise to stop.

According to Rafi's information they said to disable my DHT ..

Would you recommend this because when I do I wind up with only two Trackers ..

(Local Peer Discovery) and (Peer Exchange)

I changed my settings per your chart .. please see below.

When I changed my upload speed to 1.5 the following is what came up after I saved it ..

SwiteckSettings.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jenn

"I apologize for using the MB terminology in my reply to you. I hope you know I wasn't trying to be disingenuous in any way."

I meant that ComCast was the disingenuous ones...not you, sorry for the misunderstanding.

"I did ask the Comcast employee to repeat her information and she did say MB as MegaBytes ."

That phone tech was an idiot and/or a liar.

Test uTorrent by raising ONLY the upload speed and leaving it at that higher upload speed max for about 20 minutes to an hour. If it's not during the busy peak evening hours, this should give you a pretty good clue what your line's real sustained upload speeds are.

"I apologize for using the MB terminology in my reply to you. I hope you know I wasn't trying to be disingenuous in any way."

I meant that ComCast was the disingenuous ones...not you, sorry for the misunderstanding.

"I did ask the Comcast employee to repeat her information and she did say MB as MegaBytes ."

That phone tech was an idiot and/or a liar.

Test uTorrent by raising ONLY the upload speed and leaving it at that higher upload speed max for about 20 minutes to an hour. If it's not during the busy peak evening hours, this should give you a pretty good clue what your line's real sustained upload speeds are.

That's okay Switeck, thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. I have been reading so many different help threads and working on this mess for almost four days. I didn't want you to think I was just being indifferent about anything.

I did as you suggested .. raised ONLY the upload speed and let it run .. this stupid program toggles from showing I have no Network Connection to Network Connection Okay.

Most of the time it just sits here doing nothing leaving the file still in the inactive group. Somehow it uploaded, I guess at different times while I was reading other help topics.

You know I didn't used to have this problem. It used to just download and seed and I didn't even fool with the settings. I just recently wanted a program and it told me a newer version was available so my problems actually began after I let it apply the upgrade.

Wonder if I un-installed this program and then re-installed it from a fresh download.

I'm about to give up. I just hate to quit as I love being able to solve the problem, I'm just not sure I can with this one.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Jenn

What a mess here. Please run 1 torrent and stop the rest if you have. I wouldn't recommend that you disable DHT. If the file size is 21MB probably not many people need it and that is way you see the 0's and no upload. Download a torrent from http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ and let us know how things are.

Hello mcaspi,

Yes, I agree with you, quite a mess.

Downloaded the torrent from your link and STOPPED the other I was trying to seed.

Enabled DHT back

Download went SLOWER than it used to but probably due to new settings.

One minute there is a green check on the Status Bar of the Main Program showing that the Network is open and seeding ......

TorrentP1.jpg

and then the next minute the green check has toggled to a yellow triangle giving the message No Incoming Connection .....

TorrentP2.jpg

I just don't have a clue what in the world could be wrong ...

If I open the Speed Guide and run both the Bandwidth and Network at the same time ..

The Bandwidth will check okay and the Network won't, gives me a red X.

If I untick the Bandwidth forcing the Network to run on it's own, I get the green check that the port is open and okay.

I've never had this type of problem before .. I used to be able to download and seed with no problems .. I'm totally at a loss now.

This new program that I downloaded has set now for over two hours and so far nothing going on.

Thanks for any help.

Jenn

The newer versions of uTorrent (after v1.8.5) expect solid networking to handle the UDP-based uTP peer/seed types and also uses higher/faster connection rates.

I don't expect UPnP and/or NAT-PMP to be reliable, so if you're using that...it could explain why sometimes you get a green check while other times you do not.

Lately, lots of MAJOR torrent trackers are overloaded (and unreliable) or completely down. Check the Trackers window/tab at bottom for error messages on trackers.

The newer versions of uTorrent (after v1.8.5) expect solid networking to handle the UDP-based uTP peer/seed types and also uses higher/faster connection rates.

I don't expect UPnP and/or NAT-PMP to be reliable, so if you're using that...it could explain why sometimes you get a green check while other times you do not.

Lately, lots of MAJOR torrent trackers are overloaded (and unreliable) or completely down. Check the Trackers window/tab at bottom for error messages on trackers.

Hi again Switeck,

I just thought I'd tell you I'm using the newer version of uTorrent 2.0.4, Build 22150. My Router is a WRT150N .. maybe there is something wrong with it.

Today I've read tons of articles about Port Forwarding but thought that happened automatically and apparently my program is uploading sometimes because when I went to check what version of uTorrent I was using I found show statistics there and this is what showed.

Statistics.jpg

After reading about a static IP I'm not sure I want to tackle that as I could possibly knock my internet service out if I assigned something that could be duplicated.

Also when I tried disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping I got totally NOTHING ....it sat there for almost an hour with neither the yellow or green icons being displayed.

Per the Tracker information I only had 4 Trackers with one of them (the one I highlighted) being the one that came with the Test torrent I was trying per mcaspi's help message.

TrackerInfo.jpg

I appreciate your help, I have no clue what to do now.

Jenn malasmiley1.gif

I just don't have a clue what in the world could be wrong ...Jenn

DON'T MESS ANYMORE WITH THE SETTINGS AND DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME COZ ALL IS WORKING AS IT SHOULD!!!

What is wrong is that you still don't perfectly understand how BitTorrent works. There is no demand for the torrent you have so peers connect and disconnect again that why you get the yellow's and greens bellow. If uT worked before there is no reason for it not to work now.

"My Router is a WRT150N"

According to this chart:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,124/

...That router can't even handle 100 connections at once without at least minor problems.

Ok, since you're not doing a static IP and manual port forwarding...enable UPnP but not NAT-PMP in uTorrent. (Doing both at once can cause them to both conflict with each other ironically.)

The torrent tracker window you have a screenshot of shows working-as-designed behavior. I was worried your torrents have/had tracker errors.

mcaspi,

Because there is a difference between working.

...and working well.

Plus, I saw 2 failures:

One of perception (of what's happened/happening)

Another of expectations (of what's supposed to happen)

It's a little hard to tell if uTorrent is working correctly if it's not working well, you don't know how fast your line is, nor understand how uTorrent works.

I noticed in the statistics and tracker pictures an oddity -- Peer Exchange reported no seeds or peers on the torrent despite "working". Even if Peer Exchange only sees the same ips as reported by the tracker, it would still record SOME seeds and/or peers. That it has none means Peer Exchange hasn't been used. That could happen if you never connected to other peers or seeds and only had the tracker information to go by. Even if ALL the peers/seeds you did connect to had Peer Exchange disabled, uTorrent would still record them in the Peer Excange peer and seed lists.

DHT and the tracker report peers and/or seeds. But the numbers don't seem right -- DHT reports 6 seeds and 11 peers, while the tracker only reports 12 seeds. Both see information as past tense, definitely minutes old possibly hours old. The 11 peers NOT seen by the tracker could all be seeds now, but then 11 peers + 6 seeds is greater than 12 seeds. Some probably have quit. Others might be unable to connect to the tracker but able to connect to DHT, though I don't deem that scenario likely. So as far as the tracker is concerned only 12 seeds remain, which I deem to be more recent information about the torrent than DHT gave.

But...the statistics report 7 incoming and 10 outgoing connections, complete with 25 total handshakes. Don't you find it odd that there's been MORE handshakes than connections? How can it be that a single connection would be handshaked 2 times or more?

My guess is the torrent is now devoid of peers, JenniBee has only been running as a seed on that torrent since last starting uTorrent, the multiple handshakes might be caused by a dual uTP+TCP connection attempt counting as 1 connection, when the handshake is done the connection is quickly broken with the message "Disconnect: Is seed" (visible in Logger window/tab if you right-click and enable all but verbose logging) BEFORE Peer Exchange passes any information, and even the briefly connected-and-handshaked seeds are not counted by Peer Exchange.

JenniBee,

There seems little need or indeed little HOPE of being able to seed much when competing with 12 other seeds -- which may have just as much upload as yourself. Maybe over the course of 20+ additional new peers, you might be able to upload as much as you downloaded...but no telling how long that might take. The tracker reported 282 people downloaded the torrent, so if the torrent has only been on that tracker for a month...that's about 9 new peers per day. But if it's been up for 1 year, that's less than 1 new peer per day on average. At less than 1 peer a day, it could take months to seed back as much as you downloaded even if uTorrent has no trouble uploading to connected peers.

Switeck, JenniBee's "Download Today" shows a nice down download so it looks like the settings are ok in general. All she needs now, in my opinion, is the default settings and understanding why she doesn't upload. Add to this that she's exausted from messing with uT and the router. You're in "Advanced Mode" and she's in the "Fed Up Mode" so why continue making it hard on her?. It worked before, it works now (download, uploading not needed based on info above), let's close this topic.

Please bear with me I'm an old guy and completely at sea with technical stuff. I seem to have a similar problem to JenniBee.

Never had a problem downloading and uploading torrents but since I've installed the latest Beta version of uTorrent although downloads are still fine I don't seem to be uploading anything. When clicking on my tracker tab I've just noticed that unlike JenniBee my [DHT],[Local Peer Discovery] and [Peer Exchange] are all marked NOT ALLOWED.

I'm assuming that this is the problem (?) but don't know how to fix it, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response mcaspi. Surely the answer can't be that simple ?.

Just seems strange that recently EVERY torrent I've downloaded has no demand. I'm downloading popular tv torrents most of the time and until these last few weeks there's never been a lack of "demand".

It also seems odd that my DHT, Peer Discovery etc are listed as "Not Allowed" where as JenniBee who although also suffering with upload problems has her DHT, Peer Discovery etc listed as working.

Scratching my head here.

Each torrent is different with it's own characteristics. You're recent torrents are private (shared among a small group,outside users not allowed) with lots of seeders so the group upload to you(download ok). You should see in the Peers column 0(X) because there are no interested peers out there(upload ok but not needed).

Archived