Torrents now not downloading

NightPrince7

I moved into student halls at university 2 weeks ago. For the first 10 days or so, torrents were downloading well and at good speeds. However, the internet connection itself had regular outages which would last about 2 minutes at a time and would occur several times an hour. I e-mailed the service provider and they said they were aware of the problem and were trying to fix it.

Anyway, this problem now seems to be fixed for the most part, but unfortunately now none of my torrents will download! They all have the dreaded red arrow. Occasionally one will finish downloading but it's few and far between. When I try to "run tests" in the Setup Guide, I get a "connection failed error. timed out. (10060)" and the Network results say "port is not open (you are still able to download)".

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply; I thought the problem was fixed as things started downloading again, but now the previous problem has returned and all downloads are well and truly stuck:

No incoming connections on status bar; no green light :-(

Port checker says: Port is not open (you are still able to download).

Speed Guide shows settings to be:

Upload Limit 0.0kb/s

upload slots: 25

connections (per-torrent): 125

connections (global): 800

Max active torrents: 15

Max active downloads: 15

net.max_halfopen is 100

Running Windows Vista

I have ESET NOD32 antivirus 4.0.474.0 installed.

No router/modem - direct ethernet connection into wall on a university-run internet connection. DSL.

Your help is much appreciated; please let me know if you require any further details.

Thanks again.

Whatever is blocking is unreliable.

This wouldn't surprise me if it's a software firewall, bad networking, or ISP throttling...which means I don't consider the problem source narrowed down any. :(

Can you test (even briefly) with a different computer and/or ISP?

...Also try known-to-be-good test torrents mentioned in the 1st link in my signature.

Have tested my laptop on my friend's wireless connection and torrents there download fine. So I think it's the ethernet connection here that's the issue somehow.

Have just tried to start one of the known-to-be-good torrents but it will not start in uTorrent - it has a red arrow and says 0 (0) on both seeds and peers.

In the bottom status bar, it is now the red circle with a white exclamation mark inside it, and it says "Not connectable: A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you."

Archived