Azureus & Bitcomet compatible DHT? Side-by-side

akaidiot

Wait bitcomet's is incompatable with the DHT of bittorrent 4.x.x no way.

The protocol of DHT Network in BitComet is compatible with BitTorrent Beta 4.1.2, so that they can share the same network.

So chaos you tripping :) it is not a exclusive only the azureus network currently is. If any one is inline it is shareaza they multi network they have a LONG way to go though.

The benefit of implementing Azureus' DHT is that it has 600-700,000 users with DHT support on at any one moment, so it really shines when it's used. Could always implement both, if it's possible to do so.

I dont really like azureus and bitcomet for that idea.. Making an exclusive base for alternative downloads. I dont think its fair or at all inline with the entire idea of p2p and file sharing.

DHT is mainly to provide an alternate way of getting a peerlist when the tracker goes down, and why it's so useful, since some trackers are notorious for being inaccessible quite often (thepiratebay).

While it does provide for the possibility of DHT-only (trackerless) torrents, it doesn't really seem to be in use. Also, it wouldn't be so bad if that was used, since one provides magnet URIs so that trackerless torrent could be accessed.

Magnet URIs also work for normal torrents too, which could help offload the bandwidth use onto the DHT network when it's a big or popular torrent.

Most trackers actually don't use the private flag, except the private trackers (and even they're fairly spotty on it, probably because of the users). Besides, you don't have to turn DHT off on a private tracker if the client respects the private flag. I know Azureus does, but does BitComet?

BitComet supposedly does, but I remember reading somewhere (was it linked in this forum somewhere?) that it isn't working properly, so it's still getting banned from some trackers. I could be wrong though ;P

I think it would be not that useful feature since most normal trackers don't allow using dht torrents anyway.

I think the DHT torrent thing you're talking about are those specified by Bram (where torrents are exclusively DHT or tracker-based). Either way, in BitComet and Azureus, torrents don't have to be made DHT to use DHT, so kind of a moot point there =

I've mentioned this before, but private trackers should pick up the slack and enforce a rule forcing people to upload only torrents with the private flag. If they don't do at least that much, then they aren't all that serious (IMO) about keeping the torrents private. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement some kind of on-the-fly checking when someone uploads a torrent (not that I could do it myself, but...). Torrent clients with DHT support and don't respect the private flag should be banned.

Anyway, vurlix already said Azureus DHT support will probably be added in the future (alongside the mainline/BitComet DHT) =]

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys, I feelt like bumping this also. Since it's been a while since this was disscussed.

Also there is another old thread about this matter: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=1158

I belive that the intresst for having both the standard DHT support and Azureus DHT is large.

Cause Some times when starting up old dead torrents with dead trackers you don't allways find Seeds on the regular DHT but you do on the Azureus DHT network. And vice versa.

Isn't it possible to support both the allready included DHT aswell as the azureus DHT?

Why are you thinking in such limited terms "If you want to connect to the Azureus DHT swarm then run azureus." ?

I prefer utorrent before azureus, so why shouldn't I put some feedback/idéas of mine to help make utorrent better? You should stop thinking inside a box man! Adapt Adjust, and we(utorrent) shall overcome! Survival of the fittest!

I just found out that azureus seems to connect to the utorrent DHT Swarm.

I say sky's the limit!

More peers = better.

And adding more sources to get peers doesn't seem harmful unless it's a fact that Azureus DHT is a security risk and it can't be circumvented.

Azureus DHT would be a fair amount of work to implement.. the proper way to merge the swarms is with PEX, and through PEX most of the DHT peers would be picked up.

Azureus was supposed to supersede their own message protocol with the enhanced message protocol - that uTorrent PEX is built on - that everything else uses a LONG time ago, but they haven't done it by saying that it isn't a complete spec (on their wiki). Az DHT would be a pain in the ass for uT devs to do, but uT PEX would be easy for Az devs, so if you want to go hound someone to implement something, go complain to the Azureus devs.

I think it would be not that useful feature since most normal trackers don't allow using dht torrents anyway.

And for every hundred of those "normal" (euphemism for private) trackers, theres a massively indexed public tracker that could swallow the lot of them whole. And DHT is all about rendering trackers moot anyway, so people can find stuff without the arcane and degrading rituals of having to kiss a lot of cliquish middleman's toes along the way.

I want DHT of all stripes and flavors, and I want it yesterday.

As I understand it Azureus DHT is a security risk

No it isn't.

I just found out that azureus seems to connect to the utorrent DHT Swarm.

No it doesn't. You might be confusing it with peer exchange information.

Az DHT would be a pain in the ass for uT devs to do, but uT PEX would be easy for Az devs, so if you want to go hound someone to implement something, go complain to the Azureus devs

You're confusing PEX with DHT.

Archived