P2P download speed is slow when connected through WRT610N Router

AlexQ

Hi guys,

Basically, if i connect my pc directly to the modem I am able to achieve speeds of up to 2-3mbs per torrent but the moment I plug my router in, my speed drops all the way down to 10kps. I am using DD-wrt firmware and manually portforwarded utorrent.

Anybody facing similar issues but managed to resolve this?

Wow that was fast :)

My SPI firewall is turned off and the TCP timeout is set at 3600 and UDP at 120

Here is a picture to display the difference, both of them are tested afew minutes apart with and without a router

Without router:

fasterspeed.png

With router:

slowassspeed.png

I noticed that the amount of seeders I get is also halved.

Mega actually installs a LOT of stuff that you don't need to run all the features on the router.

You can probably get away with standard (which is what I'm running on my WRT54GL with no problems)

I'm just trying to figure out what else is different between the two.

Ok I reverted back to the original firmware, the problem with my torrent with a router seem to be that the amount of seeders are very low and they only tend to upload to me at speed of 0.1-0.2kbs.

The number of seeds present ultimately has no bearing on the speed of a torrent.

I was referring to DD-WRT standard, not linksys official when I mentioned standard.

Oh, ok.

Does it come down to the fact that WRT610N can't really handle P2P that well? I've searched the entire router settings page and most of it has no effect on P2P, my ports are opened when tested and my internet speed is fairly fast (80% of advertised speed), eager to get this resolved because all my torrents currently take agggess to complete with a router.

It may, but I'd try dd-wrt standard with the above settings first.

Double-check to make sure the SPI firewall function is set to disabled. DD-WRT has it enabled by default and it causes a LOT of problems with performance.

I've tested it, don't see a difference - I know my speed aren't really limited by the router because I just had one seeder who is constantly uploading the file to me at 800kbs but it's only from one guy and the rest are like 0.1kbs, it's very unstable because I have to be lucky to grab fast uploaders and they tend to disappear randomly.

Your ISP may be to blame, because it seems to throttle/disrupt international traffic.

They do throttle but not to the extend where I won't exceed 10kbs, furthermore the problem disappears when I don't use a router so I believe it has something to do with the router.

EDIT: Just got authorised to replace my router by Linksys, going to see whether it fixes the problem.

Archived