iPhone WebUI Webapp Tweaks

bennyboy2791

I've noticed that even though the WebUI is working very nice (at least for me), there are a few things that can be modified to make the experience on an iPhone as a webapp a little bit nicer.

First of is simply the title. Since the iPhone is capable of displaying 'µ' on the SpringBoard, perhaps the title should be renamed to simply µTorrent. Though it doesn't look that great...

IMG_0001.PNG

Next that can be added easily is a splash screen, which makes it feel more native.

IMG_0002.PNG

Here is the original file if you'd like to use it.

startup.png

Much like the icon that is a simple meta-tag, splash screen is enabled with:

<link rel="apple-touch-startup-image" href="startup.png" />

Making the webapp chromeless also brings more screen estate for the application.

IMG_0003.PNG

This is done by:

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />

A problem I could not show with screenshots was the width of the page. It appears to be slightly bigger than the iPhone's screen which allows the user to scroll horizontally. It is much easier to understand if you could see it.

Finally, with a bit of CSS, I believe the navigation bar can stay on the top of the screen even when scrolling down, making it more native behaving.

I hope this is the right place to post this, if anyone as suggestions or comments, I would love to hear them!

Edit: It seems that the width problem is only on the login portion of the app. Managing torrents works as expected.

Edit: Woo! it seems that my startup image is actually being used! I feel quite honored. Also, there is no longer a scrolling issue on the login portion.

Archived