Stuck at a max of 24kbps

THRobinson75

If you can't test with a different (and probably better) modem...or test the computer on a different line...it will be impossible to isolate which is the problem. :(

Nope.... unless I shell out $75 and buy a modem from the ISP. :(

Annoyingly... this apartment has 1 phone jack only coming in, I might check the wires inside the wall tomorrow, in case some are lose, but then again, speed tests and line quality tests I've run say it's fine.

Might format the computer tomorrow and reinstall from scratch. Should eliminate some potential issues... I saw no comments about that big list of processes I attached so assuming no apparent issues/conflicts running, but... I tend to format the computer every 6 months anyway, just to clear it out and ensure all current drivers/versions installed.

I unpacked my MAC G5 tower yesterday (finally) and could give that a try though. I try to avoid installing anything to it though simply because it's strictly for design and photography work, but, can give uTorrent a try on there... if uTorrent has a MAC version I never checked. :)

Modem wise though... is this a bad brand or something? Use to be a BELL modem, but, I flashed it and unlocked it, now says SingTel when I access it, 2Wire 2701HG-G model... never had issues with it until a few days ago. And again, worked the first day no problem... that's what's really buggin' me.

3'rd time:
What do you have in Bandwidth setting, "Maximum download rate"?.

The fact that Vuze is working fine means it's something wrong with the settings. What do your Setup Guide settings show now?.

1) I setup the settings as per the conservative speed guide, so whatever it said to use I tried.

2) Vuze didn't work... I tried it, same issue. If it did work I'd uninstall uTorrent and save myself the time of troubleshooting and wasting another day on it. :D

ISP contacted me back... gotta say, I'm a bit PO'd at the reply. They really should have this stuff on their website where consumers can see what they're potentially going to have to deal with. I'll try their suggestion when I get home tonight... failing that I think I'll just look for another ISP. This REALLY shouldn't be this difficult.

Though... nothing yet has explained why it worked 100% perfect for 1 whole day. :S

------------

Email from Teksavvy

------------

Hello,

We don't throttle on our side but we do use Bell's last mile and you can pass through a DPI box that can do some traffic shaping.

I would suggest setting up some Port Forwarding which could fix some of the issues. You may want to look into something like MLPPP might work. Here is some info regarding it

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23663339-Everything-MLPPP

TekSavvy Support Team

Hmm... from that chart, I have 0 options. :D

No cable so need DSL w/dryloop... plus a few of those places aren't in the area.

Then again, being Wikipedia I'm not sure how accurate it is. Again, I have 2 friends with Teksavvy and 0 throttle. ISP says they don't, but chart says they do... I dunno... almost wish I didn't move. My last ISP (Hay Communications) was awesome... full speed, no limit. Cable though.

Well... I give up... the list of what to do/try just keeps getting bigger and more over my head, and so far not getting any results at all.

I'm flat out annoyed at my ISP for their poor response when I asked about throttling, and when I replied back asking why this isn't on their site they ceased communications.

I've spent over 8h of time on this issue and still no idea if it's a setting on my end, or a throttle with the ISP.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys, was hoping it was a simple fix but, I think I'm screwed.

Sadly tried that port already with no luck.

After all the changes I've done I figured best to reset everything back to defaults again. Deleted the network card, uTorrent config files, and reset the modem.

Turned everything off, turned it all on and setup the modem. Tried uTorrent, and the Setup Guide detected everything working at full speed again, download speed was just a hair over 500kbps.... for maybe 5min.

Now back to detecting my upload speed at 64kbps, and my download speed at 28.8kbps.

Sad to see a download speed half that of the upload.

All I did was add a port to the firewall. I since deleted the rule but, uTorrent says 28.8kbps still, and the port says not open but still able to download.

Worked for about 5min, then went back to normal. :S

If you're not going to get much, might as well maximize what you get...

Disable UPnP, NAT-PMP, DHT (both kinds), LPD, and Resolve IPs.

Might want to disable Bandwidth Management (uTP) as well?

Lower bt.connect_speed to only 1-4 outgoing connection attempts per second. (Still pretty "noisy".)

Lower net.max_halfopen to only 4-8 half open TCP outgoing connections at a time.

Disable incoming legacy connections, FORCE outgoing encryption.

Reduce global max connections to something like 30-50 and per torrent connection max to 10-30.

Tracker updates will still be "in the clear", which is one way the DPI equipment identifies BitTorrent traffic. But there probably won't be the usual 50+ connections at once all to your listening port for them to key into.

Thanks but, already tried all that when I got home today as per one of the previous links... 3rd one in your footer I think... didn't see any changes... if any it would have been in the 1-2kbps range.

It's looking more and more likely to be a throttle from BELL since Teksavvy is using their lines. Just a fluke I guess, my 2 friends must not go through that DPI box the tech mentioned.

Just overly annoyed that 'potential throttling' isn't even mentioned in passing on their site. More so annoyed that their 'fix' is to pay $4/month extra for MLPPP which I think also means forking out even more money for another modem/router and having a mess of wires all over for something that "might" fix the issue.

It's a shame... support/service is just going way downhill. Hoped with a small company it would be better. Hay Communications, where I use to live... small office next to a corn field... excellent service.

Checked out that forum you linked... wow a lot of fanboys on there don't like when you knock Teksavvy...

But... few helpful people and seems indeed, wouldn't matter what I did with uTorrent, Bell is throttling at a DPI (whatever that is).

Looks like I have to fork over the extra coin for the MLPPP, which means buying a router as well. so much for the cheap alternative to Bell/Rogers but, I use uTorrent all the time and 25kbps just isn't cutting it. :D

Thanks guys/Switeck

Archived