µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Simon100: Yes, several people have reported the issue (myself included). Last time I tested it, it appeared to be linked to heavy disk activity (so essentially, high transfer rates).

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=85484

Just did a test on a 1.5Mbps/384 WAN w/ virtually no disk activity and uTorrent STILL froze. It appears, connections related as a leading factor.... sometimes it'll freeze with no torrents running. If I have a couple hundred opened and I changed ports, uTorrent freezes, even though there was negligible disk activity.

Indeed, did a bit more testing just earlier, and it seems like it may have been coincidental -- or maybe it happens more frequently with more network/disk activity. For the most part, I only get very short hangs, but every now and then, I get hangs that last upwards of 5 seconds. Based on the way I'm stating this, it may seem like it's a rare occurrence, but the fact that several people have been complaining about this in recent weeks indicates that it isn't actually that rare.

It doesn't happen for me every time I try changing the settings, but it happens often enough. So the only real problem is figuring out how to reproduce these long hangs reliably enough to debug. Just repeatedly pressing Ctrl+P and Enter eventually induces a hang, and I've reported it accordingly. Seems like alus is sorta investigating it too (he's been seeing hangs on occasion as well).

Edit: Alrighty. So alus tracked the bug down to potentially being a problem with closesocket() randomly taking a long time to complete on Windows 7 (the only OS he and I have available to test). Interestingly, I also noticed a while back that all of the reports on this problem were also from users running Windows 7. Not sure if it also affects other OSes based on the more current NT kernels (Vista/7/2008), and so far, I have yet to see any reports from the older kernels (2000/XP/2003). So... just to confirm (Simon100), what OS are you running?

For people experiencing choker problems. If you have time, you could generate a log to assist me in debugging that. That would be very helpful!

Enabling logging is a bit involved:

- Exit uTorrent

- Open settings.dat with Bencode Editor (

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 )

- Delete the .fileguard key (while you're at it msg Firon and tell him to remove the .fileguard feature entirely)

- Add (or edit) the logger_mask key (make sure it's an "integer" type)

and set it to -1

- Save and exit Bencode Editor

- Run: uTorrent.exe /LOGFILE output.log

- Reproduce your speed problems

- Exit uTorrent

- Email / private message output.log to me ( do not post it online! )

Quite involved. If you need help with any of the steps above, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

One alternative is to use WebUI to set it for you too:

http://localhost:port/gui/?action=setsetting&s=logger_mask&v=-1

This works under the assumption that you've set up the login for WebUI, and disabled webui.token_auth (temporarily anyway). Advantage here is that you don't have to get involved with manually editing settings.dat, or restarting the client. Disadvantage is that you have to remember to restore the WebUI-related settings afterwards. Logging to file can be handled via the usual Logger context menu item.

utorrent.jpg

Highlited torrent is just downloaded from popular show torrent site using DHT, rest of the torrents are from private tracker (TL) there since 6:30 this morning so 14 hours 30min right now and you see crap ratios...

Basicaly again no matter how many peers it seems it only uploads to 3-4 peers at once and then speed depends on their connection and not mine... I was downloading that episode from public tracker with 2.1MB/s avarage peeking on 4MB just before it was downloaded. Just... upload sux!

also consider this:

Win7 x64 bit, 6GB ram, raid0 with 3 disks, Q9450 CPU overclocked to 3.6ghz

utorrent settings: max connection count 2000, 150 per torrent, 15 upload slots/torrent, bandwidth unlimited, bt.connect_speed is currently set to 10 (i used to use higher values as well like 15 and 20 no difference and also no difference on default 7), net.disable_incoming_ipv6 = false because im using proper ipv6 protocol (no teredo tunnels) and i dont have utorrent hangup issues.

Win7 are FULLY patched also using latest tcpip driver from MS support site 6.1.7600.20789, over the months i was using many different tcpip drivers that where released on MS without any change... upload just stoped working sometimes in august i belive after holidays...

network:

lan: 1gbit/s, 8 port SWITCH, i saw lan transferes on lan up to 60-70MB/s (disk capped and not network capped)

internet: 50/50mbit FTTH ipv4, using ipv6 tunnel/subnet from sixxs, every local computer gets assigned also outside ipv6 address so ipv6 is more or less "done" properly and not over crappy teredo

router: some old PC with 2.4ghz intel cpu, 1gb ram runing linux with everything that goes along like iptables firewall, miniupnpd for upnp portforwarding, always updates to latest kernel, conn track set to like 32k, cpu/ram utilization on router is never over 10-15% (except when im transfering files over samba server with 60MB/s+ it peeks to ~50%)

i dont see how anything can be wrong with my setup... i also dont consider my self as someone that would go cry on forums unless he would be 100% sure everything is working as it should on his side...

edit: also my brother just told me he have issues with his new disk... ever since he bought new WD disk with 64MB of cache he gets "disk overloaded" warnings VERY fast when he didnt before... for example runing movie, browsing and utorrent with 3-4 torrents runing gives him frequent disk overload error...

15 upload slots/torrent

there is no such setting in latest v 2.2 :(

Now i see... this seems indeed to be a case... i know i rememeber setting from before, i guess it was removed at certain point... There was a setting when you could set number of upload slots and there was some checkbox that used even more update slots if you didnt reach bandwidth limit... not sure when this was removed, but im certain i saw it at least in early 2.2 builds...

right, it was so. So, are you testing with the latest RC (w/o this setting)? what build # ?

yes im using latest RC (22732), i was talking about settings from my head as i remembered them and not actualy looking what is avilable this days...

Edit: Alrighty. So alus tracked the bug down to potentially being a problem with closesocket() randomly taking a long time to complete on Windows 7 (the only OS he and I have available to test). Interestingly, I also noticed a while back that all of the reports on this problem were also from users running Windows 7. Not sure if it also affects other OSes based on the more current NT kernels (Vista/7/2008), and so far, I have yet to see any reports from the older kernels (2000/XP/2003). So... just to confirm (Simon100), what OS are you running?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 & Windows 2008 Server R2 x64 Standard Edition as I no longer have anything w/ 4GB or less of memory.

Edit (Ultima): Snipped unnecessary quote...

There is an issue with the taskbar icon in win7. On start of the application it uses the old icon, if I then pin it to the taskbar it still uses the old icon. If I then unpin it from the taskbar it changes to the new icon. But then if I pin it to the taskbar again OR restart the application it changes back to the old icon.

Is there something I should be doing to clear out the icon cache or something? Or should utorrent be able to resolve this itself?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 & Windows 2008 Server R2 x64 Standard Edition as I no longer have anything w/ 4GB or less of memory.

Can you give us a system dump when you get the hang?

http://download.sysinternals.com/files/notmyfault.zip

If you download this utility (NotMyFault), you can run it from the command prompt like so and generate a dump: NotMyFault.exe /crash

This will generate a MEMORY.DMP in %SystemRoot% (your Windows directory). You can then compress and upload this somewhere. I can email you our private FTP details if you have no place to upload it.

Yes... you may however encounter some upload chokes.

However I figure we are close to a solution to that problem once they roll out the unchoked build. At least I hope it will be soon.

In fact if you encounter the problem and wish to help follow Greg Hazel's steps up in the thread.

• Improved set download location/relocate feature (now moves files for you)
  • Show add torrent dialog for magnet links
    great features! :D
  • Global run-command feature on torrent completion/state change
    can this be delayed for a bit on startup?
    I'm using a messagebox & I'm getting 2 messages for every torrent in the list & it takes AGES to clear the screen up :(
  • Add option to pause torrents when user activity is detected on the computer
    can this be changed to only slow, rather than stop as peers go away if they get nothing from me :(

-- 2010-10-22: Version 2.2 RC2 (build 22732)

- Fix: run command wouldn't trigger on downloading->finished state change

works for me - XP sp2

- Fix: tell explorer to reload app icon on client update

not noticed a problem

Archived