µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not new to uTorrent but I am new to here - I have found that with v 2.2 it hogs CPU resources when more than 3 or 4 torrents are being DL'd or UL'd (doesn't matter which)... using the exact same settings with 2.0.4 all is fine and no noticeable effects... but with 2.2 (and no other changes to the PC) it attempts to use 100% of CPU with the obvious effect everything grinds to a halt.

Like I say - settings not changed from 2.0.4... so whilst I have seen similar items on here with resolutions on the problems... for me 2.0.4 works and 2.2 not... assumption... something changed that results in the issue, as such I am sticking with 2.0.4 for now (especially given the other reports by people on this forum regarding slower DL & UL speeds with 2.2) and I will check new versions as they come along!

Strange that ut seems to leave another thread behind, usually when my connection drops and when I reconnect it wont release the cpu. Even exiting ut wont fix this so I have to terminate the process and reload it. Must be multithreading and losing connection makes it get stuck. This is the only time I have noticed the high cpu usage although the rechecking is slower.

I'm a little worried about connection count in this new version as well. My router is a Linksys WRT300Nv1 running DD-WRT 15693 (a well reported on/tested, positively reviewed current build) with IP Filter settings tweaked for P2P (4096 max ports, TCP timeout=120, UDP timeout=90). uTorrent is set to a global max connection count of 500, with 100 per torrent, 5 active downloads at a time on my 20mbit/2mbit cable connection.

With the full 5 downloading, no other torrents, and Statistics reporting 503 connections, why do I see 1700 open connections in DD-WRT's LAN status? My timeouts should cut down on ghosts. This is a little disconcerting.

Peer tab isn't focused, but yeah, I imagine DHT would add, what, 1 connection for every node? So there's another ~300, and of course the constant connecting out to new peers and incoming connections.. 500 + 300, plus.. 200ish every 2 minutes (before the old ones timeout sounds reasonable) only = 1000. Nothing else is happening on this computer, leaving 700 unaccounted for. One torrent just finished so I removed it to see the effect. 1400 now. So, 300 on 1 torrent. That actually makes for better math in retrospect as 300 x 5 = 1500 + DHT could very well ~= 1700.

I must say, though, if a limit of 100 per torrent is set, one would think that should include incoming, as it's number of connections, period. So what would you recommend? Slowing it down by changing the default bt.connect_speed of 7? What would I change it to to make it slower to test?

Seems to be a problem with the relocate command. If I relocate to file1.txt and do a recheck it will download it and work fine. If I then go and relocate it to file2.txt it renames file1.txt to file2.txt. This should not be happening. UT should not be renaming existing files at all. It should either download file2.txt again like older versions or use an existing file2.txt if present. It should leave file1.txt as it is. This took a while to figure out since I could not understand what was happening with files disappearing and some torrents coming up and saying missing files even though they worked fine before. I know you can rename files in the same window by clicking on the file itself like many of the explorer windows and changing its name. But it should not rename it if its only changed in the file name: file location is used. I only noticed this problem since i upgraded from an older utorrent.

There are also some other problems like unable to change name from file1.txt to file2.txt to file3.txt. It leaves at at file1.txt or file2.txt etc instead of the new name.. This is not renaming the file but relocating it to download to a new filename instead of the default name inside the torrent.

AlienTech: This is not a bug, it's a feature. Actually. That's why you only notice it since you upgraded. It's been long requested that when you change location of existing downloads/files it move them as well to save you the extra steps of moving/renaming it yourself.

AlienTech: This is not a bug, it's a feature. Actually. That's why you only notice it since you upgraded. It's been long requested that when you change location of existing downloads/files it move them as well to save you the extra steps of moving/renaming it yourself.

Not sure what you mean here, move the file? I did not even know such a thing existed other than move the torrent after it finished from the unfinished directory.

but it should not rename move files etc other wise... Many of us seed to multiple sites etc and we cant have something automatically delete and change files when a program is not a file manager. And when you have hundreds of torrents it becomes a nightmare to even figure out whats going on when a program starts doing things like this. The relocate command was a great feature with multiple sites due to this feature as we did not have to replicate the entire file set to seed to multiple sites as only the text files inside changed..

Okay after calming down a bit I have tried to figure out how this works although I still have had no luck with some of them since some torrents have many sites and all the renaming was confusing and I gave up after trying to fix 10 or so torrents but I now know why some of the things have happened. But I have purposely not gone to see the help file on how this works to see if I can figure it out, as there are a huge number of posts on many many forums and help topics on the web on how to help people seed to many sites etc using the relocate command using the old method and this would really confuse the issue quite a bit. You should really never ever change the way a command works since the procedure would be all over the web in a few weeks anyway. And even if the new way was posted later, there would be pages and pages away from where the web search took you to. Maybe this should have been a new command like rename instead of relocate or maybe even move. The commands are inverted since what I am doing is really rename and what its doing currently is a real relocate but its already done for years the old way so too late to switch it now. Changing the old way to a new command name would just confuse and make it harder. And when people get confused and things dont work the way as expected eg by reading a help post on how to do things, you pretty much start to lose intrest in doing it with that program.

I can't get uTorrent 2.2 to start with wine 1.2. Google says I'm not alone.

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x4c2778 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 001c, retrying (60 sec)err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x4c2778 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 001c, retrying (60 sec)err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x4c2778 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 001c, retrying (60 sec)

I am using V2.2 23071, There seems to be a problem with the relocate command which changes the file name to use. I use multiple sites and I download from 1 site and seed to many but for some reason the txt files inside the torrents wont match at all the sites so I have to change it to multiple versions. But for some reason this version of ut will sometimes come up and say files missing and it wont accept the new file and keeps the old file name. These were completed torrents and were seeding until I restarted ut again. I was using v1.85 etc which did not have this problem. I hae to change it to entire new filename and redownload the unmacthed files to continue. This does not happen to all the torrents so I dont know what is wrong, maybe a memory leak or something. I dont change ut versions so its just that something does not get saved or over written or something that only happens in like 1 in 10 cases.
Seems to be a problem with the relocate command. If I relocate to file1.txt and do a recheck it will download it and work fine. If I then go and relocate it to file2.txt it renames file1.txt to file2.txt. This should not be happening. UT should not be renaming existing files at all. It should either download file2.txt again like older versions or use an existing file2.txt if present. It should leave file1.txt as it is. This took a while to figure out since I could not understand what was happening with files disappearing and some torrents coming up and saying missing files even though they worked fine before. I know you can rename files in the same window by clicking on the file itself like many of the explorer windows and changing its name. But it should not rename it if its only changed in the file name: file location is used. I only noticed this problem since i upgraded from an older utorrent.

There are also some other problems like unable to change name from file1.txt to file2.txt to file3.txt. It leaves at at file1.txt or file2.txt etc instead of the new name.. This is not renaming the file but relocating it to download to a new filename instead of the default name inside the torrent.

AlienTech: This is not a bug' date=' it's a feature. Actually. That's why you only notice it since you upgraded. It's been long requested that when you change location of existing downloads/files it move them as well to save you the extra steps of moving/renaming it yourself.[/color']

Not sure what you mean here, move the file? I did not even know such a thing existed other than move the torrent after it finished from the unfinished directory.

but it should not rename move files etc other wise... Many of us seed to multiple sites etc and we cant have something automatically delete and change files when a program is not a file manager. And when you have hundreds of torrents it becomes a nightmare to even figure out whats going on when a program starts doing things like this. The relocate command was a great feature with multiple sites due to this feature as we did not have to replicate the entire file set to seed to multiple sites as only the text files inside changed..

Okay after calming down a bit I have tried to figure out how this works although I still have had no luck with some of them since some torrents have many sites and all the renaming was confusing and I gave up after trying to fix 10 or so torrents but I now know why some of the things have happened. But I have purposely not gone to see the help file on how this works to see if I can figure it out, as there are a huge number of posts on many many forums and help topics on the web on how to help people seed to many sites etc using the relocate command using the old method and this would really confuse the issue quite a bit. You should really never ever change the way a command works since the procedure would be all over the web in a few weeks anyway. And even if the new way was posted later, there would be pages and pages away from where the web search took you to. Maybe this should have been a new command like rename instead of relocate or maybe even move. The commands are inverted since what I am doing is really rename and what its doing currently is a real relocate but its already done for years the old way so too late to switch it now. Changing the old way to a new command name would just confuse and make it harder. And when people get confused and things dont work the way as expected eg by reading a help post on how to do things, you pretty much start to lose intrest in doing it with that program.

This has been annoying me for quite some time now. See if my post sounds similar to what you're talking about:

Posted on 10-04-2010:

I just noticed a problem recently:

I used to be able to use the "Relocate..." option on a file in the files tab to get µTorrent to read from a different file in the same folder (for seeding). I have to do this when I want to download a torrent from one tracker and seed it to that tracker and to a second tracker at the same time, where only the nfo file is different in the torrents.

I have 2 of the same torrent (different hashes, same files except for nfo) loaded into µTorrent from 2 different trackers and the only difference between the 2 torrents is the nfo file. One tracker has that torrent with a UNIX nfo file and the second tracker has a DOS nfo file, but otherwise they are exactly the same torrents with the same files.

Now, if I download the torrent (UNIX nfo file) from one tracker and try to load the same torrent (DOS nfo file) from a second tracker to seed to it, µTorrent will hash check the torrent, but since the nfo files don't match, that part of it plus the shared pieces around it will be red in the files tab, and it will try to download those pieces if started. This means not only that it wastes bandwidth downloading the same files over but it also breaks the original torrent from the first tracker because it overwrites the UNIX nfo file with the DOS nfo file.

So, I was very happy when µTorrent gained the "Relocate..." option because now I could get around this problem. If I wanted to download the torrent only once from one tracker and only have one copy of the torrent folder/files on my hard drive and still be able to seed to both trackers from there, I could simply use the procedure below:

What I would do is convert the "file.nfo" (UNIX to DOS) from the downloaded torrent files (from the first tracker) and save it to "file.dos.nfo" (in the same folder) and then point the "file.nfo" in the torrent from the second tracker to the converted file (file.dos.nfo) using the "Relocate..." option in the files tab. Then, when I rechecked the torrent from the second tracker, all the files were blue and I could seed to it without having to re-download any files. This also meant that I could continue seeding the original torrent from the same folder to the first tracker using "file.nfo".

Well, I just tried to do this with the latest build and it doesn't work anymore. It doesn't let me point the "file.nfo" to "file.dos.nfo" located in the same folder using the "Relocate..." option. This is probably because it now tries to actually move the file when using the "Relocate..." option. And moving the file doesn't help me...it's not what I want to do. I simply want to point µTorrent to read from the other file (file.dos.nfo).

This is a problem for me because I now can't do what I was able to do before.

I'm not sure whether "- Fix: relocating of single files" or more likely "- Fix: Make 'Set Download Location...' actually move the torrented data" messed this up as I don't have access to previous builds to test this.

Either way, I would appreciate an option to be able to turn off µTorrent's moving of files when using the "Relocate..." option. Or just make it so that I'm able to point one file to another file like I used to. Thanks.

Anyway I have found a workaround for this problem but I still think it should be fixed (e.g. make it another option or let us turn automatic relocation off so it behaves like before).

Noticed 2 bugs so far.

1. Tray icon sometimes dissapears, even though the option to always show tray icon is selected. Especially when the computer enters standby this happens, but not only then, it also happens when the computer runs like usual.

2. If in a torrent I relocate one file that was not yet downloaded, but in the download folder there is a file named just like the file I want to relocate, that file is moved/renamed. This happens when I download the same torrent from different trackers.

Anyway I have found a workaround for this problem but I still think it should be fixed (e.g. make it another option or let us turn automatic relocation off so it behaves like before).

I did not know about these changes so I thought it was a bug in ut. But even knowing is not helping since ut seems to delete files and change the old files to the new name. What I did was to make a copy of the file and point to that copy which seems to work.. But mostly I think this is my problem in not reading the help file. But I figure most people would not go read a help file and do things themselves or ask how to do it in a forum. But if its this complicated that you do have to read the help file then we go to a different level now on par with the likes of azeureus which has so many command and some are so hard to figure out that its not for beg or intermediate users. You cant tell your aunt to load up something and download this or that from there.

of course there are advanced commands that only high level users would mess with and I read the help to do something. But considering I started using 300 baud modems and terminals this is something that sure confused me. at least now I dont have to whistle into the handset to start a connection.

Archived