µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely with such a big version jusmp there should be more info for it and deatiled change log.

Last change log entry

-- 2010-11-10: Version 2.2 (build 23071)

Now if download a the version you get a big leap to

utorrent 2.2 (build 23235)

Will hold of using the new version until i know what is changed. I see icons have changed and have the old icon pack ready for when changes are known.

Wonder why the sudden change to be silent. Or has this version been handed over to someone that doesn't care for the changelog upkeep, to keep us informed.

@ Registered: I think that 'someone' (or two people) talked Firon into one too many changes. Something got screwed-up because Firon was 'pushed' into making an unnecessary change. :lol: .... Am I right guys? .... I think that the version upgrade was to "delete the extra verbose logging," at least that is what I read, before the new product was removed. .... Keep using 23071 "Registered" until the children are finished 'playing.' :D

If it works properly for the average advanced user then it doesn't pay to make nit-picking changes for no reason. This isn't a nuclear physics lab, nor does it need to be. :P

TorrentDaddy, you don't know what you're talking about. Regardless of how many changes were made or backported it'll have a more recent build number due to the common code base they all share. The build number increases regardless of how many actual changes are made in the 2.2 branch. If they don't announce the changes then it is installer only changes, this has been said MANY times.

this has been said MANY times

...and it was wrong in all of those times. Latest build # should always be on record no marrwe what the reason for it was! No one has to ask/guess BT inc unique reasoning for it, especially when he has a link directing him to the empty changelog. Firon, being too lazy to write "installer changes" is no excuse.

And yes, I've said it many times, and I'll say it again, negatively... :P

Further more i know of at least one site who will not add the latest build to it's allowed clients list without an official announcment so i think that for everyone sake firon should officially announce every build regardless of what changes were made weather it's in the client or the installer.

You can say whatever you like on those sites. Regardless, the fact remains that publishing latest build numbers in the history/log (to be in sync with what the user see in the help->about, is done in all professional applications/sites. I'm sure the devs here do not want BT Inc to be looked as a bunch of amatures... An this is one of those small things that makes the difference!

My 2 cents....

I'm sure it's not hard to tell us what the changes are regardless of how big or small the changes are. Therefore, it should be done to inform it's users of any changes, even minor ones. Please take this into consideration the next time you make a change to the uTorrent build number.

I am using V2.2 23071, There seems to be a problem with the relocate command which changes the file name to use. I use multiple sites and I download from 1 site and seed to many but for some reason the txt files inside the torrents wont match at all the sites so I have to change it to multiple versions. But for some reason this version of ut will sometimes come up and say files missing and it wont accept the new file and keeps the old file name. These were completed torrents and were seeding until I restarted ut again. I was using v1.85 etc which did not have this problem. I hae to change it to entire new filename and redownload the unmacthed files to continue. This does not happen to all the torrents so I dont know what is wrong, maybe a memory leak or something. I dont change ut versions so its just that something does not get saved or over written or something that only happens in like 1 in 10 cases.

You can say whatever you like on those sites. Regardless, the fact remains that publishing latest build numbers in the history/log (to be in sync with what the user see in the help->about, is done in all professional applications/sites. I'm sure the devs here do not want BT Inc to be looked as a bunch of amatures... An this is one of those small things that makes the difference!

My 2 cents....

As a professional developer and a holder of certifications in software development I wholeheartedly agree with Rafi on this. It may seem like a minor issue, but not supplying complete and timely changelogs is part of projecting a professional appearance [and one that I'm sadly just as guilty of at times]. This point has been raised multiple times. Sites that restrict based on the versions and builds need this to be done, how else are they to keep their configurations up to date?

Nothing much, but version 2.0.4 atleast doesn't inform about the update to 2.2. I've set it to check for updates automatically on startup, and I even tried using the Help --> Check for Updates, but it just says There is no new version available at this time.

Some (read: many) users might miss out on the new version completely! I stumbled upon the version 2.2 accidentally, when I reinstalled Windows on my main computer and went to utorrent.com to download uTorrent.

Running 2.2 now on this laptop, too. Great job you've done, no complaints so far.

Edit: typo

They're not sure if the secret changes are running stable, so uTorrent v2.2 is not set up to auto-update just yet. If there's no major reports of problems with uT v2.2 it will be on auto-update probably within a week or 2.

...That is preferable to having millions of people "upgrading" to a disastrously buggy version like has happened in the recent past even with earlier v2.0.4 builds.

Not new to uTorrent but I am new to here - I have found that with v 2.2 it hogs CPU resources when more than 3 or 4 torrents are being DL'd or UL'd (doesn't matter which)... using the exact same settings with 2.0.4 all is fine and no noticeable effects... but with 2.2 (and no other changes to the PC) it attempts to use 100% of CPU with the obvious effect everything grinds to a halt.

Like I say - settings not changed from 2.0.4... so whilst I have seen similar items on here with resolutions on the problems... for me 2.0.4 works and 2.2 not... assumption... something changed that results in the issue, as such I am sticking with 2.0.4 for now (especially given the other reports by people on this forum regarding slower DL & UL speeds with 2.2) and I will check new versions as they come along!

Archived