µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

Hey guys. Been having random speed issues since updating also. On one occasion I had something particularly weird; I was trying to download a torrent from one tracker and I was only getting 0-10kbs...there weren't that many seeders so I figured it was some issue there, but then I started a torrent with another tracker and that went at about 600kb. As soon as that was going fast, all of a sudden the slow torrent began to pick up speed until it was over 100kb/s. I figured that was weird but a coincidence, nevertheless I tried stopping the faster torrent and once again the speed on the other one fell back down to virtually nothing. I did this a few times and every time I started the faster torrent, the other one would pick up some actual speed as well. That's odd, I think, right? heh.

Atm I'm just having speeds all over the place, rising up to a few hundred k/s and then just dropping back down to zero...I'm not getting any disc overload msgs or anything, and wouldn't expect to be...Everything was fine before updating

and I can still get pretty good speeds when on private trackers with a LOT of good seeds, but whenever I try to grab anything that isn't absolutely massively seeded I seem to have these speed issues which I never did before

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

i think there are still problems with socks5.

after i set proxy to socks5 my proxy-provider log every second a new error:

> CMD 3 not supported. Rejecting.

if i add a new torrent, ut-tracker status says "access denied" and my provider logs again:

> CMD 3 not supported. Rejecting.

never had such problems with <2.2.

i just checked the limitation and its not working

onli for that i set to 1 kbps

yeah, yeah, right. We *airquotes* believe you. :)

Anyway, go to:

Preferences > Bandwith > Global Rate Limit Options

There are 3 options, check the middle one. It should say something like "Apply limit to uTP connections"

If that doesn't solve it, then you might want to give a full report of your problem with logs and all other necessary information in the troubleshooting section.

i just checked the limitation and its not working

onli for that i set to 1 kbps

yeah' date=' yeah, right. We *airquotes* believe you. :)

Anyway, go to:

Preferences > Bandwith > Global Rate Limit Options

There are 3 options, check the middle one. It should say something like "Apply limit to uTP connections"

If that doesn't solve it, then you might want to give a full report of your problem with logs and all other necessary information in the troubleshooting section.[/quote']

thanks it realy helps

Hello all.

Seasons greetings!

I may be stupid, but after installing and running version u-T 2.2, I'm still in version 2.04. I've checked to see if there's any 'conflict' problems between the old and updated versions, ie if I need to remove 2.04 before installing 2.2, but this isn't an issue.

Further, it appears that the new 'green circle' logo is on my desktop, yet still links to 2.04, and when I go to the torrent page, the torrents aren't downloading.

[2010-12-26 10:43:02] Torrent storage folder can't be the same as the autoload folder!

[2010-12-26 10:46:55] Connecting ...

[2010-12-26 10:46:56] Connection failed error: A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket is not connected and (when sending on a datagram socket using a sendto call) no address was supplied. (10057)

[2010-12-26 10:46:56] Checking for forwarded port

[2010-12-26 10:46:57] Port Forward test complete. An invalid argument was supplied.

[2010-12-26 10:46:57] Checking auto portmap configuration ...

[2010-12-26 10:47:01] Results: Port is not open (you are still able to download).

[2010-12-26 10:47:01] More info is in the <a href="http://www.utorrent.com/faq">FAQ</a> and at <a href="http://portforward.com/">portforward.com</a>

Any help, (preferably in 'for dummies' terms with diagrams!) gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Okay going to see if you guys can help witht his software. I recently lost my computer to a flood so am using an older one running identical software. Windows XP SP3 ! I downloaded 2.2 which has been upgraded to 2.2.1 by your good selves, However i can download no problem at all, uploading is not happening and the setup box reports an error 10053 which i am led to believe is a winsock error. There is no av software running and i have even disabled the internal windows firewall but to no avail so checked across domains in the network section but still no uploading. Baffling me..any similar problems and is there a cure apart from grabbing bill gates by the throat ?

Merry xmas all !:)

I found that the torrents which I had completed, seeded for a while, stopped, and only then moved the contents of which manually (thereby maintaining the green tick and "finished" status), have all changed from [Green Tick] to [Red Exclamation Mark]. Does the update force a recheck of all torrents?

I know it may seem odd to keep torrents that are no longer being seeded, but I have a very good reason to do so! If I keep them in the GUI, I will not download the same thing twice by accident! I've always counted on uTorrent to warn me that a certain torrent is "already in the list of torrents", and it has more than once saved me from the trouble of redownloading something I had forgotten of having downloaded in the past.

Is there a way to manually reset all finished torrents to "Finished" rather than "Error: Files Missing" without having to point all of them to their new folder, one by one? 'Cos that would take me ages. And all those Errors look really depressing...

Same here. I also keep all the downloaded torrents (except the incremental ones), and 2.2 screwed things up, now many of them are red even after returning back to 2.0.4

Another thing: is it normal for uTorrent to be using 500 MB of memory, even though there are only about 100 torrents that are started, most seeding (only about 60 active), less than 10 downloading.

Is this huge memory usage somehow related to the long long list of long ago downloaded and stopped torrents?

(it is perhaps off topic here - I have this memory usage at the moment with 2.0.4, not sure about 2.2, though).

OK, so I tried 2.2.1 - the same thing, CPU usage (with quad-core) around 30%, memory usage > 500 MB.

The home page says "Powerhouse with a tiny appetite".

It became a monster. What happened, people?

Where the development went so wrong?

So now I had no choice but to go back to 1.8.2 build 14458 - a recommended build by many.

What do I get with this build?

CPU usage almost 10x less (3-8% compared to 25-32%)

Memory usage reduced by 100 MB, but still > 400 MB.

Upload and download speeds with the same settings - better.

No, it seems that memory usage is gradually increasing, approaching 470 MB. But does not go over it.

So still less than with 2.x

3 torrents downloading,

80 torrents seeding,

but only about 36 active.

And yet, around 500 MB memory usage with all versions of uTorrent.

What is going on?

Please answer, somebody: I have 10 thousand of finished/stopped torrents (and now also with invalid download state, thanks to 2.2), do they somehow increase the memory usage? I think they should not.

So now I had no choice but to go back to 1.8.2 build 14458 - a recommended build by many.

A security hole the size of Texas. I don't know who is recommending it, but they should be ignored.

Why are you keeping 10k torrents in your list in the first place?

And where are your hijackthis log and process explorer process list?

A security hole the size of Texas. I don't know who is recommending it, but they should be ignored.

So which pre-2.x version do you recommend?

I can go to 1.6 if needed.

1.6.1 build 490?

1.7.7.?

1.8.4 ?

1.8.5?

It really would be great to know .

Because I saw all those versions mentioned among recommended by various people and private trackers.

It really would be good to know which of those is the safest and, if possibly, use the least resources.

The last one, 1.8.5 build 17414?

Why are you keeping 10k torrents in your list in the first place?

To be able to check instantly if a torrent is already downloaded.

It is very important to me to be able to keep all the previously downloaded torrents.

This list will grow and grow. Unless it really affects badly uTorrent.

Therefore, I really want to know: do those downloaded and stopped torrents increase the usage of memory or CPU?

They are completely inactive, I hope they have no effect?

It seems, they slow down the starting of uTorrent, but I hope that is all?

Is there another way, some kind of torrent history feature, which is lighter on the uTorrent but does the same?

The worst case scenario - I could keep the .torrent files separately, but deleted from uTorrent. It would give me some way to check, but not as convenient.

And where are your hijackthis log and process explorer process list?

Sorry for that. I will have to investigate what those things are.

Actually, I just looked over the faq (all the questions, not all the answers).

My questions here about pre-2.x version and about history/long list of finished/stopped torrents are not addressed in the faq.

As to the questions related to high memory and high CPU usage:

I am not running nvidia firewal, no Forceware Network Manager.

I am not using McAfee Firewall, Norman Personal Firewall, nor Cybersitte.

I am using ESET Smart Security (nod32 antivirus + ESET firewall)

And I am also using PeerBlock.

I am running Windows XP SP3, 32 bit with 4 GB of memory (video card takes 512 MB: GeForce 8800 GTS 512)

So really, 500 MB memory usage is not a big deal, but it looks abnormally high, nevertheless.

And there is no high CPU usage with 1.8.2 - just checked again: 4%, long way to 25-30% with 2.x

Thanks.

Those tools might be helpful.

There might be also some kind of hardware - memory or mobo - issue.

Previously, the CPU usage of the browser used to go up to 25%, both with Opera and FF.

Sometimes just one open page was enough. Not any page, though. Perhaps with some javascript stuff in it.

When I moved the memory into different slots, both browsers stay close to 0% CPU.

But this switch did not affect uTorrent's CPU usage at all.

2.x versions use a lot, and pre-2.x - very little with memory in either slots.

I also feel that Skype, or combination of Skype and something else, might be contributing to out-of-resources situations, even though I have disabled the supernode mode.

When Skype is running, or even was running, a reboot is needed more frequently, sometimes almost daily, or even freezes or bsods occur if I wait with the reboot too long while ignoring symptoms of out-of-resources situation, without Skype - never, weeks without any reboots, reboots usually are forced by windows updates only.

Come to think of it, I am using Skype with uTorrent 2.x, previously I almost never started Skype, and those were pre-2.x days, so perhaps uTorrent 2.x is causing those problems :)

Perhaps I will stay with 1.8.2 for a few weeks just to see if those out-of-resources situations still occur.

Archived