µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto updates won't be turned on for a while.

Waiting for PMTUD? :P We'll have a 2.2.1 beta soon with that fixed.

Now when 2.2 is released' date=' could you please rebuild the language-file? It was I while since it was updated.[/quote']

I already rebuilt it.

Since I changed from v1.8.5 to v2.2.22982 I regularly don't see the icon in the system tray.

The only way I can currently fix this is by going to the preferences and turning off 'Always show tray icon', then press 'Apply', and then turn on 'Always show tray icon'. But, about 50% of the time after restarting my computer the tray icon will be gone again.

Very frustrating. I hope you guys can fix this soon.

@iycgtptyarvg:

I also experienced the non-visible tray icon problem you describe. Here is the solution I found:

Set a Boss Key on the General Options page (I used CTRL-U). Use the Boss Key to make µTorrent disappear, then use it again to make µTorrent re-appear, which should show the tray icon. Now delete the Boss Key (unless you want to keep it) and the tray icon should function normally after that.

WHY WHY WHY in the world did you have changed previous squared application icon? It looks horrible on Windows 7 taskbar. Like some ancient WinXP sh*t. Previous version was much more better looking, modern, glossy and IMO current default artwork sucks badly. And don't bother me with skining tutorials. Also there is no jump lists support and instead of that is there some stupid applications section in sidebar. WTF? It seems like it's time to look at other BT clients..

I am COMPLETELY disappointed at the time being.

I was EXTREMELY eager to try out utorrent 2.2 because of the

BANDWIDTH LIMITING ON USER INTERACTION suggestion on idea bank.

Unfortunately the ONLY thing added was that you can ONLY stop active torrents as shown below:

utorrentNew.png

Why on earth was a SUCH a briliant idea got only this?

I personally dont like scheduler and would LOVE to have an alternative way to limit my upload traffic if my pc is idle

(i.e. full upload when idle, limited when mouse/keyboard activity is detected. AND SO DO almost all the comments on the

Idea Bank).

Thanks and i pray to god you take this into consideration because alot of people want it.

WHY WHY WHY in the world did you have changed previous squared application icon? It looks horrible on Windows 7 taskbar. Like some ancient WinXP sh*t. Previous version was much more better looking, modern, glossy and IMO current default artwork sucks badly. And don't bother me with skining tutorials. Also there is no jump lists support and instead of that is there some stupid applications section in sidebar. WTF? It seems like it's time to look at other BT clients..

Gee, it's funny how some people think so differently. .... I use a program for how it works, not how it looks. A program is a software tool, nothing more.

If I cared about how torrent progams looked, then I'd be using the bloated Vuze application. You can always chew-up your resources using that if the GUI is the most important thing to you.

No offense meant.

I've been using uTorrent since pre-1.0 versions. I and all the people that I know at least, love it's most important feature: the small footprint on system resources.

Now with the new 2.2 version they should rename it to bloatTorrent... 15-22% CPU utilization from 1-5% after upgrading to the new version. The new apps are unusable because of the memory consumption - over 200MB when I tried to use the maps + the fact that I can't even reach half the download speed I used to get with the old version -> it keeps oscillating between 3-5MB while the old version reached 10MB no questions asked.

The developers should just split the development versions in half and leave all the bloat-ware in the BitTorrent client for the minority that actually like that kind of thing and keep the uTorrent version clean and fast. Either the 2.2 version should still be in beta or something is seriously wrong with the added features.

Sorry guys this is my personal opinion and I'll leave it at that. Thank you for your hard work but I'll stick to the older 2.0.4 until the problems have been resolved or some new changes arrive.

..much more better..
:lol:

zmyex: care to explain?

CodyPredy: Easy answer: don't use the apps. I've been using uTorrent since around 1.2 and 2.2 still uses around the same amount of memory and CPU for me (~10-17mb, 3-12% CPU) as it did then, and if I watch it in Task Manager I can see it yield memory on a regular basis. I don't agree with the apps either and obviously they're bloaty, that's why they're not part of the main program (by design) and also why I choose not to use them. They're to give the bloaty extensibility of Vuze/Azureus but only if someone wants it; the best of both (bloath?) worlds.

While the GUI is minimized or in the tray - no GUI onscreen. 46 torrents in total some them innactive, uploading at about 650KB/s, I've setup so that only one download is active at a time - just like in the older version. Tried deleting the settings.dat so the version mimics a fresh install.

I'm currently testing the downloading speed some more. Tried rebooting the PC... uninstalled all the apps. Memory consumption is about 34MB while the GUI is offscreen. Just browsing the apps jumps the memory consumption to about 45MB. I'll test some more.

Check out your %AppData%\uTorrent folder and delete any app related stuff, and go set btapps.auto_update_btapps to *false in the Advanced, that's about as "off" the apps can be. Then remove any torrents that are completed (ie. you don't want to seed anymore). That should be a start. Keep testing though, that's how things get fixed in future versions, not by downgrading :)

Edit (so as not to double-post): I'm seeing this display bug now that I didn't see before (because I don't usually have the Find Pane open). At first it is blank, then on mouse-over it shows correctly, then when I move off of it it shows as below.

screeny.jpg?fromsite=1

Thank you for your suggestion.

Just to make clear: are you saying this will permanently fix the tray icon? Or do I have to do the boss key thingy every time it happens?

I only did the boss key thingy one time, this permanenty fixed the tray icon for me running under Windows 7 x64.

2.2 on my PC.

CPU: less or equal

RAM: 200 MB

On previous version I override to 600 MB but it's not use follow by that so on 2.2 it's use 200 MB I think it's good for me, I do not sure it's use in cache only or not but on "disk statistics" read cache use 160 MB.

How can I enable or disable app? I only see three btapps in option but I do not think there is. Can I uninstall app? I think I did not see any apps on 2.2.

I'm having a small heartbreak over the change to 2.2 that checks every file on every startup. I have about 2600 torrents, and 2.0.4 would start up in a couple of seconds. uTorrent 2.2 took so long to start up (more than 15 minutes and it wasn't finished), I had to stop it and revert to 2.0.4. Maybe checking everything the first time the program is run makes some sense, but checking every time takes away a great advantage of uTorrent that made me switch to using it with Wine after kTorrent started taking too long to start up. I was so happy to see that 2.2 allows moving files, a feature from kTorrent that I have been missing, but if startup in 2.2 continues to take so long, I'll have to stick with 2.0.4.

Thank you for the great work on uTorrent all the same!

What an awful, horrible, bloatware OmegaTorrent this version is! I have been using utorrent from the earliest earliest beta days, and I was always laughing at all my friends having pain with Java based slow clients using CPU and memory.

Up till now, my lovely uTorrent has never ever used more than 8 MB of ram. This new version: 385 MB on the first try!!! Of course it's not only memory, but constant CPU hogging too! And a disgusting, terrible, sense-less user interface without logic, and good bye to one of the best icon designs on windows.

What has happened and why? Now it's time to look for a new client! But I don't know any which would be as lightweight as uTorrent was. I mean once...

Archived