µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 2600 torrents ... uTorrent 2.2 took ... more than 15 minutes and it wasn't finished.
You have a hoarding problem, get rid of your old torrents, I seriously doubt you're actively seeding 2600 torrents.
This new version: 385 MB on the first try!!! Of course it's not only memory, but constant CPU hogging too!
Works fine for me, I assume you're doing something like zzgabor, loading thousands of torrents, or you're dabbling with the btapps, which are natural memory hogs. On my old-ass Dell Dimension 2400, uTorrent 2.2 runs with between 10-17MB, and 3-12% CPU through normal use. These spike to only 45MB and 20% spikes (though still usually between 8-16%) in CPU with 5 active downloading torrents (@1MB/s down speed total).

Works fine for me, I assume you're doing something like zzgabor, loading thousands of torrents, or you're dabbling with the btapps, which are natural memory hogs. On my old-ass Dell Dimension 2400, uTorrent 2.2 runs with between 10-17MB, and 3-12% CPU through normal use. These spike to only 45MB and 20% spikes (though still usually between 8-16%) in CPU with 5 active downloading torrents (@1MB/s down speed total).

I had about 5 torrents total and a very slow connection. I tried the maps app and TED. Guys, a program world famous for it's small footprint should not be allowed to use 385 MB ram because you click on a button like "map"... In a stable version!

Someone has lost their common sense at the dev team?

The apps are optional for those who can afford the resources needed to run them. Even so, most of us aren't willing to waste memory or cpu with them.

They are separated from the main application and are in no way critical to its working. Moreover, they are not strictly developed by the same people working on the main program so they don't have to follow the same guidelines of low memory/cpu usage. Being mad a µtorrent because using an app is abusing your resources is like being mad at Firefox because of some defective addon you chose to install.

The apps are optional for those who can afford the resources needed to run them. Even so, most of us aren't willing to waste memory or cpu with them.

They are separated from the main application and are in no way critical to its working. Moreover, they are not strictly developed by the same people working on the main program so they don't have to follow the same guidelines of low memory/cpu usage. Being mad a µtorrent because using an app is abusing your resources is like being mad at Firefox because of some defective addon you chose to install.

Yes, except if the biggest thing in a new release is to brings apps, and are advertised in a way that everyone is just one click from ruining the whole uTorrent experience. At least in Firefox you really need to dig in deep to find how to install extensions and how to find one which is giving you 385 MB of memory usage! Most of my casual PC user friends doesn't even know about extensions in Firefox! And if Firefox ever has an extension to use 300 MB of ram, they are surely disabling that in the next release.

On the other hand, if you are a casual user starting uTorrent 2.2 you are 90% ending up with a uTorrent setup with at least 1 or 2 applications enabled (with map being one of them, i would guess). They stay loaded even in the system tray! Why should a map application use resources while being in the system tray?

Oh and the only other change is the new UI, which goes against everything happening in the user interface design these days. Look at the examples of Google Chrome vs. IE 6,7, or iOS and Android vs. Windows Mobile or Symbian. I congratulate the uTorrent UI design team that they found the light in this chaos and engineered a UI which follows the tracks of IE 6 / Symbian / Windows Mobile, in 2010!

Why do all good projects end up like this? Nero was small, fast, nice and sweet and it ended up being over 1 GB. Skype didn't use more screen space then a small bar on on the right side of any application, it ended up being a full screen monster. ACDSee got really popular because of it's small footprint and quick loading times, these days it takes half a minute to start it. Are you sure that uTorrent needs to end up like this?

- Change: Set download location now changes the torrent directory name on a multifile torrent.

Can someone please also revert back to the old 2.0x behaviour for pointing the new location with multi-files' torrent ?

No. This behavior is much saner and easier to use.

I'm downloading TV episodes that are rar'd.

Before, when i changed the download location to a 'seeding' folder I automatically got a neat list of folders, with in those folders the rar's. Every folder would be 1 episode.

Since RC3 I get 1 large pile of rars in the same folder.

If I want this the old way i manually have to create the foldernames each time i move i torrent from within uTorrent, which is alot more work.

Is there no way to revert this? I'm downgrading to RC2 for the moment, but I would really love this to be reverted, or at least to have it as a setting.

When uTorrent downloads things, the torrent name is appended as a path, so why not when it is moved?

-Edit:

What I do now is: Select torrent>F2(select name)>Ctrl-C>Deselect>Right mouse click>Advanced>Set download location>Create New>Ctrl-V>Enter>click Ok.

Alot more clicks if you ask me...

zsero: At the same time, btapps are easy to uninstall and it's easy to hide those options (F8 & F9), and it's also easy to go back to the uTorrent 2.0.4 skin if you check out the first post in this thread (no, the Skin app is NOT required)! To quote myself in a previous post:

I don't agree with the apps either and obviously they're bloaty, that's why they're not part of the main program (by design) and also why I choose not to use them. They're to give the bloaty extensibility of Vuze/Azureus but only if someone wants it; the best of both (bloath?) worlds.

Skinning is more flexible than ever as well, going so far as to allow you to change the colors of the window, backgrounds and text, like with Firefox Personas. You don't like how it looks, change it. You don't like btapps, don't use them. uTorrent is what you make of it.

You have a hoarding problem, get rid of your old torrents, I seriously doubt you're actively seeding 2600 torrents.

Some people in the community like to keep rarer torrents available. For many of these torrents, I'm the only seeder. So for now, a client that doesn't take over 15 minutes to start up with 2600 torrents will be preferable.

i just installed 2.2 and the skin is terrible , instantly installed 2.0.4 skin .. your not seriously leaving that mess as the default skin ? .. the icon also looks terrible on the desktop , is this win3.1 ? .. please please go back to the square u ..

seems to run fine , except pressing F9 does nothing and i see no app pane ..

oh and the category list .. is their a reason that all that white space is on both sides of the list , holy screen space killer batman.

theres really a problem with the utorrent icon showing in the taskbar...it shows/hides on its own will...

this problem has to be urgently addressed..

In the previous page i found lot of people cursing the new utorrent UI....

Come on guys it looks neater now (at least in windows 7)

Only the create torrent and remove torrent icons are and not self explanatory and new users will not understand until the title pops up.

i just installed 2.2 and the skin is terrible , instantly installed 2.0.4 skin .. your not seriously leaving that mess as the default skin ? .. the icon also looks terrible on the desktop , is this win3.1 ? .. please please go back to the square u ..

seems to run fine , except pressing F9 does nothing and i see no app pane ..

oh and the category list .. is their a reason that all that white space is on both sides of the list , holy screen space killer batman.

Can't agree more but seems like something strange happened with the developers' taste. :D

The 2.2 skin is great, just give it some it time. it takes a while to get used to. But it's great: sleek and minimalistic as it should be. Really. Think about it. 100x better than the old one.

The 2.2 skin is great, just give it some it time. it takes a while to get used to. But it's great: sleek and minimalistic as it should be. Really. Think about it. 100x better than the old one.

And there are people around who think Internet Explorer is the perfect browser... Sooner or later there will be a whole group of people saying how good the new 2.2 UI is... Proving their points with: Think about it. 100x better than the old one

The 2.2 skin is great' date=' just give it some it time. it takes a while to get used to. But it's great: sleek and minimalistic as it should be. Really. Think about it. 100x better than the old one.[/quote']

And there are people around who think Internet Explorer is the perfect browser... Sooner or later there will be a whole group of people saying how good the new 2.2 UI is... Proving their points with: Think about it. 100x better than the old one

You missed the point..

The apps are optional for those who can afford the resources needed to run them. Even so' date=' most of us aren't willing to waste memory or cpu with them.

They are separated from the main application and are in no way critical to its working. Moreover, they are not strictly developed by the same people working on the main program so they don't have to follow the same guidelines of low memory/cpu usage. Being mad a µtorrent because using an app is abusing your resources is like being mad at Firefox because of some defective addon you chose to install.[/quote']

Yes, except if the biggest thing in a new release is to brings apps, and are advertised in a way that everyone is just one click from ruining the whole uTorrent experience. At least in Firefox you really need to dig in deep to find how to install extensions and how to find one which is giving you 385 MB of memory usage! Most of my casual PC user friends doesn't even know about extensions in Firefox! And if Firefox ever has an extension to use 300 MB of ram, they are surely disabling that in the next release.

On the other hand, if you are a casual user starting uTorrent 2.2 you are 90% ending up with a uTorrent setup with at least 1 or 2 applications enabled (with map being one of them, i would guess). They stay loaded even in the system tray! Why should a map application use resources while being in the system tray?

Oh and the only other change is the new UI, which goes against everything happening in the user interface design these days. Look at the examples of Google Chrome vs. IE 6,7, or iOS and Android vs. Windows Mobile or Symbian. I congratulate the uTorrent UI design team that they found the light in this chaos and engineered a UI which follows the tracks of IE 6 / Symbian / Windows Mobile, in 2010!

Why do all good projects end up like this? Nero was small, fast, nice and sweet and it ended up being over 1 GB. Skype didn't use more screen space then a small bar on on the right side of any application, it ended up being a full screen monster. ACDSee got really popular because of it's small footprint and quick loading times, these days it takes half a minute to start it. Are you sure that uTorrent needs to end up like this?

exactly, i had all those, acdsee, nero etc, but got rid of it all for sake of light free ones, they are faster and better.

don't want to see uTorrent becomes another All-in-One 10GB program

theres really a problem with the utorrent icon showing in the taskbar...it shows/hides on its own will...

this problem has to be urgently addressed..

In the previous page i found lot of people cursing the new utorrent UI....

Come on guys it looks neater now (at least in windows 7)

Only the create torrent and remove torrent icons are and not self explanatory and new users will not understand until the title pops up.

To fix the tray icon, you have to set the Boss Key. Then, activate Boss mode once, and then deactivate Boss mode again. Apparently, after doing that once it should be permanently fixed. Someone suggested this to me, and it has worked for me for the last 3 days (knock on wood).

Don't get me started. It's indeed incomprehensible the default UI is so bad. They should have stuck to the UI they had instead of forcing people to install a plug-in to fix it back to the original style.

Archived