Error: Insufficient system resources

nakedsheep

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get this too after a while but whats more alarming my system hive file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\) keeps growing, it gained 10MB in 4h. At the same time RegSnap says that there haven't been any significant changes made to the registry.

When the hive files get too big windows just refuses to boot, BSODing with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, after which I use UBCD for windows to replace them with the ones from the time of instalation.

My system:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Abit NF7-S

Athlon XP-M 2500+@3200+

1GB PC3200

3HDDs, one of them SATA, 2 of them NTFS

My main background processes are:

AVG free

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro

daemon tools

DC++

I have the same problem (not the hive thing). Occationally, I get the message "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." on one or more torrents. When I stop them and restart them, everything they start downloading again.

I have Windows XP, an Athlon FX-55, 2Gb RAM, and 960Gb total HD space with about 100Gb free. I've seen the problem with only firefox, sygate personal firewall, avg free, peer guardian, and daemon tools running and still 1.6 gigs of free RAM. Also, I ran the level lord patch and set my max half open connections to 999. So I doubt its that.

Occationally, I get the message "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." on one or more torrents. When I stop them and restart them, everything they start downloading again.

may i suggest, as options to solve this problem have not been found (as talked about in the feature requests forum) that there be a "try to restart torrent after 15 min if torrent gets stopped with insufficient system resources" ?

lol why would you set the limit to 999? It baffles me why anyone would do so.

If I could just turn off the limit I would. The half open connection limit introduced in XP Service Pack 1 is a kludge. It's an alternative to fixing the vulnerabilities in Windows. All is accomplishes is to limit what the user can do with their computer.

• 2 months later...

don't mean to bring up a dead topic, but did this ever get fixed? i've been having problems with this message in azureus AND utorrent. no virus protetion ran, no firewalls, no heavy memory programs being ran either(happens while i'm sleeping also). this has only been a problem since i upgraded my connection from 5 / 512 to 10 / 1.

is the half open connection at fault or is the caching system at fault? =/

• 1 month later...

I get this exact error. With either uTorrent or Azureus. I usually get it after the program has been running for 4 or 5 hours while I sleep. A quick check to the Task Manager shows I have plenty of resources left on my system and I have 80gig HD space free. There should be no reason for this error. It also comes with a graphical glitch where 1/3 of everything blurs. The blur shifts if I "refresh" the desktop.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem that Reuel wrote about. I have plenty of free RAM and hard drive space (although I can't always get Task Manager to open after the error happens). I get the error, get a graphical glitch (slightly different than Reuel), then my computer basically has to be shut down via the 5 sec hold on the power button. The next time I get it (i.e., next time I'm willing to intentionally crash my machine), I'll try to run Process Explorer and will paste the process list here.

I was getting some strange SidebySide errors in the Event Log that I thought corresponded to crash times, but installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable removed the errors w/o fixing the crash.

OK, happened again. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.

Here's an error I got at the same time (doesn't always accompany the utorrent error/crash)

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 12/13/2006

Time: 10:27:36 AM

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP

Description:

Application popup: dwwin.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

The Process Explorer process list:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name Session

System Idle Process 0 95.10

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts 0

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls 0

System 4 0

smss.exe 736 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation 0

csrss.exe 796 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation 0

winlogon.exe 824 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation 0

services.exe 872 0.49 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation 0

ati2evxx.exe 1032 ATI External Event Utility EXE Module ATI Technologies Inc. 0

svchost.exe 1068 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

svchost.exe 1188 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

MsMpEng.exe 1284 Service Executable Microsoft Corporation 0

svchost.exe 1324 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

svchost.exe 1416 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

svchost.exe 1576 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

BRSVC01A.EXE 1736 brsvc01a brother Industries Ltd 0

BRSS01A.EXE 1764 brss01a.exe brother Industries Ltd 0

spoolsv.exe 1780 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation 0

LVPrcSrv.exe 1876 Logitech LVPrcSrv Module. Logitech Inc. 0

avp.exe 2016 Active Virus Shield AOL 0

cmdagent.exe 2040 Comodo Agent Service COMODO 0

IAANTMon.exe 276 RAID Monitor Intel Corporation 0

svchost.exe 356 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation 0

wdfmgr.exe 400 Windows User Mode Driver Manager Microsoft Corporation 0

alg.exe 380 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation 0

lsass.exe 884 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation 0

ati2evxx.exe 2104 ATI External Event Utility EXE Module ATI Technologies Inc. 0

ctfmon.exe 2276 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation 0

explorer.exe 2304 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation 0

IAAnotif.exe 3024 Event Monitor User Notification Tool Intel Corporation 0

stsystra.exe 3040 Sigmatel Audio system tray application SigmaTel, Inc. 0

DVDLauncher.exe 3076 CyberLink PowerCinema Resident Program CyberLink Corp. 0

issch.exe 3164 InstallShield Update Service Scheduler InstallShield Software Corporation 0

PicasaMediaDetector.exe 3364 Picasa Google Inc. 0

CLI.exe 3396 CLI Application (Command Line Interface) ATI Technologies Inc. 0

CLI.exe 2300 CLI Application (Command Line Interface) ATI Technologies Inc. 0

CLI.exe 2568 CLI Application (Command Line Interface) ATI Technologies Inc. 0

Communications_Helper.exe 3420 Logitech Communications Manager Logitech Inc. 0

LVComSX.exe 3580 LVCom Server Logitech Inc. 0

avp.exe 3660 Active Virus Shield AOL 0

cpf.exe 3716 1.47 Comodo Firewall COMODO 0

MSASCui.exe 3744 Windows Defender User Interface Microsoft Corporation 0

Skype.exe 3896 Skype. The whole world can talk for free. Skype Technologies S.A. 0

Rainlendar.exe 512 Rainlendar Rainy 0

dwwin.exe 1356 Microsoft Application Error Reporting Microsoft Corporation 0

firefox.exe 2320 Firefox Mozilla Corporation 0

utorrent.exe 408 1.47 0

procexp.exe 2196 1.47 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals 0

thunderbird.exe 756 Mozilla Thunderbird Mozilla Corporation 0

EM_EXEC.EXE 3684 Logitech Events Handler Application Logitech Inc. 0

Rtn, close out some of those programs running in the background. Some are required, some aren't...up to you to figure out which is which since many of us don't run any of that. :P

GOOGLE searches on each can help -- there may even turn up other people's posts at various forums how those programs kill resources!

I know what each and every one does. They're legit and not the problem. Using Process Explorer, I'm typically using about 500Mb of my available memory (1Gb physical RAM, 1Gb or so Virtual Memory). I'll suddenly get a spike to at least 1.5Gb total memory getting used and then I get the error messages. I think it might be related to Utorrent and the networking svchost.exe, and possibly Firefox. But I think I also noticed once that utorrent was seeing a lot of paging errors (not positive).

• 3 months later...

Rtn,

"I know what each and every one does. They're legit and not the problem."

Just because they're "legit" doesn't mean they're "safe". It is often commercial software written by many programmers who forget to compare notes that causes some of the worst system conflicts and memory leaks.

Using A, B, C, and D software products separately may cause no problems but using A+B+C+D all at once could be a disaster. Oh the wonders of proprietary software!

• 2 weeks later...

Firon: i get the same error "utorrent insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" in 2 diferent computers!! on a p3 256mbRam(!) 3 ide hdd's and a p4 2GRam(!) 1 SATA2 hdd... and, aparently, the error only happen when i have comodo FW turned on.

aol av is also installed, but seems to be indeferent if it is turned on or off

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I'm wondering: how can it be that not only are there no solutions to this problem, but not even any suggestions as to what may be causing it? I have trawled through forums for utorrent and azureus (both clients seem to be affected), but have not found anything constructive about it.

I do not have the XP max connectons patch installed, and my half open settings for utorrent have not been changed. I have plenty of system resources for this process, and process explorer reveals NO spikes. I am using nod32 with utorrent excluded, am behind hardware firewall with ports properly configured and verified by utorrent port checker, everything is green....

But after using utorrent for a while I SOMETIMES get the insufficient system resources error. There is NO common denominator, sometimes it happens with other processes running, sometimes just with minimum system processes running, sometimes my HD has 20% free space, sometimes 75% etc... 1 gig RAM should (and always has been) ample, and I have always been able to run up to ten torrents simultaneously, wohtout any problems, to my PC and client, only to my dsl connection.

How can it be that between azureus users/developers and those of utorrent, there is no suggestion even as to a cause? This is a serious error, as it stops the torrent dead, and also affects client/tracker communication? It is not a minor bug, and also there are too many users experiencing the problem for it to be incorrect configuration, it must be a client issue.

In this capacity I have realised ONE common denominator, and that is that this problem is new (last year or so) and I have only experienced it since upgrading to utorrent 1.7 +....

I'm beginning to worry that this smacks of 'official' intervention in the name of deterence!!!!

Do the developers of both utorrent AND azureus REALLY have no idea what this can be? Or is it just me?

Thanks

Hi, Switeck,

how would I know if I had a bad networking driver? Do the drivers for networking belong to XP?

Hijackthis! Log follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 11:46:02, on 02/11/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI\WebPAM\jetty\extra\win32\Wrapper.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\NOD32\nod32krn.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI\WebPAM\_jvm\bin\java.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe

C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe

C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\NOD32\nod32kui.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.daemonsearch.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecGuard] C:\Windows\SMINST\RecGuard.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\NOD32\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop

O16 - DPF: {B7D07999-2ADB-4AEB-997E-F61CB7B2E2CD} (TSEasyInstallX Control) - http://www.trendsecure.com/easy_install/_activex/en-US/TSEasyInstallX.CAB

O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

O23 - Service: ATI WebPAM (ATIWebPAM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ATI\WebPAM\jetty\extra\win32\Wrapper.exe

O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe

O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\NOD32\nod32krn.exe

--

End of file - 6577 bytes

Thanks

Archived