Error: Insufficient system resources

nakedsheep

Ok will do, may take a while to let the error occur, if i is going to... Plus I have to find a new AV....

Edit: No joy folks... still got the error.

I only use two trackers at the moment, one well known devil, and the other is a private tracker... I have noticed that it is only the private tracker that is shiwng the error. The other one is always running fine.... I checked the tracker forums and there is nothing there about the problem, so I assume that no-one else has that problem, or at least ahs made the link. In the past though it would happen with other trackers too...

I have installed Trend micro internet security with firewall and all the other bells and whistles... Disabled hardware firewall, and windows firewall obviously....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had just nod32, and the hardware firewall (okay windows firewall just to be on tha super safe side) but it turns out nod32 may be conflicting with utorrent and causing the insufficient bla bla problem. So I uninstalled nod32, and disabled ot the hardware firewall to see if these could causing the problem. so far I still have the problem by the way.

But I agree, the best protection for mee was always router firewall and nod32.....

Okay I found ONE solution to the problem. I was having problems with the pc that has the "insufficient bla bla" error on it. This PC also serves as a server for a home network setup in a workgroup. Recently the other computers connected to this network were unable to acces the network with the error "inssufficient server storage to complete this process".... After googling for fixes I came upon a MS support article related to this. It requires a registry edit, which FIXED the network problem. IT had ALSO fixed the utorrent memory problem! It has to do the IRPStackSize registry entry and the buffer set for this. On my PC there was no IRPStackSize entry, but for others the default XP setting is 14... So I entered the registry entry with a buffer size of 20, and those who had it already changed the 14 to 20.

Don't worry if you're a noob or nervous about editing the registry, the MS support article provides a very clear step by step instruction for doing it and you can't go wrong! (For ONCE I have found an MS knowledge base article to be useful!!! :) ) Below is the link!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I've been having this problem very very infrequently up until the past few days where I've been experiencing it every 20mins to 2hrs. Strangely not all my downloads are affected, and this has given me a clue to the problem. You see, it seems to be only the very large downloads that cause the problem. I'm talking in excess of 4gb. Nothing smaller has caused these problems yet. The increase in frequency, I'm sure is due to the fact that I've got multiple very large downloads going on currently.

Does this help at all in diagnosing the problem? I would very much appreciate a fix so that I can trust my downloads to continue through the night.

If you want others to help you find your problem, the log falls within the general troubleshooting guide parameters (linked below as How-To). Otherwise your ability to troubleshoot it yourself, following the guides will be your limit.

I'm uncertain exactly what error you are seeing. Is it a windows error (screenshot would help) or is it a tracker status or status column error (in uT). If you don't want to provide a HiJackThis log, then a similarly created Process Explorer log would help. It will tell you and others who are following your problem, which DLLs are loaded. Anything outside of microsoft corp. or \system32 is usually viewed as a possible problem.

(Download the zip, unzip, open procexp.exe, Ctrl-L to expose lower pane, Ctrl-D to show loaded DLLs, click utorrent.exe, Ctrl-A to save the list to a txt file which can then be copy-pasted into a post below.

@ caustic, sounds like this error occurs for different reasons, which is why people have trouble diagnosing the problem and suggesting fixes...

However I do know that if a hard drive is formatted to FAT 32, you ca't transfer files larger than 4 gb to it. So if the drive you are downloading to is fat32 then you can either:

1. Reformat the drive to NTFS ( a much better format anyway) though you will lose everything on it, so back it up!!!

2. Try changing the settings in utorrent (or you client) so that it does not pre-allocate the files. Go to preferences->downloads-> and uncheck the box under other settings "pre-allocate all files", or whatever is simmilar in your client. This will just write each piece of the torrent as it comes in instead of allocating the large size first, so that your computer thinks it already has the full file. That is the onl way I cna think of to bypass the problem if your drive is fat32.

hehehe if it is't fat32 then you're in the same boat with the rest of us who have no idea about this damn problem!!!

Hope this helps

@ Jewel - how can you not be sure as to what error is being spoken about, it is all this whole topic is about, "Error: inssuficient resources bla bla" it appears in the status column of utorrent..

Thanks for that fluglebinder. You don't need to reformat when already on fat32 though, you can convert it.

convert x: /fs:ntfs would generally be the parameters required

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
settings to be accessible by everyone.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

I am wondering if anyone who experiences this has tracked memory usage for the utorrent process with process explorer to see if it indeed is the program using the extra % of RAM. In cases like that I know that taking out injected DLLs removed the problem entirely.

Edit: I am unsure of because I have never seen such a specific error message. i am lucky enough to have only seen the generic "ERROR:" message or the "unable to load \path\to\torrent\file.torrent" messages. I have successfully been able to recreate "access denied" as well as "element not found" and "files missing please recheck" by mucking with my system.

I think caustic is worried the man is watching him and actually cares about his background processes :P

I'll re-iterate what I said before, feel free to try and troubleshoot it yourself if you don't want to provide any of the information asked at the bottom of the How-To. But the only way to get to a bug in the program is to remove everything else and by then you'll probably have already solved the problem. As another thing, if you're adventurous and want to see some of the added features, or changes made to error dialogs, etc. the pre-beta 1.8 line is located http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31998 and I would recommend running it side-by-side encapsulated http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_share_my_torrents_between_user_profiles.3F so you dont muck with existing settings and can migrate when you feel comfortable / when it comes to a beta release :)

• 3 months later...

OK, so I am having this same error. I have bitdefender as my AV and have never had a problem before, I am guessing it started after one of the utorrent updates or newer versions. What is causing this? If bitdefender did not cause it before, why would it start now?

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

After using uTorrent for a number of years happily with no problems. I've been encountering this error. I think so far its been happening with this torrent a 24gig data download torrent. The download is usually slow due to insufficient seeders.

My specs are uTorrent 1.6. XP. Intel Core Duo. 2gig Corsair Ram, Nvidia7800 graphics card, 2 HD totalling 200 gig spare.

I think the problem is caused when I leave uTorrent running for too long... say 2 days. Once the error occurs, I find I can still use the computer and everything functions normally.

When the error occurs there is 1.2 gig of free RAM.

Archived