uTorrent won't stop seeding

bmaltais

I just noticed that the Mac version of uTorrent won't respect the seeding ratio. Since my provider only allow me 100GB/month I want to cap my seeding to a 2.0 ratio... but uTorrent 1.0.1 for Mac won't stop seeding. This morning I had the unpleasant surprise of finding that I shared more than 25GB during the night...

The Windows version behave just as I configure it...

Is this a known bug?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. uTorrent doesn't stop seeding automatically. Please fix this bug as soon as possible.

Mac 10.5.8 (brave little G4 Mini)

uTorrent 1.0.1 (22592)

Screenshothttp://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1902/screenshotgin.png

OS is set to german locale so I have to use "," instead of ".". Otherwise uTorrent gives me an error about formating, so "," is fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe some hint here to identify the problem.

It's still possible to define a u/d ratio threshold separately for each torrent in their individual properties (right-click on torrent, then properties). This feature asks for the ratio as a percentage (like 150%) and not as a number (like 1.5, for example). I think this is important because this feature works while the global setting doesn't. So using this individual torrent setting is a workaround.

Now, what is funny is that I decided to switch the global ratio limit off and on again, still with the default value of 1.5, and then the default value that I saw in the individual torrent properties was in fact 150000%. This may explain why it doesn't stop. Now I don't know if the bug is for everyone or only for those who have that comma instead of point character because of regional settings. Indeed, in the global properties, my ratio is also shown like this: 1,5.

Hope it helps...

A ratio is just that, something like 1.5. I know this works because I had my ratio set to 1.04. When my single first torrent was at 23:1 I clicked the up arrow in the prefs to 1.05 and the torrent immediately stopped.

So, it would appear that it's a problem of when the ratio is checked.

This bug has been around for a LONG time. I stopped using utorrent because of it, and it looks like I'll have to go back that that POS Vuze again because of it.

The lack of activity in this forum is sad, and the lack of responses to critical issues is even more sad.

I'm going back to Vuze. Not happily, but I have no choice. I need the basic feature of stopping seeding at a specific ratio.

This is also the reason I had to stop using utorrent. I love utorrent, and my ratio setting was working until I had to reinstall mac and subsequently utorrent, since then it just keeps going.

I know that the developers are under no obligation to create a utorrent client for mac.

But if they would even come on here and let us know that they are working on the issues that would be great.

Even if they would come on to let us know if they are actually still actively developing the client or not.

If they are no longer working on the mac version, at least a definite response would stop people wondering what is going on..

Went to Transmission instead of Vuze. Transmission is annoying for many reasons, but it respects the setting for stopping at a particular seed ratio.

I second silentbobie's call for a reply to the question: is there anyone actively developing the Mac client, or not?

This is working now,

with great usability problems I might add.

You need to write your ratio like this: 1.1

Note that it uses a DOT not a COMMA.

And press ENTER while still editing the ratio field, apparently it will not assume the changes otherwise.

Torrents that reach this point or are past this point will be stopped.

To seed a torrent past the global limit you need to override it on a per-torrent basis (under each torrent properties).

OR put the torrent in forced seeding mode.

This is working now,

with great usability problems I might add.

You need to write your ratio like this: 1.1

Note that it uses a DOT not a COMMA.

And press ENTER while still editing the ratio field, apparently it will not assume the changes otherwise.

Torrents that reach this point or are past this point will be stopped.

To seed a torrent past the global limit you need to override it on a per-torrent basis (under each torrent properties).

OR put the torrent in forced seeding mode.

You're saying that when you do NOT press ENTER after entering the value, even though when you close the prefs dialog and go back the value you entered is there, it does not respect the seed ratio you entered? I find that really hard to believe. I would believe it if when I went back to the dialog the value I entered was not there.

If this is true, though, isn't this like the easiest bug in the world to fix?? If so, why not fix it and save everyone some grief?? (This is aimed at the developers that do not read the forums.)

Correct. That's exactly the bug.

We actually did fix it in 1.0.2, as well as the new 1.1 beta.

It did NOT work.

I have it set to "1.04" and it's currently at 1.127 and climbing.

When I reinstalled, I specifically clicked in the text field and hit ENTER.

I'm running 1.0.2 (23439).

• 4 months later...

It is now four months since the last post in this thread and as far as I can tell there has been no progress on this bug. I'm running 1.0.2 (23439) and it seems to completely ignore the seeding ratio preference. I've tried the trick of pressing enter while editing the ratio field. It is unquestionably ignoring this preference.

Has anyone gotten this preference to work properly? I hate to go back to vuze, but I keep forgetting about my torrents and then finding that I've uploaded several gigs overnight. I'm going to have to ditch utorrent if I can't find a solution to this problem.

How's it going for other folks?

• 3 months later...

Arghh.. this issue is back after I upgraded to Lion. I somehow had the "seeding ratio" working properly with Snow Leopard, but now it's broken again, and I can't "fix" it no matter what I do. Running latest uTorrent 1.0.2 (23439). Anyone has any luck with seeding ratio & Lion?

uTorrent devs - any chance this issue can finally be fixed?

Archived