uTserver on a Nas

paolomarino

Hi,

I have installed uTserver on my Qnap x86 Nas.

It is runnig as daemon since a week with good download performance.

At the moment it have some trouble:

a) normaly it uses 8% of cpu but randomly it go to 100% and i need to restart the daemon

B) sometimes it floods my internet router that hangs and i need to restart the router

c) it will be nice a -restart switch for the daemon

My temporaly fix:

a) using monit to check the cpu usage and restart utserver when it go to 100% cpu

B) using monit to start a script which restart my router when it stops to respond

c) made my own start/stop/restart script to launch uTserver

The flooding issue it is the worst.

Anyway THANKS you for uTorrent on Linux :)

B) sometimes it floods my internet router that hangs and i need to restart the router

It would be interesting to know what is 'flooding' the router (what kinds of packets).

There is also the possibility of using a different router. I'm running FreeBSD-based pfSense on the relatively low-end computer that serves as the router for the test lab. I have pfSense limit downloads to 10Mbit/sec and it runs at that speed for days when stress testing release candidates.

c) it will be nice a -restart switch for the daemon

An interesting thought - that probably won't happen for awhile if ever because there are other features that are already in the queue. The next release will have a -pidfile argument where you can create a file containing the process ID of utserver, and you could use that to run kill and then re-invoke utserver as you usually do (if you don't want to parse the output of ps or look around in /proc).

Several people have reported the high CPU problem and I had it myself when I first installed utserver. I checked the low_cpu box in advanced settings and that has cured it. This is only supposed to make a small difference in CPU usage but seems to be the difference between 100% CPU and 1%!

"Flooding" the router is often because too many UDP connections are attempted and then held onto by the router. Better routers allow the timeout for for these connections to be reduced from typically an hour to a more reasonable few minutes. A workaround where your router doesn't support this is to limit the max_halfopen setting to a small number like 5 or 10 and also to try limiting your total connections to maybe 100 or less. No doubt there are many nuances, but these simple settings often cure the router hangups.

Hi.

After few days of testing the situation is this.

Thanks to lithopsian and the low_cpu settings uTserver never go to 100% cpu.

It stay between 2% and 8% on my Nas (x86 celeron single core 1.6Ghz). Well done.

The missing of the restart it was simply solved using a startup script and the start-stop-daemon command.

The real problem now is the floodind of my router.

I have a realy bad Adsl: 800/320 kbit so my max download/upload rate is 100/40 kbyte

The router that i use is my provider free router and i cant change it or i cant connect.

After few hours of use of uTserver the router stop responding. It crash.

Still the switch part of the router stop working.

it stop responding to internal ping and the web interface goes offline.

And i need manually restart it.

I am sure it is a realy bad router but it never happens before with emule or transmission or others p2p programs.

Even using uTorrent for windows. it doesn't happen.

It happens only when i use uTserver.

It was very annoying.

Any idea ?

The real problem now is the floodind of my router.

I have a realy bad Adsl: 800/320 kbit so my max download/upload rate is 100/40 kbyte

The router that i use is my provider free router and i cant change it or i cant connect.

Can you reconfigure your modem/router to run in bridge mode, and install a more robust router on its LAN side?

I can't change the router. It had a slot in which i need to insert a smart card with a chip on it where are (i think) my connection credentials and the router config file.

When i chaged the router (beacuse it dont start anymore) i put my old card in the new one and all the config (wap pass and virtual server and nat ports opened) was there.

Now i have changed the half_max_connection from the default 250 to a more conservative 32 and the router was working well since 10 hours.

I will try to rise the value and find the maximum supported.

(I hate my provider)

32 is more than enough for most conditions. uTorrent will run just great with it at 10, 5, or even 1, although it may take a few seconds longer to find and connect to new seeds and peers. With your rather slow speeds, trying to connect to thousands of different people is not necessary and not helpful. Presumably your global connection limit is pretty low anyway. If it works, don't try to break it again ;) You might also want to experiment with DHT on and off since that can stomp on poor routers.

Killing utserver under Linux is really simple using the killall command. Assuming you only have one utserver process that you want to kill! Restarting can be a bit more tricky since it can take several seconds to terminate gracefully and starting a new one before that happens sometimes causes problems. It would be nice to have a shutdown command in the Web API though.

Archived