Upgrading from an old release to a newer one

biatch0

I'm currently running 21886. Is there any way cleanly upgrade to the current 22789 (or other future releases) with the current torrent list untouched? Re-adding the torrents wouldn't be the end of the world but it would definitely be nice to avoid that...

Thanks!

I'm currently running 21886. Is there any way cleanly upgrade to the current 22789 (or other future releases) with the current torrent list untouched?

I would think that you could just stop the server, replace the utserver binary in your current installation, and start the server. There aren't incompatibilities in the settings files among the releases so far. Let me know if it doesn't work this simply.

Overall, the steps you listed went perfectly.

Minor issues came up though:

- there were 2 files in the active torrents that had odd characters (ö and an upside down ? (I think?)). uTorrent reported "Error opening" both files and stopped both torrents. Going into the file list, set both files to "Do not download" and everything seems fine now.

- there were a number of files with different owners which had no effect on the earlier 21886... 22789 complained of "Error opening" as well. This is probably improved security on 22789 not allowing the process to read other users files... Not really a problem but thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Thanks!

there were 2 files in the active torrents that had odd characters (ö and an upside down ? (I think?)). uTorrent reported "Error opening" both files and stopped both torrents. Going into the file list, set both files to "Do not download" and everything seems fine now.

Can you post or PM me how I can reproduce this? Is the associated torrent file available somewhere? It sounds like you may have a way to consistently reproduce this problem, so I'd like to try.

there were a number of files with different owners which had no effect on the earlier 21886... 22789 complained of "Error opening" as well. This is probably improved security on 22789 not allowing the process to read other users files... Not really a problem but thought it was worth mentioning anyway.!

I think there isn't new security in that way. utserver can only read a file that has its access such that it is readable by the effective user of utserver. If you can provide me with a way to consistently reproduce this, I'll work on it.

Can you post or PM me how I can reproduce this? Is the associated torrent file available somewhere? It sounds like you may have a way to consistently reproduce this problem, so I'd like to try.
The torrent is from a private music tracker - although you could probably find the album elsewhere (or possibly just create a your own torrent with a cleartext file with the problematic filename).

"03-sun_(kössin_mix).mp3" was the file that had issues - it was renamed by uTorrent into "03-sun_(kössin_mix).mp3". 21886 wrote to that file and I think also read from the incorrect file - so no errors appeared (although I'm not sure I restarted utserver so that may have something to do with it). 22789 I'm guessing tried to read from the correct filename. Possibly text encoding issues?

I think there isn't new security in that way. utserver can only read a file that has its access such that it is readable by the effective user of utserver. If you can provide me with a way to consistently reproduce this, I'll work on it.

I can't remember the chmod of the files in question (most probably -rw-r--r--). The files were owned by a normal user (not the same as the one running uTorrent) and copied to the home folder of the uTorrent user by root. 21886 read the files perfectly apparently ignoring ownership, 22789 complained of "Error opening" until I chmodded the files 777 (they are still owned by the original normal user).

Archived