So, what's next for µTorrent?

eisa01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the PEX becoming universal so the only thing I'm still waiting for is the UDP NAT traversal, so I can use µTorrent on my college lan. After that all future options are gravy.

Adding AzDHT support would be nice and BitTornado's newest version supposedly has a more secure Super-Seed mode that BitComet can't take advantage of. So that might have some possibilities.

How about easy fixes for "annoyances" ? :

- ETA that works at least as well as subtracting start time from current time and dividing by percentage completed. (Just copying BitTornado's algorithm would suffice)

- Optional columns for all commonly used settings, like Bandwidth Allocation (as requested by some members)

*** - Separate Column for ERROR MESSAGES, so we don't have to expand Status all the way to the right side of the page to read them. (Should have been done in version 1.1 )

*** - Logging of ERROR MESSAGES to the LOG ( Should have been done in version 1.0 )

I really think utorrent is a great program which is much appreciated, but having only one developer leads to weird oversights like the above. There is absolutely no way that "Tab Icons" and "F7" come before the above.

LOL, so many means exactly? Three, five or seven?

What is the point of making torrent client allowing simultaneous downloading of many torrents but with network setup based per each download - not global?!

What is the difference if I start downloading two torrents using uTorrent or, for example two bittornado's now?

From the network setup point of view? N O N E

In fact launching two bittornado instances I have bigger flexibility, because I can assign exact (and different) number of upload slots and upstream per every torrent... but this is not what we need, don't we? All we need from torrent client is to allow us to have one, good, stable configuration using upstream most efficiently, no matter if we are downloading one, three, five or even fifteen torrents currently.

This is master feature uTorrent is desperately lacking now and should be implemented as soon as possible.

Running enough torrents to need to have global upload slot limits is running enough torrents that you're most likely screwing yourself over with protocol overhead.

Screwing yourself over with protocol overhead means your download speeds are going to suck hardcore.

You want this feature that badly, write your own client.

We actually considered SSL support, but ludde said it'd be complex and require a lot of code. He's not sure if he can implement it without having to use a bunch of huge libraries. That's why I said "doubt it." But that's not a no, it could still happen.

Screwing yourself over with protocol overhead means your download speeds are going to suck hardcore.

Oh yeah baby. Like I have nothing better to do instead watching my overhead and tweaking my number of upload slots per torrent everytime I add another torrent to my queue. And everytime any of my torrents finishes downloading/seeding too, ofcourse.

You want this feature that badly, write your own client.

How about switching to use and advertise one has it since begining? Like, for example, BitComet...

I wonder what is so terrible wrong with this - obviously increasing efficiency - feature that uTorrent can't have it, and such often despised and bashed here client has it already. Interesting.

kurahashi, if you have your upload slots capped at 8, and you run 10 torrents, that means that doing things your way would make you not upload *at all* on at least 2 of the torrents. That's pure leeching, and it'll not only hurt your speeds on those torrents, but it's just plain wrong.

You shouldn't need to tweak the number of upload slots at all after you decide on an initial setting is the point. You set don't count slow uploads/downloads and set the max number of active torrents; that's all. That effectively does set a cap on global upload slots. Your problem seems to be that you simply have your max active torrents set too high and want µTorrent to work around you doing things wrong.

Archived