possible to revert to non-treeview list in 2.2?

comaxauto

Just upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.2 and was disappointed by the new treeview list for labels and RSS feeds. Even with the Find and Apps panes disabled, it takes up much more space than in 2.0.4; not particularly in the spirit of µ.

Here are before and after shots.

204list.png22list.png

Is there a setting in the Advanced Preferences where I can tell 2.2 to use the old 2.0.4 non-treeview style list?

Eh, I'm not sure why people keep bringing up "the spirit of µ" whenever anything is larger in µTorrent than they prefer. The µ doesn't mean "everything tiny" -- not even the executable filesize. From the beginning, µTorrent has always attempted to provide a UI that blends in well with native Windows applications (this treeview is not unlike Windows Explorer's directory tree), while maintaining reasonably low system resource requirements. Keeping with that direction is more in line with "the spirit of µ(Torrent)" than blind adherence to size restrictions on all fronts.

I do tend to agree that the extra space required to show the same things is undesirable though. The main difference that's causing such a large discrepancy in size is the extra 1-2px padding on top and bottom of each item (which can be set via the Windows APIs). The issue then really becomes whether or not there's a clean way to properly detect the metrics to use given any arbitrary OS+theme combination. And well, I guess the icons were also enlarged, which is why the extra padding was necessary to begin with, so I don't really know how much smaller things can be made without the icons looking out of place.

Anyway, to answer your question: No, there isn't a way to revert.

I wouldn't say that this is "another step towards bloated clients and ineffective structure" but I do find the tiny bit of extra space there a tad out of place. I do use longer label names so I end up scrolling some just to see the numbers at the end. If the Labels branch was removed from the Torrents tree and made into it's own tree like the feeds I believe it would function better.

about tree stuff, i know for sure a place where tree conception would fit ok - torrent folder structure, atm it's not possible to rename a subfolder within a torrent, only file by file, but it deserves a separate topic. as for labels, if devs are trying to follow ms win philosphy, i can point that in case of the big amount of shortcuts they have a text box to type stuff to filter them in win7 start menu. just as an idea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that now the simplest way for a user to deal with insufficient screen space is to buy a more expensive monitor (with wider screen). Before this "improvement", I thought that inspiring the users to spend more money for hardware was the Microsoft Corp. only task.

The treeview is in fact a native system control now.

As far as I understood, it results in a simpler programming. A good step forward to MS's view of the world.

Anyway, I should thank developers for their work. Even if this particular part of the work (converting to tree-like view) would be never done at all.

It takes too much space now, it shrinkens the main part of the window and, it's awfully lagging, why is it now lagging ?

The GUI doesn't respond just as we click like in 2.0.4.

I really think you should re-think your position about tree view too as more and more people are going back to 2.0.4 for that space saving reason which is for them the spirit of µ indeed.

uservoice suggestion : Revert to a fast, compact and effective graphical user interface

I agree with everyone who objects to the treeview.

The use of a treeview for the categories provides no user benefit whatsoever. It may be a control that "blends in well with native Windows applications " but who cares about that? When the only operation available is to close the labels section or close the entire tree it's daft to be seeking a "blending in with Windows"!

DeadWingKnight seems to think that the space loss isn't that great (see jesus2099's uservoice suggestion) but it is to those who find that it is. His opinion is just an opinion and it's based on his needs, not others. I have a 1200 wide monitor and, even in the previous version, I can't fit all the columns that I find useful. I've had to further diminish what I want to see in order to accomodate this blank space in the treeview, so please don't even think about telling me that it's not much loss.

Like all treeviews that shift the entire content two columns to the right simply because there's a root node with its open/close icon and its pointless "this is the top" icon there's no denying that it's wasteful of space.

People who aren't fools know how to resize the window and use the scroll bars, although certain others think that this advice is all that's required in dealing with this backwards GUI upgrade. I object having to do this as a workaround for someone's strange idea of an improvement. Having to redo it every time I open the program doesn't help.

Back to the wasted space theme, even with resizing the window just to fit the labels, there's still the wasted space caused by the indenation of the labels sub-category. It's not as if I can even create sub-folders within labels. In short, there's nothing treefully useful about the treeview!

Seriously, uTorrent, please consider undoing whatever improvement the treeview was supposed to be and revert to the inline lables. At least allow it to be an option. If you do then I promise you, if the old style categories box is set as the default, you'll see very few people choosing the treeview option. There's simply no benefit in doing so.

There are other things wrong with the new GUI. Pastel progress bars with white text? It is in no way an improvement to make something less readable. Come on, guys, this is Interface Design 101!

At the moment version 2.2, for all it's improvements under the hood, is making you look like some Microsoft clone where each version of the product adds good things but also takes away something very useful and/or pointlessly makes certain things harder to do. Now that's "blending in with Windows"!!

Yes, this can and should be made more efficient. Please put some time into this.

Putting Labels in it's own tree would already make a huge difference for longer label names.

But what i would like to know is, how do we change that terribly pink label icon ?

I've made Status Icons already, but where does the label icon go ?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived