µtorrent kills the internet connection

The_Adventurer

No, there isn't an option, reason being that UDP packets are connectionless. There's no system of ACKs and whatnot like there are with TCP packets that make it a real connection, or at least from my understanding, and what little bits of stuff I remember my Systems Programming teacher taught me.

Edit: Oof, slow forums has me fearing refreshing (I open a bunch of tabs in the background), so I didn't notice that Firon responded already =P

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...you have to do the thing in the FAQ. Use HyperWRT thibor. You don't have to disable DHT or UPnP with this particular router.

I'm afraid to replace my firmware with a 3rd party (HyperWRT) -- maybe I shouldn't be, but the FAQ is kind of scary. I'm mostly afraid that if it screws up, I'll have spend a lot of time getting it back like it was, and I'm busy at work. And I've got a VoIP box hanging off my router that is working fine -- don't want to chance that no longer working.

I've been using UT for a 24 hours now -- downloaded 2 files for a total of 2GB of data -- and haven't lost my connection. So I'm hoping I'm okay with the 4.20.7 firmware...

...you have to do the thing in the FAQ. Use HyperWRT thibor. You don't have to disable DHT or UPnP with this particular router.

I've been using UT for a 24 hours now -- downloaded 2 files for a total of 2GB of data -- and haven't lost my connection. So I'm hoping I'm okay with the 4.20.7 firmware...

I've been using my WRT54G v4 with the same firmware as you for a long time now, and I've never had a problem with forwarding, UPnP, DHT, dropping connections, whatever.

I'd say: Keep it the way it is now, and keep the HyperWRT option open in case you do run into problems.

• 1 month later...

Im having same problem as sach,but my d/l speeds are good,got the green light.Problem is AFTER i stop running utorrent i get the "network cable is unplugged" message every 5 minutes.Any ideas?

im running linksys befsr41 v4 6 mb cable modem(toshiba)

I cant seem to find the faq's ultima.It seems from all these posts I shouldnt even be using this router I should be using the wrt54g.Anyway i unplug my router now while using utorrent and BINGO! no problem.It only takes 5 mins to replug my network together so im cool with that for now.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm using a Netgear WPN824 RangeMax Router.

I've done things suggested here, DHT off, halfopens 4, bt.connect_speed 5, and I can reproduce these connection drops, ISP drops, router reboots, and router hangs with as little as 1 seeding task with 2 Global Max Number Of Connections!

These problems manifest on different torrent apps too, of course. I'm giving up! I'll get a new router eventually. Thanks for everyone's input.

I discovered that with certain Netgear routers overheating is a serious issue (especially with torrents).

I will test this theory and get back to you. Solutions include drilling holes in the casing, and even installing a fan.

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?p=128866

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?p=19600

EDIT------------------------------------------------------

I reinstalled the latest firmware, and reset settings to default and manually restored them. I removed the entire casing of the router and used a house fan on the board, but using torrents still caused my wireless connection to drop.

I don't yet know if it solved the router crashing issue.

junks

Well. I had a similar problem.

My internet connection (DSL, no router, using WinXP SP2's PPPoE client) crashed in 10-30 minutes with utorrent.

I think my problem was at least correlated to the PPPoE client. Why? Here's my solution:

I have an old PIII 500 laptop lying around with two PCMCIA NICs. I installed ClarkConnect on it (a free linux router software... www.clarkconnect.com ) and used it as a router, thus removing the need for a PPPoE software on my PC. I had used ClarkConnect in a 6 PC home environment that crashed routers daily with great success.

... and voila! No crash anymore... for the last 2 months. This homemade router is quite stable too. I only had to reboot it once.

So, if you're affraid you can't find a good router out there, you now know you can built your own!

I still have some slowdowns but I just patched the TCPIP.SYS... If I don't come back here, it would mean that it worked.

My problem seems relatively related so I'll throw into this thread to keep the forum traffic down. I've had this problem on and off for quite a while now and I'm not sure what causes it. I thought it was my NIC, I changed motherboards and that didn't solve the problem. I've tried putting in a separate NIC, no change. Running v1.5 build 437 on a Netgear WGR614 v6 router with a Westell modem (no choice there). I've also tried this with no router so I know the router isn't the problem.

From time to time, my net connection just grinds to a near standstill. Every web page times out. Pulling e-mail, I might get 3 a minute. The second I kill uTorrent, everything speeds up to normal, so I know it's something in uTorrent causing the problem. I never had a problem like this with Azureus.

I've cut my upload speed to between 55-60% of my max, my max global connections are down to 120. It doesn't seem to affect my speed in uTorrent necessarily, just everything else.

Ideas? Suggestions?

What a leecher! :P

Cephus, try reducing half-open setting in µTorrent to only 4 and reduce connection rate from 20 to only 8. Disable DHT if you haven't already. Check the number of upload slots you allow, too few or too many can cause download/upload slowness (but probably not your problem.)

I discovered that with certain Netgear routers overheating is a serious issue (especially with torrents).

I will test this theory and get back to you. Solutions include drilling holes in the casing, and even installing a fan.

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?p=128866

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?p=19600

EDIT------------------------------------------------------

I reinstalled the latest firmware, and reset settings to default and manually restored them. I removed the entire casing of the router and used a house fan on the board, but using torrents still caused my wireless connection to drop.

I don't yet know if it solved the router crashing issue.

junks

Thus I pretty much ruled out an overheating issue, then I found my Netgear WPN824 listed on Azureus wiki as bad router, not able to handle many connections. http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers but limiting connections as suggested did not resolve issue.

My conclusion: my Netgear blows for torrents... I bought a Linksys WRT54G and it's working fantastic! Good range, too. Wish I could get the better firmware for it but it's the V5.

Thanks for the help everyone...

• 1 month later...

My NIC is dying but unlike some others here, it happens exactly the same with Azureus.

My configuration

WinXP SP2, tcpip.sys is patched, Cable, no router, 8MB down/768kbps up.

Limited per torrent connections to 100, total 200. Limiting upload rate to 75KB/sec.

The problem appears to be cummulative (as though it's slowly consuming some resource

that is never returned) and not based on peak load, as it usually happens when I'm just seeding.

I usually download 1 or 2 files, and then let it seed for several hours. I've found that

if I accumulate about 10-12 hours of connect time, then the NIC dies.

I lose all other internet apps and in fact, some won't even start.

I run PING and it says app failed to initialize. Telnet, can't connect.. Lose IP and can't renew.. etc.

Tried disabling network and reenabling, no go. Tried disabling NIC driver and reneabling.. no go.

Only fix is to reboot. I seed at 75KB/sec and I've seen continuous download rates as high as

400KB/sec so I'm totally satisfied with my performance and don't think there's a fundamental problem

with my settings. I say the problem is cummulative because if I only seed for 5 or 6 hours.. no problem.

But come back 3 or 4 days later and download and seed for another 5 or 6 hours, and it will kill the NIC.

Do it all in one session.. seed for 10-12 hours.. kills it dead every time.

Thought it might be problem with built in NIC, so I added a brand new Linksys PCI NIC. Same problem.

Thought it might be problem with my old cable modem, so I had em replace with newer model. Same problem.

Had em upgrade my service to higher speed. No change.

The difference between my story and many others here, is that the same thing happens with Azureus

in the same timeframe.

ian

I have a BEFSR41 4 router. I have had no problems at all up until a few days ago. While uTorrent is open, every 30 seconds the internet disconnect icon appears and then disappears after two seconds or so. I'm not sure what the problem is, but this is only happening with uTorrent open. I don't understand this problem, because I have been using uTorrent for several months now and have never experienced this problem before.

Hmm, I have had this modem quite some time with no problems at all. Odd, that it would just all of a sudden start doing this with torrents.

Any recommendations for a good router? Not wireless, needs to be ethernet.

WRT54GL seems to be a favorite from what I've seen.

Archived