µtorrent kills the internet connection

The_Adventurer

Unless you can provide specific details on how he thinks uTorrent is "badly written"' date=' this claim just seems to be false[/quote']

Greg, in my case I wouldn't say "badly written". I would say "wrong concept". I can upload to a remote client using TCP at a speed of X kB/s. If I see that uTorrent is insisting on making a uTP connection after each disconnection, where the upload speed is 0 kB/s, I would call this a "wrong concept". Insisting on this uTP connection, which leads to no upload, is the "wrong concept" in my opinion. But hey, everything can be changed (I guess).

Well, 0 kB/s is certainly bad, but uTP is not a "wrong concept". Data transfer over UDP is a fundemental part of the internet. So the question is, what is preventing that from working? Can you provide a Wireshark capture?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is preventing that from working? I don't know. I am not the expert. Switceck told me that it is bad uTP implementations or bad routers. As I told you I am not an expert and don't know how to use Wireshark but I can tell you how to reproduce this.

Run a torrent with a few peers and seeds (so it won't be hard to see the transfers) with uTP disabled. You should see nice transfers. Now enable uTP and check the transfers with same peers/seeds. Some of them will transfer at speeds close to 0. These are the peers/seeds that can't handle uTP. These connections will disconnect and connect over and over using uTP, leading to slow transfers.

Now look at the big picture and multiply these bad connections by I don't know how many, and you get a slower bittorrent network.

And don't forget to tell us what you found.

What is preventing that from working? I don't know. I am not the expert. Switceck told me that it is bad uTP implementations or bad routers. As I told you I am not an expert and don't know how to use Wireshark but I can tell you how to reproduce this.

Run a torrent with a few peers and seeds (so it won't be hard to see the transfers) with uTP disabled. You should see nice transfers. Now enable uTP and check the transfers with same peers/seeds. Some of them will transfer at speeds close to 0. These are the peers/seeds that can't handle uTP. These connections will disconnect and connect over and over using uTP, leading to slow transfers.

Now look at the big picture and multiply these bad connections by I don't know how many, and you get a slower bittorrent network.

And don't forget to tell us what you found.

You're drawing a few incorrect conclusions here. But, your description of 0 kB/s and disconnections does sound like a bug we fixed in uTorrent 2.0.4:

-- 2010-09-24: Version 2.0.4 (build 22150)

- Fix: uTP ack-timer wrapping issue

So, if both sides are running 2.0.4 or greater and you still see behaviour like this, I'd like to know about it. If either side is running 2.0.3 or older, this behavior could occur.

It is hard for me as a user to know what build the remote user is using. Maybe you can observe this better from the office. I will continue to follow this anyway and let you know by mail.

It's not that hard. In the same peer list where you see the 0 kB/s transfer rate, look in the Client column, it lists the client and version number.

But the Client column doesn't show the build number. What I see is with 2.0.4's and 2.2's but I don't know the exact build numbers.

You don't need the exact build number with the 2.0 series. 2.0.3 and below will have the bug, 2.0.4 will not. With 2.2 you're right you would need the build number, so just ignore those for now since you can't tell.

It is hard for me as a user to know what build the remote user is using.
It's not that hard.

The fix was introduced in 2.04 build 22150, There were 4 previous 2.04 builds. Unfortunately you chose not to increment the version # to 2.05 , thus - it IS hard to say for sure.

I guess it's not too late to just upgrade the version # even now. Many trackers' admins will thank you for that too... :)

The fix was introduced in 2.04 build 22150, There were 4 previous 2.04 builds. Unfortunately you chose not to increment the version # to 2.05 , thus - it IS hard to say for sure.

I guess it's not too late to just upgrade the version # even now. Many trackers' admins will thank you for that too... :)

Well, I didn't pick the version number personally. I'll bug Firon about it.

• 3 months later...

utorrent kills my internet after few minutes of downloading, i read all the guides and set and checked everything the right way.

i have a linksys wrt120n router

my speed is 25/2, cable from cox

i have DHT, and the port mapping unchecked

upload rate = 92

max # of connections = 200

max # of connected peers = 60

upload slots = 6

bt.connect_speed = 4

net.max_halfopen = 2

im on win7 with no patched tcpip.sys

any suggestions?

when i run troubleshoot on the internet, the problem it fixes is the default gateway was not available

thanks

whats a good router, Cox gave me this router when they installed the internet, the weird thing is ive been using utorrent for a long long time, and all of a sudden its doing this

i took ya advice, downloaded the 2.0.4 and set all the settings the way you said, so lets see if it helps.

thanks man

Well... I had the same problem after last update to ver. 2.2 .

Experimenting with µTorrent settings didn't work, so, as frustrated as I was, I tried to:

1. Completely uninstall µTorrent (+ "yes, i'd like to delete my settings"; + registry clean ).

2. Next step was to search for latest firmware for my router - via LAN cable ( DLink-615; not top shelf product but in my opinion - quite decent , ergo ideas like: ' your router sucks 'cause it's old, yellow, smells funny and do not make coffee... ' were not helpful at all.

3. After successful FW update, I installed µTorrent ver2.2 one more time. OS Reboot and....

So far, so good . DL speed over 15 Mb/s and no problem. If asked, I would say .... I have no idea what was wrong =P

Łukasz

"latest" news : http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/2005/04/24/how-to-configure-your-router-to-allow-fast-bittorrent-downloads/

• 4 weeks later...

Problem:

My router breaks link to my ADTRAN i.e. Modem, only when I am downloading/uploading torrents with uTorrent, after starting the download/seeding, everything is fine, after 5 to 7min, faster with more active torrents and slower with fewer without fail router will lose link to ADTRAN, simply rebooting the router is all that is needed to gain my connection back, when the link is broken the ADTRAN and Router lights all indicate proper operation, only thing that is noticeable is the link light on the ADTRAN is off indicating no link, am able to still easily connect to router though web interface with out internet working to reset router.

Router disconnect issue started about a week ago, up until that time, I have not touched the router settings since install several months ago, uTorrent is the only torrent software installed on my system, have not touched it's settings since install almost a year ago, only tweak the speed settings but nothing else since then, up till last week every thing ran just fine, now it will simply not download longer than 5 to 10min, issue with uTorrent started with 2.0, I then updated to 2.2, then back to 1.8.5, back to 2.2 as that didn't seem to help.

Equipment:

OS - Windows 7 64bit Ultimate - with all updates.

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor 2.61 GHz (system is not and has never been Over Clocked)

Memory - 4GB

HD - 2 500GB Western Digital

Network adapter - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (uninstalled twice & updated drivers)

Realtek Settings:

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power - unchecked

Auto Disable Gigabit (Power-saving) - Disabled

Flow Control - Enable

Interrupt Moderation - Enable

IPv4 Checksum Offload - Rx & Tx Enabled

Jumbo Frame - Disabled

Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Enabled

Network Address - Not Present

Priority & VLAN - Enabled

Receive Buffers - 512

Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - Enabled

Speed & Duplex - Auto Negotiation (Note - have tried setting it to 100mbps Full Duplex also matching this setting within the routers as this was the Negotiated speed when I hooked it up directly to the ADTRAN).

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Rx & Tx Enabled

Transmit Buffers - 128

UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Rx & Tx Enabled

Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled

Wake on pattern match - Enabled

WOL & Shutdown Link Speed - 10 Mbps First

This connection uses the following items - all are checked:

Client for Microsoft Networks

Eset Personal Firewall

Virtual Machine Network Services

QoS Packet Scheduler

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Routers:

(Note - both are wired with both having the wireless part turned off, and SPI Firewall have both been disabled - connection type is T1)

Main router - Buffalo NFINTI WZR - HP - G300NH with official DD-WRT (Professional) firmware from Buffalo installed, (Note - did a full network rebuild after resetting back to factory, updated firmware to latest that did not correct the problem, went back to DD-WRT as problem was still their with added issues, also change the max port in the router from 4096 to as low as 256 which is the lowest you can go, tried setting the TCP Timeout from the default of 3600 to 900, 600, 300 and 120, even stressed tested with doing normal download and opening lots of pages and you-tube videos, shows up to 400 to 600 connections with no disconnect but yet uTorrent will not go over 150 before it cause the router to break or lose internet connectivity).

Backup router:

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Hardware Version A4 Firmware Version 1.3NA

This is the router I used for about a year before I replaced it with the Buffalo NFINTI as it had DD-WRT which allowed me to use QoS to manage bandwidth for the 2 computers that are on my network, as my brother likes music and I like gaming so it was a must :D, but again this router worked fine a year ago with same settings pretty much that are on the Buffalo, but the router to was breaking it's link with my ADTRAN with uTorrent running.

My connection is a T1 so I have a static IP, so I plug in my IP Address, Subnet Mask, Primary and Secondary DNS, everything is pretty much default after that, I do change the DHCP settings so I don't have that 198.162.1.1 for my LAN, and I add my few Port Forwarding, for uTorrent and a few games, disable the wireless radios, every thing is pretty much factory or default.

Software:

uTorrent 2.2 Settings:

Check association on start up - checked

Prevent standby if there are active torrents - checked

Listening Port set correctly/manualy within router

Enable UPnP port mapping & Enable NAT-PMP port mapping - unchecked (Note - I also tried it with both of them checked, and turning UPnP on within the router, either way when I check the port is open, always get the green check mark with test and while seeding, so setting it manually or using the other method yields an open port but does not fix the disconnect issue).

Add windows Firewall exception checked even though Windows Firewall is turned off and set to disabled in services.

My connection speed is 184kB/s up/down 1.5mpbs.

Maximum upload rate set to 140kB/s

Download rate set to 175kB/s (Note - before problem for as long as I can remember I could and had it set for 175kB/s up and down, had no problems what so ever).

Current Global maximum number of connections - 100 (Note - was set to 450, after problem occurred set it to 225, tried as low as 10).

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent - 25 (Note - was set at 100, tried as low as 10).

Number of upload slots per torrent - 3 (Note - was set to 6 before problem).

And Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90% - checked

Enable DHT Network and Enable DHT for new torrents - unchecked (Note - both where checked before problem).

Enable Local Peer Discovery - checked

Ask tracker for scrap information - checked

Enable Peer Exchange - checked

Limit local peer bandwidth - unchecked

Protocol Encryption - Enabled (Note - tried it with Disabled and Forced, before problem it was on Forced).

Allow incoming legacy connections - checked

Queue Settings:

Max active torrents up/down 3 and Max # of active downloads is 2.

net.max_halfopen 8 (Note - never touched this settings, but when I went to check it after reading the many things to do for problems on this form it was at 100, I set it at 1st to 50 then 25 and as low as 3, didn't help the issue of disconnection, so I left it at the recommended 8.

For Security I use Eset Smart Security 4 Version 4.2.58.3 while testing I disable every thing.

Facts:

The problem 1st occurred about a week ago, before then Iv never had an issue with router or using uTorrent.

When the problem 1st occurred, I updated uTorrent to the latest, that didn't correct the issue.

I have not updated or installed anything in the last month up to when the issue happen.

What I have done:

I have called my ISP a few time to check out the connection, they say it's fine. (Note - I know they don't throttle or shape bandwidth/connection).

I have tried a friends router (Linksys) with the same results.

Called Buffalo Tech support, I then upgraded to the newest firmware, it gave me nothing but problems so I went back to the DD-WRT firmware provided by Buffalo.

I've tried just about everything short of getting a shot gun and pointing it at the routers, I reset and rebuild my network 3 times, on both routers. (Tried using just plain minimal settings, tried using enabling all settings).

Changed every possible setting one at a time testing with network card, it makes me very upset to have to make changes to my routers and system when I know those setting worked fine for so long, I am at wits end Please help.

I have taken nearly 2 whole days trying to figure this out, and even more time reading all the forums available that I could search out, most of them say it's too many connection, my router just can't handle it, I would believe that if the router I'm using didn't have 64Mb of memory and a 400mhz CPU, even then I've tried all the settings suggested and then some, it's not heat or electrical, trust me it's really cold in the room that my equipment is in right now, all my equipment is hooked up to a good surge protector.

Also I've plugged right into my ADTRAN and let it run for over an hour and no disconnect, so that rules out my ISP and ADTRAN i.e. Modem, so what could be going on?

The ADTRAN is model number 616

Before posting this ran a full system virus scan twice with Eset, ran Malwarebytes & SUPERAntiSpyware as well, all that was found were some tracking cookies, after every major settings changed I also ran CCleaner.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers, as I build them and fix them all the time, upon request I have the HiJackThis file ready to go and downloaded ProcessExplorer.

But it just seems like this problem just all of a sudden just happen and it perplexes me as I know if something goes wrong with a computer you can remember the last few things you did before the problem then you can trace it down :|

Any help or suggestions...

Thank you,

I have tried it with 3 different routers...

Buffalo NFINTI WZR - HP - G300NH

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit

and a Friends Linksys Router, I can call him to get the model number, all 3 routers will lose internet connectivity after a while with uTorrent running, so I seriously doubt its the Buffalo or a router problem I hope I made that clear in my post.

did some more testing today:

I set download and upload to - 1

Maximum upload rate to - 25 kB/s (on a T1 which is 185 kB/s up and down)

Maximum download rate to - 25 kB/s

Global Maximum number of connections to - 25

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent to - 10

bt.connect_speed to - 1

net.max_halfopen to - 1

all firewalls are disabled, all virus software disabled, doing nothing on my PC

with all suggested settings from this site for issue and problems.

It still loses internet connectivity in around the 5 to 7min.

On both routers, I'm pretty sure if I had the Linksys it would do the same thing.

:|

It seems no matter what speed or settings I use it has no effect please help if you can.

...µtorrent works fine for about 10 minutes, then it kills the entire internet connection for all devices for about 1 minute. ....

Utorrent always kills your connection - all versions on all Windows version from allll ISP's on allllll routers - i tried gazzilion combination in last few years - that's despite what the programmers tell you (they'll blame just about anything else)

I did find a simple solution though

Just set utorrent to run as a scheduled task when you're not using your PC for anything else - my is set to run 'on idle' which is perfect - it closes when i go on my PC

Did some more testing, got my old computer from in the basement, it's dual boot system having WindowsXP & Windows Vista 32bit.

System Spec's:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Memory - 1 GB

HD - 37GB Western Digital Raptor, and a Western Digital 250 GB partitioned 50/50/150.

Network - Nvidia Networking Controller (On Motherboard / MainBoard)

Was having a hard time trying to get the Buffalo Router to work with the Nvidia on board Networking, the router would see the RJ45, the port would be lit, and lit on the PC, PC would see that it was connected, but would not connect, it was weird, I hooked up the D-Link Dir-655 had no problem getting it to have connectivity, it would connect with the D-Link but not the Buffalo, did some research and found their is a problem with the Nvidia drivers for some of their networking controllers, so after uninstalling the Nvidia drivers for their network controller which also uninstalls their video drivers, letting Windows install an older version of their driver things worked again, hopefully this info will help some one. :D (Don't understand why it would work with one router and not the other got to love computers :rolleyes:)

Anyway...

Ran uTorrent on the D-Link with WindowsXP & Windows Vista, had no disconnection issues the version of uTorrent was 1.7 I think, so satisfied it was not the D-Link Router I have, I tried the Buffalo, got the disconnects again.

So the Disconnection, is a combination of factors that I think I may of figure out.

So now I am perplexed as to why the D-Link disconnect when I run Windows 7, I go and try it again, now I remember the 1st time I tested the D-Link I didn't adjust uTorrent settings to recommend, when I tested it again with recommended settings, no disconnections very stable.

I again for the 3rd time upgraded my Buffalo Router to the newest Firmware 1.76, the 1st time I did that, router give me all kinds of problems couldn't put in my static IP, you can't use Firefox to set it up, you have to use IE as the web based setup of the router does not show the options adjustable for the router using Firefox, found out their is a switch on the router that has router-On-Off-Auto, the switch was in the Auto position which was causing IMO poorly design firmware/software to continually cycle for the router to use auto configure to find internet connectivity, good for users that don't no crap about networking or have to put in a static IP, and other information, once I turned that switch to On, I was able to configure the Buffalo with the new firmware, low and behold tested it no disconnection using uTorrent, but I have lost the ability to now use DD-WRT to manage bandwidth to the PCs on my network.

So I called Buffalo tech again, asked about known issues with the router, mainly all of sudden after months of issue free operation, that all of a sudden it will just become unstable when downloading torrents, the tech on the other end informed me that their are known issues and I was the 5th person to report such a problem to them :/

He also explained to me what copyright holders, some corporations are doing with the torrents that might also being causing issues with not just routers but operating systems, that they can legally put and use spying software or bugs put into some downloads, but are not limited to just that but their has been issue where serious maleware, virus, etc can also be used by them.

Well any way, my conclusion is that something in the Buffalo router started to fail using the DD-WRT firmware, upgrading the firmware corrected the problem, the problem does not seem to be uTorrent or any Windows OS, but changing networking conditions beyond my control, so I have put the DD-WRT back on the Buffalo, it's a good Router, works fine just not with torrents any more, so I will just use the D-Link if I need to torrent, when my Bro is sleep or at work, hell just might even go back to Newsgroups, as the corporate attack on torrents are going to get more and more fierce in the near future.

Hope this helps some one cause this game me a dam headache :mad:

Settings:

Maximum Ports - 4096

(Default: 32768, Range: 256 - 65535)

TCP Timeout (in seconds) - 3600

(Default: 3600, Range: 1 - 86400) (Note - durring testing tried 900, 600, 300 & 120)

UDP Timeout (in seconds) - 120

(Default: 120, Range: 1 - 86400)

Current settings:

Maximum Ports - 1024

(Default: 32768, Range: 256 - 65535)

TCP Timeout (in seconds) - 120

(Default: 3600, Range: 1 - 86400)

UDP Timeout (in seconds) - 120

(Default: 120, Range: 1 - 86400)

The default for Maximum ports is 4096 even thou it says 32768.

Archived