µtorrent kills the internet connection

The_Adventurer

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ACk!

Utorrent 1.5 build 437 is also cauing my internet connection to be lost periodically...

If I disable my connection and then enable it returns....

I have tried with DHT on/off and still my connection dies...

It is not my router as I do not have one..

I have applied the tcpip.sys patch for XP sp2 and set it to 50

I am using XP Pro sp2

Opteron 165

1GB RAM

My connection is rated... Up to 5 Mbps down/512 Kbps up

I have used other torrent software and not had this issue..

Here are my settings

Upload Limit :30 kBs

Upload Slots :5

Connectiions/torrent :80

Global Connections :400

Max Active :15

Max Active Down :15

Any suggestions on how to solve would be greatly appreciated !

CdnJoe

Probably your modem or NIC then. You did keep net.max_halfopen at 8 right?

Firon, I don't think its a NIC driver issue. I think the Microsoft team stress the driver enought before they issue the WHCL certificate to the maker of the NIC.

Also, why only ut have this problem? All other 5 popular P2P clients does not have this problem.

@wickedd,

if you used another bittorrent client, copy the same configuration to ut and test it using the same network configuration.

HTH

you'd be surprised, I've seen some USB NICs with WHQLed drivers that just plain DIE with torrenting, regardless of the program. So eh. In reality, a program can't kill your modem/router/NIC/etc, all it can do is expose that your hardware (or drivers in rarer cases) is a piece of crap. You may not like that explanation, but it IS the reality of the situation.

1c3d0g wrote:

>It was brought to our attention several times, however you seem to lack searching >skills, otherwise you'd have found plenty of threads discussing this problem. B.t.w, >it's not a bug, your router sucks, because if it didn't suck, you wouldn't be >disconnected every time.... hmm

>

>Turn off DHT, upgrade your modem/router to the latest firmware version, lower your >Global maximum number of connections, if you're using UPnP, try port forwarding >manually etc. etc. etc.

It's incredible that arrogant and prude people like this are allowed to give "support" to people. Being arrogant and telling people their hardware sucks - no matter what they use - is a really mature way to solve peoples problems.

I'm exeperiencing the same problem.

I get disconnected after a few minutes and everything that is online gets killed.

And note this: I have -NO ROUTER-.

Read that again: *NO ROUTER*

I'll just spell it out for you just in case you miss it and start blaiming my router to be sucky: I have N-O R-O-U-T-E-R

Just in case you miss it there ole' buddy.

I don't use any DSL or cable modem, because my internet is being directly connected to the wall.

My NIC works fine. It's integrated on the motherboard and all other torrentclients work without crashing or having other problems.

I have 3 NIC (Gigabit) inputs on my motherboard and I've tried them all with the same results.

I'm using a 100 Mbit connection and I can connect myself to over a thousand peers simultaneously and download with a capacity over 5 mB/sec (more than 6000 kb/sec)

so it's not related to my NIC not being able to handle the ammount of connection rates.

I've also turned of all FireWalls even uninstalled them all (nVidia FireWall) to see if it's related to that but the same problem is still there.

Think before you act and start accusing people for having crappy hardware.

ShinAkuma: I don't know what crawled up your ass, but since you replied, I will give you an answer too. :P

So you're saying you have Powerband? If that is the case, then you're fucked just like the wireless/satellite people are. Try another BitTorrent program (Azureus, BitPump etc.), if they also disconnect, you know where to look at... :/

Aaaw. Getting a bit touchy, aren't we?

If I knew you would get whiney and start - on top of claiming people having sucky hardware - telling people to strick their head out of their ass I wouldn't have written so harsh that made you so excited in insulting people even more. Poor poor baby.

So you're saying you have Powerband? If that is the case, then you're fucked just like the wireless/satellite people are. Try another BitTorrent program (Azureus, BitPump etc.), if they also disconnect, you know where to look at... :/

Oh yes. About that.

You should spend more time in english 101 class.

Let me paste a little sentance I wrote earlier: "It's integrated on the motherboard and all other torrentclients work without crashing or having other problems."

Let's cut out the important part of that very sentance, even though I already made it clear that I have absolutely no problems with other clients:

"...and all other torrentclients work without crashing or having other problems."

Just in case there ole' buddy, let's do it in bold since you seem to have the habit of replying questions to troubles I do not have:

and all other torrentclients work without crashing or having other problems -- is that enough for you crybaby?

Oh, and also I do not have Powerband. It is fun to see you have prejudice thoughts about peoples hardware and connections though.

Hum, Wonder who should try to stick their head of their own ass.

Maybe you should spend more time reading people spost rather than concentrating insulting people. Rushed insults seem to be favorable rather than reading my WHOLE post.

Nice "support" dude. Really nice.

ShinAkuma: seems you have a serious attitude problem, but since I'm not your psychiatrist, I'm just going to recommend visiting yours A.S.A.P. ;)

Boohoo...I overlooked that part of your post. You must feel like a big guy, don't you? Emphasis on the "feel" bit... :P Unfortunately (for you), bragging about your reading skills impresses no-one here, so take your Nazi crap elsewhere. ;)

I don't use any DSL or cable modem, because my internet is being directly connected to the wall.

So if you don't have Powerband, what do you have as your ISP? :|

Hi all!

I'm getting connections drops too, since I upgraded to v1.5.

The strange part is: even without any torrents downloading and/or uploading the connections keep dropping. Just with the utorrent client running it happens.

It kills all my established data connections but the connections to the servers (ftp, irc, msnmsg, etc) keep alive. Just the data transfers are killed. This happens periodically.

I'm using XP Pro SP2 with patched TCPIP.SYS to 500 half-open connections and a semi-lousy router.

I think the router can't be the reason because it still happens with utorrent idling.

BTW, utorrent it's the best BT client I tried... till v1.5! ;)

HFerr

turn off DHT Hferr, and turn off UPnP

Hmm.. I forgot DHT... UPnP was already off.

It's stable now.

Does DHT makes that many connections? Or that fast? I know my router can't exceed 512 connections and I configure the clients to not exceed that and never had that problem before, even with latest beta before v1.5. When I switched it off it had ~200 nodes. My router should be capable of manage that.

Thanks for your help.

HFerr

• 2 weeks later...
DHT generates lots of UDP packets, and many modems/routers can't handle that. ;)

Actually, many routers purposely kill a connection when lots of packets are flooding it. I dont remember the feature; it starts with an S and it's a 3 letter acronym. It's present in my DI-624 and it can't be turned off, and it's responsible for killing my connection whenever emule or utorrent is running.

edit: sorry for the bump.

Yeah, the firewall probably thinks that the computer is suffering a (D)DoS attack and restricts/kills the connection before a buffer overflow (or things lke that) happen. Unfortunately, in the case of DHT, the firewall is wrong. :/

I have a WRT54G V3.1, works great, just replace the firmware. The WRT54GL is a rebranded WRT54G v4 (the last Linux based version)

I have a Linksys WRT54G firmware 4.20.7 (latest version on Linksys's website for WRT54G) Is this one good? I just downloaded UT 1.5 437 -- and have been downloading a torrent for a couple hours now with only 1 problem -- which was for some reason it stopped with an error:

"[01:43:16] Error opening "<file>": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I wasn't accesing the file it was downloading -- so not sure why that happened -- I did a force start and it started back up. So is my router good with the following settings (I know you've been saying disable DHT and UPnp, but I'm wondering if it is okay as is listed below with my router):

Randomize each port: yes

Enable UPnP port mapping: yes

Max connections: 130

Max connected peers per torrent: 70

Num uploads per Torrents: 3

Max active Torrents: 4

Max downloads: 3

DHT enabled for both network and new Torrents

Oh ya -- one other question -- how do I know if I need to patch my TCPIP.SYS file -- and how do I patch it (I searched for this answer, but all that I found was references to poeple patching it -- not how to patch it).

Is there a configuration for DHT like net.max_halfopen?

If you could limit the DHT conections, I think can could solve the problem in utorrent.

I don't know any other P2P that kills the internet conection like ut does. Before blaming the router/NIC driver I think we should look at what ut is doing. Like having a graphic of packets/sec, conection/sec, etc. for DHT and/or torrent traffic.

Archived