Filter Java Applets - unchecked

Filter ActiveX - unchecked

Block WAN Requests:

Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping) - checked

Filter Multicast - checked

Filter WAN NAT Redirection - unchecked

Filter IDENT (Port 113) - checked

• 10 months later...

Well i'm having internet disconnects for quite a few days now, i have tried everything mentioned in this topic (the changes for utorrent, even another client).

I have a Belkin router, but i've also tried this without it, my ADSL line keeps disconnecting. No proxy. I have T-Home ADSL 15 / 1 Mbit/s. I usually use limit for download: 750 / 1000 / 1400 and for the upload: 30 / 50 / 75 / 90.

I use Chrome for http browsing. My antivirus and firewall is Vipre for almost 2 years now, (tried with no fw or av) there were no disconnects until like 2 weeks ago. Oh and i also tried Win 7 x86 and x64 as well.

It does seem random tho sometimes i can use high bandwidth (even full, with no limit) for maybe an hour but next time i just start up utorrent and my line goes off.

I've downloaded the Star Wars old Republic client in the past few weeks several times (20 gigs or so) which uses full down bandwidth, so i'm pretty sure it's not my ISP either. Browsing (http / ftp) does not seems to kill the connection either.

Anyone has a suggestion?

But i've been using the very same hardware for years now (really only my CPU and my RAM has been changed many months ago) and it worked like a charm... but for some reason this disconnects started to happen and after days of trying to figure it out i can't blame anything else but torrent clients (i've tried V*z* that killed my connection faster than uTorrent). :/

edit: typo

My ISP has resolved (at least that is what i'm told) the ADSL disconnect problem, so now I only have one issue:

Downloading any kind of torrent makes my ethernet card go crazy and drop the connection to my router. After restarting the computer it works again until i start downloading. While i'm seeding, and there is no downloading torrent everything works just fine (tested for a day or so).

Win 7 diagnostics can't seems to resolve the problem, only restarting my computer seems to work. Win 7 tries to disable/enable ethernet adapter, it doesn't work, nor manually doing it from the control panel.

Oh and the same thing happens on my wife's notebook (different os: XP) so it's not my windows / ethernet card, she has a lot older utorrent, with really different (default) settings.

The internet connection is fine no drops, disconnects. When this problem happens on my computer my wife notebook has internet and vica-versa.

Vipre has issues with uTorrent. People that uninstalled it solved their problems. Vipre is working to fix this issue.

It's strange indeed, i just found a torrent that does work without any kind of problems... It's also funny that before I installed a new windows i've upgraded to Vipre 5, which encumbered my rig heavily. So now i switched back to version 4.

EDIT:

Confirmed, it was Vipre, really strange. Got back to Avast free and it works like a charm. I'll get back to my paid Vipre in a month to see if they fixed it. Cheers mcaspi!

• 1 month later...

I have spent the last 6 hours trying to get a relative's laptop working - just upgraded their internet package and got a Docsis modem with wi-fi and all of a sudden their internet connectivity went into the toilet, when it even worked at all.. 2 other laptops in the house worked perfectly, so I was able to do a lot of cross-platform testing. After tweaking the firewall rules, wifi channels, authentication methods, doing all kinds of virus/malware scans, etc ad nauseum I finally started killing off processes and startups in msconfig. I managed to narrow it down to utorrent and when I turned off the "start when windows starts" feature I now was able to get internet on their laptop again. Nothing I did with the utorrent settings could get it to peacefully coexist with any web browser. I updated to the latest version as of today (feb 4th,2012) from utorrent.com but no dice. I was able to ping to outside servers via IP but not by name so I had initially focused my efforts on dns/ipsec issues but I eventually found a solution and it is now up and running and everything in laptop land is happy! Peer Block was what fixed it. I set it to start when windows loaded and then I will tell them to start utorrent manually (might very well work auto-starting again but this problem is fixed so I will let sleeping dogs lie. Make sure you check off the "always allow http" something or other in the settings or you could have other issues.

So from what I could see, there must be a very aggressive torrent out there that's acting like some kind of DDoS but narrowing something like that down will be a task for another soul because I'm tired and my brain melted a few hours ago.. There are still some minor issues connecting to websites while utorrent is running (a little slowdown in resolving names) but overall internet functionality has been restored so I am happy :D

Archived