Disk overload

Dvvarf

Checking processes seen in the Services tab "defragsvc" was running. I do not know if that has to do. But i discover something curious...

Restarted the PC again for the Reset button at the office, and decided to move the disk defragmenter in the D: drive went OK, but in C: has he fought in the 1st step (Relocating - Completed 0%). He fought the same way that crashes when I download a torrent, in light of HD enclosure on for 6 seconds and blink once.

Rebooted in safe mode, and passed the "scandisk" (CHKDSK) on drive D: (check file system and scan the disk for errors). It took about 3 hours but gave "disk clean". Before disconnecting scored the same to drive C: when restarted.

Sai, when I got turned on the PC and left rolling in full CHKDSK C: give some errors he found in clusters.

Was this perhaps the reason he was fighting Defragmenter and consequently the torrent programs? And that means the HD is bad or the system?

I sent an email to Seagate and posted on Microsoft Answers about it, I'll wait for the response.

LOG

O CHKDSK está verificando arquivos (estágio 1 de 5)...

225792 registros de arquivos processados.

Verificaçao de arquivos concluída.

289 registros de arquivos grandes processados.

0 registros de arquivos inválidos processados.

2 registros de EA processados.

87 registros de novas análises processados.

CHKDSK está verificando índices (estágio 2 de 5)...

294902 entradas de índices processadas.                         

Verificaçao de índices concluída.

0 arquivos nao indexados verificados.

0 arquivos nao indexados recuperados.

O CHKDSK está verificando os descritores de segurança (estágio 3 de 5)...

225792 SDs/SIDs de arquivos processados.

Limpando 217 entradas de índice nao usadas do índice $SII do arquivo 0x9.

Limpando 217 entradas de índice nao usadas do índice $SDH do arquivo 0x9.

Limpando 217 descritores de segurança nao usados.

Verificaçao de descritores de segurança concluída.

34556 arquivos de dados processados.

O CHKDSK está verificando o diário de USN...

35920840 bytes USN processados.

Verificaçao do diário de USN concluída.

CHKDSK está verificando os dados de arquivos (etapa 4 de 5)...

Falha de leitura com status 0xc00000b5 no deslocamento de 0x2d4c2000 para 0x10000 bytes.

Falha de leitura com status 0xc00000b5 no deslocamento de 0x2d4cb000 para 0x1000 bytes.

O Windows substituiu clusters inválidos no arquivo 2377

de nome \Windows\assembly\NATIVE~2.303\System\2C5949~1\SYSTEM~1.DLL.

Falha de leitura com status 0xc00000b5 no deslocamento de 0xf90974000 para 0x10000 bytes.

Falha de leitura com status 0xc00000b5 no deslocamento de 0xf9097c000 para 0x1000 bytes.

O Windows substituiu clusters inválidos no arquivo 19071

de nome \Windows\assembly\NATIVE~2.303\System.Xml\19E79F~1\SYSTEM~1.DLL.

225776 arquivos processados.

Verificaçao dos dados do arquivo concluída.

O CHKDSK está verificando o espaço livre (estágio 5 de 5)...

19551169 clusters livres processados.

Verificaçao de espaço livre concluída.

Adicionando 2 clusters defeituosos ao arquivo de clusters defeituosos.

Corrigindo erros no bitmap do volume.

O Windows fez correçoes no sistema de arquivos.

125726719 KB de espaço total em disco.

47095872 KB em 146756 arquivos.

93852 KB em 34557 índices.

8 KB em setores defeituosos.

332307 KB em uso pelo sistema.

65536 KB ocupados pelo arquivo de log.

78204680 KB disponíveis em disco.

4096 bytes em cada unidade de alocaçao.

Total de 31431679 unidades de alocaçao no disco.

19551170 unidades de alocaçao disponíveis em disco.

Informaçoes internas:

00 72 03 00 4a c4 02 00 c2 5b 05 00 00 00 00 00 .r..J....[......

21 02 00 00 57 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 !...W...........

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

O Windows terminou de verificar o disco.

Aguarde enquanto o computador é reiniciado.

Unfortunatelly i tried to download the same file i was downloading on utorrent by Internet Download Manager and the same freeze happpened. So is not more with only torrent here, is something more complex. =(

On Microsoft Answer a member said when CHKDSK say cluster problems it's phisical problem, so it's better to me contact the sale support of my computer.

I'm looking what i made.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Here's another suggestion' date=' try clearing the cache in your computer by using your web browser (it could be cache files from your browser bottlenecking your client and causing it to 'Disk Overload').

1. Go to your options page/dialog box

2. Go to the tab/section of the options dialog box/page that has clear browsing data

3. Deselect all other options in clear browsing data dialog box except clear cache and click ok.

4. (probably only applies to chrome at this point) in the clear browsing data box choose 'from the beginning of time' in the dropdown menu.

Hopefully that works...and probably running a defrag on your hard drive if its really fragmented.[/quote']

Hi SolariStar,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. However, I don't think I want to bother right now. Your solution is simple, but it does mean that I'll have to install the newer uTorrent, and most likely have to re-install the older one again. The reason I'm so pessimistic is that many months ago, when I first encountered the problem, I tried just about everything. I followed this forum religiously and tried every suggestion that was offered, but all to no avail. After wasting countless hours that way, I basically gave up and decided that until I hear from the authors that they've come up with a fix for this particular problem, no more upgrading for me. And actually, this is not exactly a "compromise" for me, because version 3.0 (and even the earlier 2.x) does everything I need, and very well I might add. At first, when I was so frustrated, I had even tried some other torrent clients, but none match uTorrent's power and ease-of-use. So I'm quite happy with this older version for now. I only began commenting on this thread because I periodically like to check to see if others have reported that with the latest release, their "disk overload" error went away. As I was reading to check for such news, I happened to catch someone's post, and decided to chime in, that's all.

Thanks for your suggesion, though. I appreciate your trying to help me out.

Regards,

George

I hope it helped others too. Try it and see if it works on the version you're using now...if it doesn't read the link below.

Here is some instructions on how to clear system cache:

http://www.carrboro.com/cache.html

*laughs* that link above is a more descriptive version of what I said.

• 2 months later...

First of all, I'd like to point out that browser cache does not connected to the issue in any way.

The problem is still no fixed, however, due to complete lack of attention from developers. The problem arises when uTorrent is trying to write out the cache, but space for the file is not actually allocated. In this situation uTorrent enters some kind of deadlock not allowing it to write out the cache even when allocation is finished. The allocation happens when you write out first block for the file.

The temporary solution - wait for allocation manually. For example, start torrent, wait for 4-5 MB to be downloaded (or more, to complete at least one piece) then hit the pause and, well, wait for cache to flushed. When you see that at least one piece of file is written that it's ok to unpause torrent. That's what I'm bound to do for now...

P.S. I've got myself a system with 100% reproduction rate - the disk is highly fragmented and speed of allocation is extremely slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after years of fighting with that problem, I think I found a workaround - right configuration. The situation with utorrent locking itself still should be considered as a bug (should not happen with any config options set).

First of all - uncheck the "Pre-allocate all files" on General tab or utorrent will ignore compact allocation allocation. Advanced config:

bt.compact_allocation = false
diskio.no_zero = true
diskio.sparse_files = true

This config is made with the following assumptions: utorrent is launched with admin rights and you have NTFS filesystem on your disks. Aa a sidenote I've got Windows caching enabled. By using this configuration I managed to drop probability of utorrent locking from 100% to 0% on my heavily fragmented system.

P.S. Ironically enough, nearly every tutorial out there on "disk overload" problem recommends enabling "Pre-allocate all files" option.

Archived