dir_completed on samba share can't create subdirectories

sunmorgus

I currently have my dir_completed setting set to a folder on a samba share (a windows pc on my network) that is permanently mounted. This works perfectly fine, except where utorrent needs to create a subdirectory for the completed torrent (say, if I download an entire season of a show from one torrent, and it needs to create the directory from the torrent that all of the shows are stored in). The log reports an error message of "The location [directory name] is not a directory" and if I cd to the samba directory and do an ls -l the directory appears to have been created as a file instead of a directory...hopefully all of this makes sense, let me know if you need any more information. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a little bit more looking into this...it appears the problem is writing to an NTFS partition, and not writing over samba. I moved the hdd that was shared on the windows pc to my linux box and mounted via the fstab...i verified that all the permissions are correct (utserver is currently running as root anyways, so that shouldn't be the problem) and whenever uTorrent needs to move a completed download to the ntfs drive and the files are in a folder it creates the folder as a file and can't go any further.

The log reads:

[01:14:46] Moving files from '/home/sunmorgus/TorrentDL/The Movie' to '/home/sunmorgus/files/Files/TorrentComplete/The Movie'

[01:14:46] The Movie: Unable to move: Not a directory

I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know if there is anything else I can do to get further log files or info...just let me know and I will be more than happy to try and gather more information.

I've done a little bit more looking into this...it appears the problem is writing to an NTFS partition, and not writing over samba. I moved the hdd that was shared on the windows pc to my linux box and mounted via the fstab...i verified that all the permissions are correct (utserver is currently running as root anyways, so that shouldn't be the problem) and whenever uTorrent needs to move a completed download to the ntfs drive and the files are in a folder it creates the folder as a file and can't go any further.

The log reads:

[01:14:46] Moving files from '/home/sunmorgus/TorrentDL/The Movie' to '/home/sunmorgus/files/Files/TorrentComplete/The Movie'

I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know if there is anything else I can do to get further log files or info...just let me know and I will be more than happy to try and gather more information.

I observed similar behavior. See this thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=85172 Perhaps the combined information can add insight!

Thanks,

Jason

I've done a little bit more looking into this...it appears the problem is writing to an NTFS partition' date=' and not writing over samba. I moved the hdd that was shared on the windows pc to my linux box and mounted via the fstab...i verified that all the permissions are correct (utserver is currently running as root anyways, so that shouldn't be the problem) and whenever uTorrent needs to move a completed download to the ntfs drive and the files are in a folder it creates the folder as a file and can't go any further.

The log reads:

[01:14:46'] Moving files from '/home/sunmorgus/TorrentDL/The Movie' to '/home/sunmorgus/files/Files/TorrentComplete/The Movie'

I observed similar behavior. See this thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=85172 Perhaps the combined information can add insight!

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for the heads up on that...I was beginning to think I was crazy when I couldn't find anyone with the same issue. I'm going to try the symbolic link solution and see if that works for me.

Archived