µTorrent 2.2.1 released

Firon

>>>Only report a torrent as red because of tracker error if we don't have any peers

Hello,

is there any possibility to set up old behavior? I have a lot of constantly updating torrents, and before this change I saw a red icon when "Torrent is not registered" on tracker, even if there are some peers. Now I have to look on "trackers" tab for each torrent.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since you guys are currently working on this, I suggest...

Setting the default installed skin as the default 2.0.4 set, hide the find pane and narrow toolbar by default, revert to the old square tray icon, and... choose some less eyebleed colors for the color progress bars:

ex:

2ahfigk.jpg

I think having the bars in color is a good idea since it's easier to visually see something's progress, but I think most people that don't like it don't like it because the colors are too sharp and the contrast with the background burns the eyes. So, darker less saturated softer colors might prove a better overall experience. Maybe even let users define their own color values...

Also... I think most people don't like the tree category view, so maybe have the old version as a default and the tree view optional. And... if it's not too much trouble, letting us drag the "Network" image at the bottom right along the bottom bar where we want it, or at least some sort of option to have it in the middle as it was in previous versions.

I think those are most of the gripes with the 2.2.x versions over the 2.0.x versions.

I guess having "apps" in uTorrent make some users feel like the devs are betraying their core values and bloating the software instead of the original minimalistic design. But, I suppose most are probably people who don't like the radical new design changes either, so if the above suggestions were implemented then most people wouldn't need to install an app to revert to the old design (which, I suspect, is mostly what people are using the entire apps feature for anyways since most long time uTorrent users chose it because of it being lightweight and minimalistic and dislike feeling bloated with apps.). Though, I suppose it might not be a bad idea to include skins as default with the build instead of having it as an app to begin with.

My personal opinion on apps, is that other than "Skins," it's just unnecessary bloat that a torrent software doesn't really need. But, as long as they aren't actually installed, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, that's just what I think... maybe some stuff to consider.

Everyone already knows how you feel about the changelog.

Good (and maybe being repetitive has something to do with it...) . Maybe that fact contributes a bit to keeping it in order...;)

Edit:

...repeatedly asking "are we there yet?" doesn't get you to your destination any more quickly. It just annoys the driver and all the other passengers.

A more appropriate analogy would be - asking "change the route please"... hoping that eventually - he will change it, to a less bumpy one... :P so, you being an admin/driver - go ahead and delete the redundant text in the changelog for the build you guys have pulled.

Argg just lost my post...

Anyways, unfortunately i still see the bug of the missing tray icon in µTorrent 2.2.1 beta 24649.

My settings are

- Start uTorrent on windows startup ON

- Always show tray icon ON

- Close to tray ON

- Minimize to tray OFF

On windows startup I get the uTorrent window but no tray icon, so if i close to tray I cannot open the application window unless i crash it.

The thing is that if the application is running and i try to execute the application again from desktop nothing happens, where i would expect that it would show the application window as if i had clicked on the tray icon. Isn't that reasonable ?

Also is there an option i don't see that enables the application to startup minimized (on windows startup)?

Thanks for considering.

Also is there an option i don't see that enables the application to startup minimized (on windows startup)?

Here's how I do it:

1. Create a shortcut to the µTorrent executable.

2. Click the shortcut with the right mouse button and choose 'properties'.

3. Change the 'Run' setting to 'Minimized'.

4. Drag or copy the shortcut into the Start Menu -> Startup folder.

Everyone already knows how you feel about the changelog.

Good (and maybe being repetitive has something to do with it...) . Maybe that fact contributes a bit to keeping it in order...;)

Edit:

...repeatedly asking "are we there yet?" doesn't get you to your destination any more quickly. It just annoys the driver and all the other passengers.

A more appropriate analogy would be - asking "change the route please"... hoping that eventually - he will change it' date=' to a less bumpy one... :P so, you being an admin/driver - go ahead and delete the redundant text in the changelog for the build you guys have pulled.[/quote']

The build was publicly released, even if for a short while, so the changelog should not be redacted. Pulling the build doesn't make it not exist, so the changelog entry should reflect that.

... so the changelog entry should reflect that.

Sure. You see, we actually agree on something... ;) And here is what it should look like:

-- 2011-02-18: Version 2.2.1 beta (build 24763)

- Change: CPU usage optimization for the GUI thread

- Fix: create more space for strings in UI for translations

Note: Pulled back, due to .... Download link regressed back to build 24649

Simple :) and I'm sure you can understand now why the same logic should have been applied also to the short lived promo builds... :P

My bet: another side effect of -

* Improved set download location/relocate feature (now moves files for you)

This feature was not well tested in 2.2 nor in here :( and untill it will be - it will manifest itself in- side-effects like this over and over again!

Archived