µTorrent 2.2.1 released

Firon

When I turn on Pre-allocate all files µT freezes and crashes.. Caching is configured correctly, and never had no problems. Spruce it will be useful I managed to create a full dump with process explorer

This dump only has a single thread, the disk I/O thread, which is blocked in the call to set a file to not be sparse anymore. I'm guessing you have a large file which was created as sparse, and now the OS is blocking while writing a gigabytes of zeroes. However, this doesn't explain uTorrent to freeze. The UI should still be responsive even when the disk thread is blocked. I can't tell what the UI is doing though, since it's not part of the dump.

Is it possible that the disk I/O slows down swapping to the point where things appear to freeze? (because swapping parts of the process back in is slow).

Do you have a dump of the crash as well?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

У меня скорость более 25 Mb/s

почему у меня скачивает на максимальной скорости 6.6 Mb/s

а загружает (раздаёт) со скоростью 3.1 Mb/s

в тоже время как параллельно не по торренту 100 Gb скачал за 30 минут

по торренту 100 Gb скачивал 36 часов

Please have a look at this ability-to-move-data-files-to-new-locations idea:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/702124-ability-to-move-data-files-to-new-locations?ref=title

Firon accidentally closed the following topic, but it still doesn't work.

It's really taking a God awful time to move multiple torrents every day. Please, please, please fix or at least have it as an option in the settings.

Here's a bit of an update with the 2.2.1 fixes:

Last night I managed to reproduce the missing systray icon issue. However, I'm not sure it's the same issue as some people have reported. I discovered that if you turn off "slawys show icon in systray", then minimize uT (to systray), exit via the systray context menu. When starting uT up again, it's still minimized by it did not add the systray icon back.

Also last night, Art fixed the file move logic to not break when moving a file to the same location (e.g. when setting the move completed path to the same as download path) as well as not deleting the destination files if there are no source files (i.e. the set download location deletes my files-issue).

These two fixes will be in the next release, which (hopefully) will be later today. Thanks for the reports!

Great! And it's refreshing to see more devs' feedback in here as well... :)

If it helps, I can point out that I tested the above in 2.04 and all is well over there ... ;) So maybe comparing to that code may give more hints...

not deleting the destination files if there are no source files (

Did you attend to the case file(s) with the exact same name is there allready? Using replace existing y/n/all/none dialog ?

And a short question: I didn't use this new "move files" much, so is there an option in there to still NOT actually move the data, and just set the location ?

If it helps, I can point out that I tested the above in 2.04 and all is well over there ... ;) So maybe comparing to that code may give more hints...

It does. In this case the bug was introduced while adding the new feature of moving the files when doing set download location though.

Did you attend to the case file(s) with the exact same name is there allready? Using replace existing y/n/all/none dialog ?

I believe we have a dialog like that. It applies to each file individually, but we only ask once.

And a short question: I didn't use this new "move files" much, so is there an option in there to still NOT actually move the data, and just set the location ?

I was talking to firon about that yesterday. I'm thinking that with this last fix, you'll probably not notice any significant difference from the old behavior as long as you use it like that. If you have had time to download anything, you'd still have to say "no" on the dialog though. Maybe something like "no, and never ask me again" might make sense.

Firon accidentally closed the following topic, but it still doesn't work.
I don't actually think that was an accident. The ideabank is mostly meant for feature requests/ideas, not bug reports. I'll copy it in here. This forum is a much better place for bug reports like this.
This function does NOT work correctly! It just dumps all the files in the root directory which you point to. This is just crazy.

Example:

Source:

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.050

Destination:

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done

Result (WRONG!):

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.050

Result (CORRECT):

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\\Avatar\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar\Avatar.050

Is this still an issue in the latest 2.2.1?

One new feature -> and so many side-effects-problems... :P

Arvid:

Maybe something like "no, and never ask me again" might make sense

Not sure we both point to the same thing , it sounds similar to what I meant.... In my above "y/n/all/none" example the y/n - refers to the current file and the dialog keeps popping up for the next, and the "all/none" intend to apply the *replacing* to ALL the rest of the files from here on or none (meaning existing old files will remain in tact). It's a standard dialog many are using as I remember...

Firon accidentally closed the following topic' date=' but it still doesn't work.[/quote']I don't actually think that was an accident. The ideabank is mostly meant for feature requests/ideas, not bug reports. I'll copy it in here. This forum is a much better place for bug reports like this.
This function does NOT work correctly! It just dumps all the files in the root directory which you point to. This is just crazy.

Example:

Source:

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Avatar\Avatar.050

Destination:

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done

Result (WRONG!):

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar.050

Result (CORRECT):

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar\Avatar.001

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar\Avatar.002

D:\Torrents\Downloads\Done\Avatar\Avatar.050

Is this still an issue in the latest 2.2.1?

Yes, and since I download about 5 torrents per day, it's taking me literally minutes every single time. It's the reason I've decided to consider other torrent apps.

What we need:

1. Select n torrents

2. Right click menu -> Set download location

3. Specify a directory

4. uTorrent moves ALL the torrents (and their files) to their RESPECTIVE sub-dirs (NOT dumping all in a single dir!)

As I've said before, all we need is EXACTLY what happens when the files are moved after a torrent has finished downloading.

You already have the code... we just need it as an option after downloads have finished.

I had to downgrade back to the official 2.2 release. With 2.2.1 I wasn't able to upload any torrents, when the files were rechecked, they were removed completely from my hard-drive, not even moved to the trash-can. Fortunately I saved a back-up copy, otherwise I would have been completely screwed.

please undo the changed implementation regarding the moving of torrents. It wasn't very easy to use in the previous releases. But at least it does work and doesn't screw thing up without a way to recover from it.

Yes, there are 2 weird things:

1/ Option "Set Download Location" doesn't preserve the folder structure when you move some torrents at the same time.

2/ Finished files that disappear when "Put new downloads in" = "Move completed downloads to".

@µT devs:

Add more space to translate the string Put new downloads in: (DLG_SETTINGS_3_PATHS_02) in Preferences > Directories (build 24567), thanks.

knmmw2gogda6hcwgyv-putnewdownl.png

Last night I managed to reproduce the missing systray icon issue. However, I'm not sure it's the same issue as some people have reported. I discovered that if you turn off "slawys show icon in systray", then minimize uT (to systray), exit via the systray context menu. When starting uT up again, it's still minimized by it did not add the systray icon back.

I have turned off that "always show icon in systray" option.

But here it goes like this:

-> start Windows XP

-> start DSL dialup connection

-> start uTorrent (not minimized)

-> minimize µTorrent

=> after some time tray icon is gone

-> close µTorrent via Taskmanager

-> restart µTorrent

=> fine

-> reboot Windows XP

-> minimize µTorrent

-> restart µTorrent

=> fine

Last night I managed to reproduce the missing systray icon issue. However' date=' I'm not sure it's the same issue as some people have reported. I discovered that if you turn off "slawys show icon in systray", then minimize uT (to systray), exit via the systray context menu. When starting uT up again, it's still minimized by it did not add the systray icon back.[/quote']

I have turned off that "always show icon in systray" option.

But here it goes like this:

-> start Windows XP

-> minimize µTorrent

-> restart µTorrent

=> fine

-> reboot Windows XP

-> minimize µTorrent

-> restart µTorrent

=> fine

The utorrent try icon just disappears after a while. To see what is going on with utorrent, you just have to click on the desktop icon and it re-opens utorrent again. It is probably yet another bug. :)

The utorrent try icon just disappears after a while. To see what is going on with utorrent, you just have to click on the desktop icon and it re-opens utorrent again. It is probably yet another bug. :)

But I think in this case the "hidden" instance still is running. So I'll end up running two µTorrent instances at the same time this way ...

Let me suggest one more check for you (XP example):

- Make sure you currenty run uT and have the icon on the system tray

- goto the system tray & right-click properties

- make sure 'hide inactive icons' is checked

- click-enter advanced

- find the uT icon and set it to "always show"

re-test your issue... and who knows, maybe it's M$ fault... for Arvid's sake ... :P

The utorrent try icon just disappears after a while. To see what is going on with utorrent' date=' you just have to click on the desktop icon and it re-opens utorrent again. It is probably yet another bug. :)[/quote']

But I think in this case the "hidden" instance still is running. So I'll end up running two µTorrent instances at the same time this way ...

Yes, it is still running in the background. Alternatively you use the windows task manager (ctrl-alt-del) to open (switch to) utorrent.

Archived