New BitTorrent Browser Bar

CMeek

I just registered with a throw-away email for no other reason than to convey how pissed off I am. You fuckers snuck in that toolbar because I didn't read beyond the "License Agreement and Privacy Policy" part of the checkbox, highlighted with links.

Sure, my bad for not reading carefully, but you people eat shit for creating a toolbar that can't be uninstalled without a lot of trouble. Trouble that the average computer user doesn't know how to solve - and you know they don't!

No simple add/remove for your toolbar. It doesn't display on the list.

I dumped it and I dump you.

What fucking idiot in your outfit thought this sneaky B.S. was a good idea and would be accepted? Talk about a group intent on committing suicide! You think the word won't spread like wildfire about the manner in which you trick people into installing this Conduit P.O.S. and the fact that you make it difficult to clean out of the files.

There are other options to use besides you. I already found one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I had to do is read page 1 and decide I will now find an alternative to uTorrent. I would simply uncheck the toolbar install option but 1) I don't know if it will install anyway as some have experienced, 2) I don't know that even if the toolbar doesn't install, something else won't instead, and 3) even if none of that happened I still don't want to support uTorrent after what I've read. I will gladly come back if it's fixed (AKA removed from the program altogether). Until then...

P.S. I, too, had to make a junk account just to post this. Thanks, asswipes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed uTorrent on a second computer of mine and confirmed that even after unchecking the Toolbar, my browser is force fed the addons and now uninstalling things is part of the installation process for me.

Not gonna be able recommend this program anymore while thats the case, and Im now looking for an alternative client myself.

uTorrent, goodbye old friend. (for now)

Brandon

I'm sure the devs will calimed that you've errored.. :) Look at my tips (para. O. ) . The only thing you need to take care of IF you like to be 100% sure that the browser's toolbar will NOT be insalled - is have a settings.dat file at the same location your install/utorrent.exe is. This will NOT count as new install but as an "upgrade", and you are done.

I suggest you tell that to your friends or send them the link to my tips .... ;)

• 2 months later...

i dont like cursing... but you are possibly costing non techies money....(geeksquad anyone..rofl)

assholes

anyway

any asshole dev/admin that says this shit isnt spyware..... fuck you sooooooo hard...

conduit uses another legit providers search... but in the process it mines all your search data among other things. so if someone is watching my search querys from my browser (remember asshole, this is a toolbar not a hijacker right...lol) without my permission.. i consider that SPYWARE!!!

install the toolbar along with firefox 4.... check out your about:config

YOUR SHITTY CONDUIT BAR HIJACKS ALMOST EVERY SETTING

the only way to remove all those about:conf entrys is to delete the entire firefox profile folder...

no rightclick reset config entrys that were created by conduit.

utorrent is no longer the utorrent of past ill sure as SHIT quit recommending the program. hope it doesnt take too long for your company to go under..

btw utorrent... if you ever realize that you cant go corporate with a piracy client. remove that shitware and send out a im sorry please come back email to your usebase..

( yes yes iv herd all the excuses... it is almost always used as a fucking piracy client...)

sorry guys.... your client sucks now... get over users bitching and fix it.... or go under... its up to you...

thanks for fucking up pc's

RYAN03RR

RYAN03RR

• 2 weeks later...

I just registered to express how completely and UTTERLY FURIOUS I am about the Browser Bar. Not only does it FUCKING add a BULLSHIT Browser bar that serves NO PURPOSE, it ALSO REPLACES my default search engine.

I have always been telling other companies to look at uTorrent when it comes to how one should develop their programs. No longer. I am OUTRAGED over how fucking betrayed I feel right now.

You have made yourselves completely untrustworthy and have lost a user who has supported you guys since since 2005.

uTorrent: Hey, we have sign up with some partnership and make a cool Toolbar to hijack your browser for us to earn more money and revenue. Do you want to install it?

User: No Thanks!

uTorrent: Well fuck you! We still gonna install it anyway!

Seriously uTorrent, what the hell. Even if user click no you still install it anyway. So don't lied about this BS saying you can choose not to install it. Even trick people with hidden spywares and put agreement under like people suppose to choose "Yes" thinking they installing uTorrent itself. uTorrent have gone down the hill...

And no I'm not stupid or computer illiterate. I read carefully and choose not to install the toolbar, and every time it install anyway.

Even if user click no you still install it anyway.

There are things called "bugs". It was not intended to install the toolbar regardless of any user input. Why don't you just 'file' a bug-report in the 3.0 thread ?

This 3-box-intelligent-test seems to either be too much for some people, or have bugs... Also, unlike most of the other dialogs - - this toolbar install-dialog - is NOT in the local language. That surely does not help people :(

Of course I did not forget, but then it refuses to install, and if I choose to install the toolbar and uninstall it afterwards, even from Firefox, then it refuses to start uTorrent and it wants to run a new installation process again.

And stop being so disparaging, we users are not stupid. :mad:

The problem is that software, not us users!

I registered to comment on the way that the toolbar gets installed.

When I updated utorrent, I carfully unselected the toolbar options.

The good news it that the toolbar did not install itself in IE9.

But, I also use Chrome and Firefox.

The bad news is that the toolbar installed itself into Chrome and Firefox even though I requested that it now be installed.

I went into programs & settings in Win7 and found it there. I uninstalled it..

Worse news: the plugins in Firefox and Chrome were not installed. Maybe the uninstall stuff does not allow them to be removed. I removed those plugins manually from those browsers.

Sloppy, sloppy installation routine.

Please fix it.

I just want to chime in as yet another user who got hit with all of the browser add-ons despite very carefully and deliberately opting out during the installation. Yes, I unchecked all three boxes. Now I have to figure out how to REMOVE all this with no clear list of exactly what is installed. If this is a bug as some have mentioned, how about a fix? Uninstall procedure? Official explanation? There are way too many people affected for this to be user error.

Now my browser searches are being redirected and who knows what else even after uninstalling.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should note that yes I DID go to add/remove programs and found/removed Conduit, but the uTorrent browser bar does not appear there in any form. It is still in Internet Explorer and I can't get rid of it.

As you may already know, BitTorrent offers users an optional browser toolbar with the download of our clients.

Recently, in an effort to provide a better browser bar and improved search, we've switched partners. The new browser bar is now customizable with thousands of free browser apps and will soon offer integration between the BitTorrent browser app and the client.

This browser bar helps support BitTorrent. To kick-off the partnership, we will be offering the bar as an optional download as part of the uTorrent 2.2 update. The bar will continue to be optional, will only download if the offer is accepted and can be uninstalled at anytime.

Thank you for your support. We'd welcome any feedback or comments at product@utorrent.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me explain to you where you are wrong.

Technically, you are correct. There are three check boxes, and unchecking all three of them, in my case, did not install the toolbar.

Here is how you trick your users. There are conventions and usability patterns that developers adhere to to improve user experience. By learning these conventions user greatly reduces efforts necessary to interact with a product. For example you press alt+down to open a list in a dropdown box, without thinking about it.

It is conventional with installers to require acceptance of the agreement as a step of installation process.

What you have done is capitalized on 1) users trust to you, 2) on convention that accepting agreement is a required process.

Although what you are doing is legal, it is dishonest. If you do want to be upfront about this toolbar installation, you should follow a convention for such installations, which is to have a check box that says "Also install a toolbar". The right thing would to leave it unchecked, but having it checked by default is not as bad as what you have done.

By this maneuver you have betrayed the trust that you have grown over these years.

I urge everybody to treat uTorrent as a potential trouble source.

It is hard to rebuild your reputation. Begin with admitting your wrong, and apologizing for intentionally using tricky practice in an effort to monetize users' trust in your honesty.

Technically this act qualifies you as a bad person (team, company).

I recently installed uTorrent since I believed it to be a good and trustworthy client without spyware addons or silent malware installs. Somewere in the install process I must have missed the fact that, by installing the uTorrent client, I also installed a Toolbar that appears in all browsers I have on my machine. Some of them even changed my start page.

Now, it may be that I just clicked through the install process without paying enough attention to what I really was installing. uTorrent has always been = just torrent, no crap to me so I guess, in my naive trust of a bitTorrent client provider, I did not pay enough attention. So that might explain why I just went through the process without noticing the toolbar install. That's fine. The blame is on me.

What is totally unacceptable to me is that I can't seem to rid of this toolbar. I've read through parts of this forum where I see that a lot of users have the same problem. I got rid of it in firefox and IE by uninstalling in the controll panel - remove programs and firefox - tools - add-ons. But the toolbar still appears in Chrome. So my question is - How the hell do I get rid of this piece of crap that I never asked for?! I've already spent hours on this problem. I've removed uTorrent and everything associated with it.

Having read the post from the BitTorrent staff, they suggest that a solution to my problem would be to go to this shady downloadtoolbar page, download the piece of crap again, reinstall it on my machine and then uninstall it. Forgive my total lack of trust, but since you sneaked a crappy malware into my machine the last time, it just might not be very problable that I would want to install anything even barely related to this shit. This can't be the only solution?? Please provide the info I need to get rid of it.

Also, just out of curiousity, what the h were you guys thinking in adding this piece of crap to your software?? It's like begging the torrent user community to never use your client again. You guys should know better. The whole thing just smells like complete mental breakdown to me. Seriously guys, WTF??

And to you guys who think that type of shit can't take down a torrent client provider, just think about the amount of people that actually took the time to register at this forum and write a post. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

• 2 weeks later...
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/123/toolbarshit.jpg

Uncheck those 3, or hit "No, thanks" and it'll skip the toolbar installation. That entire dialog is just related to the TBs.

Honestly, I'd prefer if this hadn't been done in the first place, but it's a necessary evil.

YEAH RIGHT. I made an account solely to say that the new toolbar is bullshit and this "box with the options you can check or uncheck" NEVER popped up on my computer. The only thing that popped up on my computer was would I like to update when I first turned on my computer. And I said NO... Seriously utorrent, get it together!!

Okay straight up, screw you utorrent. I'm done. And i'm finding an alternative. I tried to use the stupid program you suggested and all it does is a WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING!!! That's right, it just pissed me off. So have a nice death utorrent, and the alternative will probably be better anyways. OH!! And I checked a security site and it said that utorrent has an EXTREMELY low rating because it's super high in spyware and malware... nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just format my computer last week and after that I downloaded the new version of what it WAS my favorite torrent client. Like all of you I was now stuck up with this #$^%@ toolbar, I almost needed to format again to get rid of this.

But I found this: http://www.donnemoilinfo.com/telecharger/logiciel/Ad-Remover.php

This software is in french but it will generate a text file and tell you where are the files related to this.

Or you can open startmenu/run and type regedit, go in the edit menu and search for "utorrentbar" and "conduit" (conduit is another shit installed by utorrent).

"As you may already know, BitTorrent offers users an optional browser toolbar with the download of our clients. "

BULL!!!! Going behind our backs and installing this toolbar onto our systems even after saying NO is wrong. I have uninstalled conduit but its still on my browser but not found under add/remove programs. I uninstalled Firefox AND Chrome but both are still showing that stupid toolbar when I reinstalled the browsers. I uninstalled uTorrent SEVERAL times and still nothing. I'd rather use Frostwire from now on than use uTorrent.

All you have to do is go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the uTorrent Browser Bar. And then it's gone.

It's not silent. There's 3 checkboxes related to the toolbar that were presented to you on upgrade.

That was not my experience.

I unticked the appropriate boxes during installation so that the toolbar was not to be installed.

Guess what? It installed anyway. I "uninstalled" via add remove programs. All that did was remove the entry from the add remove programs list. The bar and it's associated mess is still there and it won't go away.

utorrent is a fantastic program, but I'll be weary of installing it again because of this garbage.

I've spent a considerable amount of time removing the crap this toolbar left behind, and I'm still not sure it's all gone.

The uninstaller for the toolbar does not appear to work, or at least it didn't on my system.

Archived