New BitTorrent Browser Bar

CMeek

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this helps people, I had the same problem as minusblindfold02

1) I unchecked all boxes and the stupid toolbar installed anyway.

2) Tried to uninstalled (running windows 7 64bit) via control panel and got error message "can't open install.log"

3) Searched my computer for the install.log – is wasn't there

4) Then found this:

1. Visit the µTorrent toolbar's download page and reinstall the toolbar

http://utorrentbar.ourtoolbar.com

2. Restart your computer.

3. Uninstall the toolbar again.

This works for me, so install the toolbar via the separate install package, restart, then uninstall utorrent bar via control panel the conduit engine listing will also uninstall automatically.

Before I did this I copied the "install log" the new utorrentbar installation made. Download it here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I3LHPZ0Y

For those that don't want to install the toolbar or download the file I uploaded.

Maybe try making a file called install.log and paste the contents below in it. Place this file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\utorrentbar folder (same folder that has the wise uninstall package in it)

Let everyone else know if it worked for you as there seem to be alot of people with the problem.

*** Installation Started 01/05/2011 12:40 ***

Title: Community Toolbar Installation

Source: C:\Users\Olaf\AppData\Local\Temp\GLBADFB.tmp | 01-05-2011 | 12:40:30 | 71680

Execute Program: C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~2\UTORRE~1\tbuTor.dll DllOnUninstall (Wait)

User Rights: Admin

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/123/toolbarshit.jpg

Uncheck those 3, or hit "No, thanks" and it'll skip the toolbar installation. That entire dialog is just related to the TBs.

Honestly, I'd prefer if this hadn't been done in the first place, but it's a necessary evil.

Very sneaky and dishonest way of implementing this screen. I am an experienced installer and I totally missed the third check box, thinking that I am accepting the utorrent user agreement.

I rarely ever post comments, but I registered to your site just for this purpose today.

I agree that a small portion of the fault is with us (users) because we trusted you wouldn't trick us this way and clicked the buttons without paying too much attention. However the fact that the uninstallation of the toolbar is so difficult and buggy (I really believe that it's not really buggy, but is made to look like this way) is inexcusable. The uninstall fails with a message claiming that the INSTALL.LOG file is not found (was it really created in the first place!!). We end up with a mess on our systems that requires a through and painful clean-up.

You really owe an apology to your users, not for adding a toolbar option (to support your efforts), but doing it in such a way that you treat us like a bunch of idiots.

Once you've uninstalled the Conduit shovelware, try running regedit.

Search (Ctrl+F) for "Conduit".

DO NOT delete everything with the string "conduit" in it. Any unless you know what you're doing, DO NOTHING.

But see how much of that nasty little sh*t Conduit Engine is still there (even AFTER uninstall).

I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate that you took the time to provide the feedback for us to track and fix the issue.

Catherine

If I may suggest, Catherine, that as a way of apology, you guys disable the option to install this toolbar as default. Anyone who does want to install it will check/enable it. Also - please add "install uTorrent checkbox, grayed out and enabled to the same install dialog - for clarity. This way, I guarantee 0% users' mistakes, and 100% users' satisfaction.

How about that ?

And have a happy new year!

No answers what so ever ? :(

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/123/toolbarshit.jpg

Uncheck those 3' date=' or hit "No, thanks" and it'll skip the toolbar installation. That entire dialog is just related to the TBs.

Honestly, I'd prefer if this hadn't been done in the first place, but it's a necessary evil.[/quote']

Very sneaky and dishonest way of implementing this screen. I am an experienced installer and I totally missed the third check box, thinking that I am accepting the utorrent user agreement.

I rarely ever post comments, but I registered to your site just for this purpose today.

I agree that a small portion of the fault is with us (users) because we trusted you wouldn't trick us this way and clicked the buttons without paying too much attention. However the fact that the uninstallation of the toolbar is so difficult and buggy (I really believe that it's not really buggy, but is made to look like this way) is inexcusable. The uninstall fails with a message claiming that the INSTALL.LOG file is not found (was it really created in the first place!!). We end up with a mess on our systems that requires a through and painful clean-up.

You really owe an apology to your users, not for adding a toolbar option (to support your efforts), but doing it in such a way that you treat us like a bunch of idiots.

This is exactly what I came here to post. I also created this account for the sole purpose of posting in this thread because I was honestly pretty appalled that uTorrent would be so sneaky in installing crap like this. Like a lot of other people, I unchecked the first two but not the last box which appears very much like a simple T of S agreement and NOT an allowance to install bloatware on my computer which requires both an uninstall in add/remove programs AND a manual uninstall in Firefox.

TLDR: Unacceptable, sneaky to say the least bloatware won't be tolerated. If this hasn't been removed in the next version I'm never using uTorrent or any of your programs again and will be spreading the word. Ridiculous.

To kick-off the partnership, we will be offering the bar as an optional download as part of the uTorrent 2.2 update. The bar will continue to be optional, will only download if the offer is accepted and can be uninstalled at anytime.

I just happened to boot up Firefox today and discover this weird empty space on my browser. I didn't know what it was, or where it came from.

I'm not some simpleton who clicks yes to all dialog boxes - I'm a software developer, and I'm always very careful to read what I'm agreeing to in all dialog boxes.

Clearly I can't trust uTorrent anymore. I'm going to uninstall it on my computer, and then run scans with Avast/Spybot S&D, just in case. After that, I guess I'm going to have to find an alternative that is open source, and doesn't run around installing crapware.

The oddest part is that I'm actually running uTorrent 2.0.2 portable, so technically I shouldn't even have this piece of crap in the first place.

Either uTorrent installed it without asking, or some other program that I've had installed for a long time installed it (I haven't installed anything new lately)

Even if uTorrent didn't install it in my particular case, uTorrent has still chosen to associate itself with this toolbar that uses dodgy methods to get on people's computers.

I installed uTorrent on Windows a few days ago. It does ask if you want to install the toolbar and the default is not to, but the position and phrasing of the question makes it very easy to say yes without realising what you are doing. The checkbox is something along the lines of "I agree to the terms and conditions (links and stuff) and want to install the toolbar". I don't know if this is deliberately sneaky or accidentally deceptive, but my first thought was certainly to just click next to the terms and conditions. If I hadn't know in advance about the new toolbar I probably would have ended up with it installed.

Hello, I just registered on here to post in this thread.

I hope your company got a nice little cut after bending over to your new bosses. I own a computer repair shop next to a major college and I used to recommend utorrent to anyone needing a fast and easy torrenting app. We service at least 5 users a day. I promise you now if I see it on a users computer I will tell them what's up and offer to get them something better. I will never recommend utorrent again.

Thanks for alienating your userbase.

• 3 weeks later...

Add to your list yet another person that just joined this list to vent!

Don't force people to accept your dumb @$$ plugins for their web browser!

You f$%@!&% retards programmed into bit torrent an application that forces me to accept the bit torrent toolbar in my web browser. I do not want your intrusive plugin in my web browser! For you to force me to accept it and expect that I wouldn't uninstall Bit Torrent is ludicrous and it really pisses me off. F$%@!&% retards!!

You could of at least made it so that I could uninstall it from my browser and still use Bit Torrent. That would have been a little more bearable.

No, it was not optional. I chose to not install it and it did anyway.

I uninstalled it from within my Firefox addons and everytime it starts back up it is installed again.

@$$holes!!!

Yeah, you pissed me off.

Registered for the same reason why most people - the uTorrent toolbar and the conduit toolbar that 2.2 version sneakily installs on your PC. I am deeply disappointed. Come on, guys, I understand you need some money to run this thing, but don't be so sneaky and misleading. You know what I mean. Just make it elaborate.

I recommend to all the users who want to totally get rid is the Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html (Free version). You need to uninstall both the uTorrent toolbar and the Conduit toolbar/search engine/whatever. Then click advanced and remove all the associated registry entries and files/folders. Please note, you have to to this twice, for the utorrent toolbar and the conduit toolbar.

Also, check your HijackThis log if the conduit and utorrent entries are gone. Usually, those are

O2/03/R3 entries for conduit: CLSID 30F9B915-B755-4826-820B-08FBA6BD249D (look here http://www.systemlookup.com/CLSID/70651-ConduitEngin_dll_ConduitEngine_dll_ConduitEngin0_dll_ConduitEngin1_dll.html and the utorrent toolbar, the actual one, as quoted in post #10 here. Revo should get rid of those actually, but if not, check against them in HijackThis and remove, or remove manually.

Conduit is known to have some tracking functions and anyway who wants to get some toolbars unsolicited way?

Disappointing that this happens.

• 4 weeks later...

ya.. i registered just to voice my opinion too..

the admin is right .. all you have to do is add/remove program and it's gone.. and it's not silent, there were three boxes to check before you installed it. one of those boxes happened to be coupled with the user agreement and privacy policy which meant "you take the toolbar, or you leave without utorrent"..

real nice guys.. sorry, i'm with pretty much everyone else.. had to try to capitalize on it somehow didn't ya?

if it would have been ANY harder to get rid of than that, i would have written utorrent off as a casualty of war for good and found a new client to love.

kinda worried about what types of spam ill receive after registering now

sad days

I also registered just so I could vent how unsatisfied I am about this new browser bar.

I never had the option to deselect the installation of this horrid browser bar either and since I'm not technologically savvy, I have no idea how to get rid of it and now appear to be stuck with it!

Thanks. [sarcasm] :(

Dear uTorrent developers,

I am a software developer and an IT person. I have a well read web server administration blog. I understand that you have to make money somehow, but please do not continue to force offering things such as a toolbar (which uses Bing, what a joke!) among other things. I have always recommended uTorrent to my friends and co-workers, but I will not use this or recommend this until such things are removed.

Packaging things that are unasked for in an installer is just not considerate, looks cheap, and I assure you that you will lose your userbase if you keep such a campaign up.

Sincerely,

-Gabe

Archived