New BitTorrent Browser Bar

CMeek

Conduit is optional and it is presented to you in the final page of the installer
Was the official response that i got to my post 'Why the hidden 3rd party software with u-torrent client'

well yes i saw that but as already said it does say To accept t&s and install...................... to me says if i don't select it the client wont install, so it suggests that you have to install this shit!!!

where it is misunderstood or is misleading,to users, it should be a separate tick box altogether not as it currently is, any how my system is now free of the bloat/spyware conduit toolbar, also as said even after uninstalling the junk & using something like revo theres still traces of it in the registry ,

i hope the devs will listen to it's user base on this and make some changes for future releases of what has been a grate product, if they don't i too will be looking at other bit torrent clients that don't smuggle this type of garbage on machines

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using µTorrent for numerous years, and I have never had a problem with the toolbar. I understand that some users may want the toolbar as well as the search page and home pages. Facebook, MySpace, MSN, etc... do this when you go to their home page. Other application installers also ask if you want to install their toolbar. It honestly is up to the user to READ the prompts and decide if they want the features installed or not. I didn't want to use the toolbar, search, or homepage, so I kept the check boxes unchecked. I have never had my browsers hijacked.

I also understand that the program is free, and that there may be 3rd party applications that come with the program. After all, you need some type of income. I guess haters are going to hate.

I still think that this is one of the best torrent clients out there. It's free, light weight and easy to use.

• 2 weeks later...
It honestly is up to the user to READ the prompts and decide if they want the features installed or not.

On the topic of reading, how about you go back and read the thread?

There are several examples of people who elected to not have the toolbar installed, and yet there it was anyway.

I've double checked by installing it in a VM just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and sure enough, I can reproduce that behaviour every time.

Hi

New member on this forum.

Have used utorrent for years, before that Limewire and Bearshare for a short time.

Bearshare was full of shit.

Limewire was ok for a while.

No I have uninstalated utorrent because some toolbars and other shit which was in som files on my computer.

Utorrent have been going the wrong way and I now use bitcomet until I find som better program.

Why do you have to destroy such a fine and god program with this tollbars and so on?

I will wait some month and and perhaps trying utorrent again.

If the same toolbars are there yet, I will unintall utorrent again, if I not find a better program, if I find a better program I will not look at utorrent again.

It didn,t help.

I got a lot of different files, hijacking of my startsite and so one.

Have used a whole evening and some of the night for deleting files which was hidden.

Bitcomet was slow and I,m now trying bittorrent, didn,t get this malware with bittorrent, but it doesn,t work properly.

Also tried Frostwire, perhaps I will try Bearshare again, have not used Bearshare since 2005.

• 2 weeks later...
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/123/toolbarshit.jpg

Uncheck those 3, or hit "No, thanks" and it'll skip the toolbar installation. That entire dialog is just related to the TBs.

Honestly, I'd prefer if this hadn't been done in the first place, but it's a necessary evil.

I just want to chime in and say that I've been a loyal utorrent user for years. Every time someone asks about a good utorrent program, I ALWAYS recommended utorrent proudly. What you have done is slimy. You KNEW that attaching that extra "want to install utorrent browser" AFTER the license agreement and privacy policy and AFTER you had already asked us twice about the add on would likely lead to people missing that extra line and accidentally installing the bar. You KNEW that users would uncheck those two first boxes, see the "agree" and click yes without reading the end of the sentence because we had already said NO to your extras TWICE. Not only that but below that screen shot the options were "install" and "no thanks" which to me implied that I had to hit install or else the next screen would get me out of my installing process.

It's all our fault for not reading the whole script, but it was also YOUR CHOICE on how to design that install. There should have been four check boxes, the first three referring to the extra add ons and the third agreeing to the license and privacy stuff. My husband is a graphic designer who does nothing but interface design and after I made the mistake of installing your stupid bar, he looked at that screen shot and said "yeah that was just them tricking you into installing their add on, it's poor design interface because it manipulates the user." You should all be ashamed.

Also, I did everydamn thing I could to uninstall everything, AND IT'S NOT WORKING. NOW IT DOESN'T EVEN SHOW UP IN THE PROGRAM LIST TO UNINSTALL YET EVERY TIME I OPEN ANY OF MY BROWSERS IT'S RIGHT THERE. WTF????????????

I'm furious, but mainly disappointed in you. You have always held yourself to a higher standard up until now, and this was something you should be ashamed of. Good luck winning back your customers.

There is nothing listed on the page about uninstalling this trash for Google Chrome. This toolbar is really fucking up a lot of websites I visit frequently, including facebook and Grooveshark. I am extremely sour about this but would sincerely appreciate any help in having this garbage removed from Google Chrome.

The uTorrentBar has completely fucked my installation of Chrome.

uTorrentBar cannot be disabled.

The extension cannot be uninstalled. Upon restarting Chrome, it appears again.

The default page can no longer be changed, it always goes to:

http://search.conduit.com/?ctid=CT2786678&SearchSource=48

It breaks the Chrome search bar.

The last instance of Chrome always crashes, apparently before settings are saved, so Bing is always the default, and that conduit page is always the homepage.

uTorrentBar isn't removed when uTorrent is uninstalled.

uTorrentBar isn't removed when 'uTorrentBar' is uninstalled.

HiJackThis removed some pieces, uTorrentBar still appears.

Revo Uninstaller removed some pieces, uTorrentBar still appears.

People aren't angry that you slipped some crippled fucking malware into the uTorrent installer. They're pissed that it's so difficult to uninstall. Adding insult to injury, Firion parades around the forums essentially saying "too bad, go fuck yourselves", instead of providing some clear directions on how to uninstall the uTorrentBar.

Probably because he has no fucking idea how to do that.

I don't care if I have to wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows. uTorrent and uTorrentBar will ultimately both be uninstalled and I will never use uTorrent again.

EDIT:

Overview of steps I took to uninstall:

Uninstall uTorrent

Uninstall uTorrentBar

That didn't work.

Use HijackThis to remove items related to uTorrent and/or uTorrentBar

That didn't work.

Uninstalled & re-installed Chrome.

That didn't work.

Re-installed uTorrent & uTorrent Bar

Tried uninstalling with Revo Uninstall.

That didn't work.

Finally:

Uninstall Chrome

Show Hidden Files in my home directory

Open the "Local Settings" folder

Delete everything in there related to uTorrent, Conduit, and Chrome.

Restarted Chrome and it functions normally now.

I installed uTorrent and that was fine. I unchecked the boxes where it asked if I wanted those toolbar apps and the search tool bar! but it still installed, like a damned virus! I can't stand misleading programs. I uninstalled the program and even in Programs and features I uninstalled all the utorrent tool bar bloatware but they are all still on all my browsers accept for one! I use 6 browsers. the only one that it was all removed from was Maxthon. It's in my Chrome browser! and now Chrome is way slower now. Utorrent has to be one of the worst crapware programs out there! Now I have to spend Hours trying to figure out how to get rid of this awful horrid crap off my PC. Bitcomet didn't do this to my PC.

does anyone know how I can remove this from my browsers?

• 2 weeks later...
All you have to do is go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the uTorrent Browser Bar. And then it's gone.

It's not silent. There's 3 checkboxes related to the toolbar that were presented to you on upgrade.

did that and it still in ie

in fact the normal option to remove is disabled

they leave everything there they just disable it

I don't think this uninstall process falls in the category "a nessescary evil"

I cannot belive that something that is this problematic for the users to remove can be called anything nice or neutral.

Overview of steps I took to uninstall:

Uninstall uTorrent

Uninstall uTorrentBar

That didn't work.

Use HijackThis to remove items related to uTorrent and/or uTorrentBar

That didn't work.

Uninstalled & re-installed Chrome.

That didn't work.

Re-installed uTorrent & uTorrent Bar

Tried uninstalling with Revo Uninstall.

That didn't work.

Finally:

Uninstall Chrome

Show Hidden Files in my home directory

Open the "Local Settings" folder

Delete everything in there related to uTorrent, Conduit, and Chrome.

Restarted Chrome and it functions normally now.

As many others I also only made this user to tell how annoying this is.

Excuse me for the language but; Who gives a shit that you have used a lot of time making a very good program when you include something like this in the download?

It just seems strange to use a lot of time on something and then throw it all into the sea.

Wow....I guess that's the end of uTorrent for those of us that don't enjoy having their computer hijacked. I've just spent a couple of hours of my precious time cleaning conduit engine (that won't allow a simple uninstall) entries from my registry. No second chances; hope that "Conduit" made it worth while to uTorrent, enough for the originators to retire. I can't see this revenue stream continuing. For you long time users out there, I presume you're also now done with this crap. I'll warn everyone that I don't dislike to avoid this application like the plague. Others can find out for themselves after they make the mistake of downloading uTorrent. Cheers.

Archived