conduit engine

mikebu

When you first install uTorrent, that's very true -- one can easily choose to avoid that toolbar.

I had two computers update with the latest version of uTorrent (well, uTorrent on two and BitTorrent (don't ask) a third). The option to not install Conduit simply wasn't there -- I got stuck with it and wound up having to remove Conduit and the toolbar.

The point is, we ought to have the option of simply updating to the latest version of uTorrent and leaving Conduit behind. That option wasn't offered to me, and that raises those "malware!" flags all over the place.

That's a shame, too. uTorrent has been one of my favorite applications for years and one of the reasons for that is it wasn't loaded up with some suspicious browser toolbar.

Good day!

I just installed the most recent uTorrent update and the installer gave me an option to install the Conduit Engine toolbar or not. I unchecked the box but it installed it nonetheless. I really think there's something going on here. I had to use registry uninstallers and a separate uninstall for Firefox as well. Added, I'm a little worried since I found this from Trend Micro's website: http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/ArchiveGrayware.aspx?language=us&name=ADW_SHOPPER.F . Apparently, but do correct me if I'm wrong, Conduit.com has been connected to promulgating adware.

The Conduit Google page is what I get when I click the Firefox icon instead of my home page that I have to now click on in delicious bookmarks. No big deal if it is benign, but I would love to get rid of this. I tried reinstalling U Torrent unclicking where indicated, but I still get it. Pretty lame move by U Torrent. Thanks for any suggestions. I am not great technically, however...so be gentle.

I agree, installed with the "No Thanks" option... and it still got installed on my comp anyway.

Uninstalled it from my plugins, but it still co-opted my browser's (firefox 4 beta 8) awesome bar. I found a fix:

1. Open Firefox

2. On the address bar, type – about:config in the URL. Press Enter.

3. You will be warned about Warranty. Click on "I'll be careful…"

4. On the Filter dialog box type – search.conduit

5. It will display all related entries. Right-click on Preferences Name and Reset.

It pisses me off to no end that I chose NOT TO INSTALL this plugin, and it ignored my choice and did it anyway... the fact that I had to spend extra time figuring out how to remove all the last remaining vestiges of it added insult to injury. Please fix this problem.

Dear good souls at utorrent.com,

I have been using and promoting utorrent for the last so many years. For the first time now I feel like getting away from utorrent for the annoyance and uneasy feelings this conduit engine brings in. Being a security expert, I can smell and tell that this stuff has something weird about it. It works in such a hideous way, even without showing up it's name (but a simple lens icon) in the browser's search box.

I almost never install a program without going through the obvious small print and any custom add-ons enabled by default. Still I cannot remember any moment when I chose to install this 'feature'(!).

UTORRENT IS FINE. BUT IF IT COMES WITH CONDUIT through such an inconspicuous backdoor entrance, very sorrily, I am moving away from this great program at the earliest! :( :mad:

• 6 months later...

Hi.

After installing conduit without my will ( it installed a toolbar and a program - Conduit Engine, even if i hit " No, thanks " ), i have deceided to stop using Utorrent. I dont use programs that are bundled with and promote spyware. There are alot of other torrent clients out there.

Regards,

Paul.

I let utorrent update itself and now I got this piece of shit (utorrent bar and conduit search) all over firefox. I NEVER EVER APPROVED OF THIS. Have been using utorrent for over five years, NEVER AGAIN! This type of apalling arrogance from developers is exactly what gets users burned. You shuld know this.

Archived