new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

No offense, I just registered for the sole purpose of making this comment. I have been a utorrent user since it was released and this is one fugly theme/skin. I loved the minimal look of utorrent, havnt you heard "if it aint broke don't fix it!" Its terrible as a default skin! I dont care if its skinnable, the default skin shouldnt be an eye sore. Sorry for being really harsh but Im stating the truth.I found this guy tweeting it:

http://friendfeed.com/aalaap/544a9ee1/holy-shit-utorrent-2-looks-fucking-ugly

This is not even me I swear... I ran into it searching for utorrent 2.2 ugly.

And finally thanks for providing us such an amazing torrent client. I truly respect you guys and your work but I just had to voice my opinion. This can scare away potential first time users. It just looks terrible for a first time experience. IMO

I will get used to it but you will lose market share(not sure if that even matters to you) using that theme as a first impression.

Good luck!

Update:

People register and vote here if you think the new default UI/iconset/status bar is UGLY and want it reverted back to pre-2.2:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/1296537-revert-back-to-the-old-2-0-skin-2-2-is-hideous-?ref=title

Let's take this up to rank no 1 and prove the devs wrong.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try the 2.0.4 skin. http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin Or even the skins app.

We've actually found that a lot of people did like the 2.2 skin. Kind of mixed feelings across the board on it, really.

Thanks for the btskin URL but it still doesn't fix the ugly item paneling -- reminds me of Visual Basic 3.

And stop lying about people liking the new 2.2 layout. I've personally asked 124 people and they all said they preferred the 2.0.4 layout over the 2.2 layout.

If you made a poll on here it would easily show 2.0.4 > 2.2

Just keeping it real.

www.digitalgangster.com

Am I the only one who likes the new UI??????

Possibly. If not, you're definitely in the minority.

The new UI is just absolutely terrible... so much contrast between the fonts and colors. Ugh, just... terrible. What happened to my uTorrent? =(

And one more thing to the admins: I don't want to use an "app" whatever that means to change skins... I want the lightweight torrent client I used to use, that just worked and looked nice out of the box.

Try the 2.0.4 skin. http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin Or even the skins app.

We've actually found that a lot of people did like the 2.2 skin. Kind of mixed feelings across the board on it, really.

Firon, I understand that there are people who like it but there are a lot of people who dont like it. There were no mixed feelings with the last theme. Why not have something that both parties liked? Well thats just my 2 cents.

Just giving you a heads up mate.

edit: thanks for that link.

There were no mixed feelings with the last theme.

You mean you mistakenly think that there were no mixed feelings. Were that the case, I wouldn't have had to write this rant (it extends several posts below too). The fact of the matter is, every time the skin is changed, users complain -- but that problem is exactly what skinning was implemented to solve.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above posters - the new UI is just butt ugly. The new icons are terrible as are the colors added to the UI. Please make it at least possible to switch to the old icon set and color scheme. For the time being I'm downgrading to an earlier version of the client.

I registered only to come here and say that the new UI is horrendous!

What is that?! Windows 3.11?! VB6?!

Were you in debt to some kid's mother so you had to let him design the new UI?!

Awful, awful!

Even with the another skin, colors are OFF by far.

What kind of EYE PENETRATING RED and PALE BLUE are those?!

And that VOMIT green?!

Bring back the old look, don't embarrass yourselves. :|

Where can I find the old version?

Just found it:

http://download.utorrent.com/2.0.4/utorrent.exe

What a relief.

No offense, I just registered for the sole purpose of making this comment. I have been a utorrent user since it was released and this is one fugly theme/skin. I loved the minimal look of utorrent, havnt you heard "if it aint broke don't fix it!" Its terrible as a default skin! I dont care if its skinnable, the default skin shouldnt be an eye sore. Sorry for being really harsh but Im stating the truth.I found this guy tweeting it:

http://friendfeed.com/aalaap/544a9ee1/holy-shit-utorrent-2-looks-fucking-ugly

This is not even me I swear... I ran into it searching for utorrent 2.2 ugly.

And finally thanks for providing us such an amazing torrent client. I truly respect you guys and your work but I just had to voice my opinion. This can scare away potential first time users. It just looks terrible for a first time experience. IMO

I will get used to it but you will lose market share(not sure if that even matters to you) using that theme as a first impression.

Good luck!

i do agree. this new default skin/gui is FUGLY! i for one, vote for this skin http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin to be default. i ofc know that functionality is important so updates are required but 'the looks' are just as important! just because you go from 1.8.x --> 2.x.x or 2.x.x --> 2.2.x does not mean you have to change a mighty fine icon set. even if i were to use 1.8 (or older) icon set it would be better then this new rubbish, sorry but i just cant stand it. so instead of view the change-log as the first thing after an update i had to look for the 'old look'. i still am using 1.6 toolbar...

just as XmDXtReMeK said, it not a problem to use a custom icons/gui but to have the good one set as default.

also why, i ask, WHY exe had to change the icon??!! firon you use even here (i mean https://forum.utorrent.com/images/utorrent_logo.png ) the old one. hell...it wasnt even compiled into the exe... epic facepalm.

what is wrong with each of the old icons?

i loved everything about the old look and i HATE everything about the new look and i see i am not the only one.

each time the look is changed there are tons of request to bring the old one back and only individuals saying 'i like the new one'. maybe this time it would be wise to heed all the begs to revert to previous look as a default??

the only program i know that does great with gui change is total commander.

btw i also hate all that app crap and how left panel content (labels etc) take too much space on the display... the 'find content' on the left panel is useless since there already is a search-box in the upper right corner...

i find utorrent a little lacking customization options... like i would like to move labels form under the 'Torrents' parentship to make it the way it once was, or stretch the down panel (with tabs) to take the whole screen width. i dont like how left panel wastes display space to show...whiteness.

even all those unneeded visual changes were implemented utorrent is still #1 torrent client out there :D

new skin is amazingly ugly

new icon is super bad and even if it was not bad, the changing of it is bad, frustrating experience to lost the app somewhere in tray

so good there is old skin

its great to improve ui, but not every week, once a year or two is ok, like windows, to catch new tendencies not for a purpose of just change something

long time user, first time poster, for the same reason,

there i was, downloading a nice torrent, when i was prompted to update 'oh yay' i thought with the prospect of improvements, then i was asked to install a toolbar? - asking for donations is FAR better then that, what are you thinking. then utorrent starts up again, all is going well

I didnt even get look at the UI for 10 seconds before i hit this forum trying to find out how many people hate it

if you must have this skin at least give me an option for the old one, not the mention this 'find content'? how long has that been there? if its been there for ages it used to be small enough not to annoy me, but its there sticking into my eyes now, dont like it at all

new apps? only app i need is utorrent, at last try and make it so these features arn't getting in the way of what is useful.

that 2.0.4 skin is ok, however it doesnt change the progress bar 'done' bar, its green? and red? bah the old one was much better, the people using this program arnt stupid. a lot of us can look over huge amounts of plain information without the need for annoying colours.

Maybe if there is a more improved 2.0.4 skin that actually does it back completely.

On a posetive note, i have always liked utorrent for its minimalist form, its clean, and 'professional'. it has all the features i need/want, and its a rock solid program, if i wanted a colourful ui id go and use some other bloatware, dont underestimate the impotence of the appearance of an application! i hope we can get this resolved? and everyone happy :lol:

that 2.0.4 skin is ok, however it doesnt change the progress bar 'done' bar, its green? and red? bah the old one was much better, the people using this program arnt stupid. a lot of us can look over huge amounts of plain information without the need for annoying colours.

That's what gui.color_progress_bars is for.

You make it sound like the devs just arbitrarily implemented it and forced it on users, when in fact this feature was requested by these users you're now (by extension) calling stupid for wanting it. People have their own ideas of what's aesthetically pleasing, or what's "useful", so just because you find it "stupid" doesn't mean you speak on behalf of all users -- not when you have no idea what the history or rationale was behind the feature.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You really just can't win with users.

You are telling us, your fan base chose this hideous skin over the old one? I dont think so... The people active on the forums are less than 1% of your user base. Either way, it was a good tactic. You guys are going to get many people to register on your forums, to comment on this terrible skin.

Yup, just like the tactic last time was to also screw the skin up, get people to register and complain, only to come back and defend it now that it's gone. Just like the tactic last time was to change the skin to some horrendous one that no one (at the time) wanted, and yet people are saying looked good now (not just "better" than the new skin).

Look, I'm not defending the new skin here -- I don't even like it myself. The point, though, is that in most cases, the vocal minority will try to push their agenda and try to make themselves look like the silent majority. So you don't like it -- alright, but the flip side is that there are others who do like it.

People have their own ideas of what's aesthetically pleasing

There is no absolute beauty. The skin is customizable -- even revertible -- for a reason.

Archived