new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

that 2.0.4 skin is ok' date=' however it doesnt change the progress bar 'done' bar, its green? and red? bah the old one was much better, the people using this program arnt stupid. a lot of us can look over huge amounts of plain information without the need for annoying colours.[/quote']

That's what gui.color_progress_bars is for.

You make it sound like the devs just arbitrarily implemented it and forced it on users, when in fact this feature was requested by these users you're now (by extension) calling stupid for wanting it. People have their own ideas of what's aesthetically pleasing, or what's "useful", so just because you find it "stupid" doesn't mean you speak on behalf of all users -- not when you have no idea what the history or rationale was behind the feature.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You really just can't win with users.

Why don't you guys buy a book, for example, this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Common-Sense-Approach-Usability/dp/0789723107

Read it, learn it and you will know why the new UI sucks big time.

Since when you ask your users what color to use?! Who does that?!

I'll tell you who, the one that has no idea what a good UI is ;)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when did I say that we asked users what color to use? Who thinks that? I'll tell you who: smart alecks who put words in other people's mouths.

Once again:

People have their own ideas of what's aesthetically pleasing, or what's "useful", so just because you find it "stupid" doesn't mean you speak on behalf of all users -- not when you have no idea what the history or rationale was behind the feature.

Obviously, you don't see the rationale behind the feature, so let me lay it out as simply for you as possible: coloring the progress bar and combining the Done and Status column reduces the amount of distance the eyes have to travel for the user to get information on the status of the torrent job.

Since when did I say that we asked users what color to use? Who thinks that? I'll tell you who: smart alecks who put words in other people's mouths.

Here you go:

"....a lot of us can look over huge amounts of plain information without the need for annoying colours."

"That's what gui.color_progress_bars is for.

You make it sound like the devs just arbitrarily implemented it and forced it on users, when in fact this feature was requested by these users you're now (by extension) calling stupid for wanting it."

"....a lot of us can look over huge amounts of plain information without the need for annoying colours."

Okay' date=' and you're not everyone. Some users can extract information more efficiently this way. Your point? This is like arguing which type of fruit is better.[/quote']

How many books on UI design have you read?

Did any of those support the idea behind the annoying colors, inconsistent icons and so much badly used free UI space?

None. Thankfully I'm not the one who makes the decisions, huh?

At any rate, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here; I'm not trying to defend the UI changes. In fact, I've made my share of complaints already, and I don't disagree with everything said here. My point was to refute the idea that the many changes were made without reason (which telling us that "users aren't stupid" implies).

:rolleyes:

I also was inspired to register just to comment on the new ugly gaudy icons & arrows in the UI. As was mentioned, wasn't broke, why "fix" it. It looks cartoonish whereas before it looked professional. Someone said something about trying a skin?? That's not why i use this program. I really don't wanna have to even mess with a "skin" for it. It looked real good the way it was. Please change it back or allow the option to go back to the old look. Please don't start making utorrent into some kind of bloatware either. Please?

Thanks c0

Edit, oh Geez, I just noticed the new Icon in my tray, NooOOOO! :(

Ew to the UI, more importantly if you expand something in category view and the margins are close to the text, and the expansion causes scroll bars, collapsing an item doesn't get rid of the damn scroll bars. Also I hate how things are even tree'd like that, waste a space, don't need it in my case (screw the other cases! :P).

ok, to fix UI 'back to the old one' mostly:

Download and install this: (just double click)

http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin

Then:

Options>Preferences>Advanced (not the + just the word)> and scroll down to

gui.color_progress_bars

Set this to false

and thats about it, its not perfect, but its close :)

Thank you

I'm going to bookmark this for when my favourite trackers decide to blacklist everything but the latest version and I'm forced to use this hideous abomination.

@devs: why do you hate my eyes?

I largely agree that the new UI has some major issues. For instance, the very first thing I do when I install utorrent is disable the search bar, now it is taking up a whole page, totally unacceptable. Moreover, one of the features that I admired in v1.6.1 was the rss feed and I have seen it progressively turn useless, I don't even use the rss downloader anymore. Now to the core issue, Apps, my first reaction: WTF; I seriously want an option to opt out of the Search and Apps features because they are unnecessary and make utorrent look like a boltware because the UI is not consistent with rest of the program. I can see the thinking behind introducing these features to utorrent and the issues that they would have solved (if they were implemented correctly). But at this point it seems best to ditch these ideas and take the minimalist direction, the main reason utorrent became and currently is the number one bittorrent client. I think apps and search are two features that most users would happily live without, even the ones that lobbied hard to get these features(myself included) aren't too happy with the current iteration of these features. The quicker we deal with the core issues with the UI, the faster we can move on to unusable features like rss downloader, as oppose to piling on top of the initial mistake, remember the first mistake isn't as bad as the mistakes that add up to become a big problem.

Okay' date=' and you're not everyone. Some users can extract information more efficiently this way. Your point? This is like arguing which type of fruit is better.[/quote']

I agree that color bars alone don't make for an ugly interface. However if you think the new icons (arrows etc) are OK from a design point of view, you're delusional.

Developers outright blaming users for awful user interface decisions? Suggestions to modify obscure cvars and copy files to deeply nested paths instead of implementing this in a Preferences screen like any team focused on usability would recommend? With this attitude maybe you guys should go open-source as you're approximating typical FOSS behavior pretty well. Are you going to ask users to run a few dozen terminal commands next version to avoid installing the UTORRENT USEARCH UTOOLBAR?

You can use the skins app to skin it back. Or just load the btskin, which requires you to just open it.

:) Why did you make a bad UI to begin with?

What is skins app?

What is btskin?

As a regular, non-developer user, I have no idea what you are talking about and I've been using uTorrent for years.

Also had to register here to say just how much i hate the new UI, Icons, Logos, everything.

WHY WHY WHY??????

Why did you have to ruin everything??

APPS?? A P P S ? ? ?

Who the hell wants "APPS" on their torrent client??

If I want "APPS" ill get an iphone!!

Unbelievable. A pain to look at, and getting bloated.

I will be removing this program, and degrading to the old version.

I will also be checking out other bittorrent clients for the first time in 4 years.

Unbelievable!!

LOL I just had to share this quote from another forum who hates the new UI

"Just give me a minimalist torrent utility that just fucking works for fuck's sake! Slap the eye candy & toys onto some other client and let all the iKiddies fap off to that." .

Source: http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=27233.msg4548467#msg4548467

I am warning utorrent devs, people flocked to this client initially for its light usage and minimalistic look. You guys are murdering utorrent's original philosophy with your own hands.

I will wait for the next version because I am a loyal fan but if things don't change I am switching to some other client or switch back to 1.8.5(even though it has an exploit) and disable the update forever.

Ultima: This thread has gotten 2,350+ views in just a matter of few days, I beg to differ. It's just a matter of time that you realize that the majority of people hate the default skin. People who are reading this post, I urge you to register and voice out your concern.

Edit: I actually ended up reverting back to utorrent 1.8.5. Much faster and less bloated imo....

You can use the skins app to skin it back. Or just load the btskin' date=' which requires you to just open it.[/quote']

:) Why did you make a bad UI to begin with?

What is skins app?

What is btskin?

As a regular, non-developer user, I have no idea what you are talking about and I've been using uTorrent for years.

no idea what application is used to "skin it back".

btskin is a small bit torrent skin file, it basically is just a archive with a set of bmps, icos (and one none extension file with some color settings.

thing is that you can change btskin extesion to rar and repack it the way you like but remembering that filenames need to be the same. so it is not much of a problem to download skin 'parts' from here and compile your own btskin file. to apply it just double click.

you could use this skin: http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.2.0.4-v2.btskin

to have template and just swap what you feel like...

i am not defending the new crappy look but explaining how to do something for the time being :D

People register and vote here if you think the new default UI/iconset/status bar is UGLY and want it reverted back to pre-2.2:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/1296537-revert-back-to-the-old-2-0-skin-2-2-is-hideous-?ref=title

Let's take this up to rank no 1 and prove the devs wrong.

just registered today after using utorrent for years,

please put the UI back to how it was before, this new one with apps and crap is giving me creepy feeling that utorrent will turn into what Azerus became. Azerus was great and looked awesome, but then it starting changing around the UI adding all sorta crap, bloat, spam, download links, ads, and VUZE crap and I instantly uninstalled it as well as people I knew and we started using utorrent.

Stick to your roots what makes utorrent the best and put it back to normal, and get rid of this apps and search crap, I dont use search inside a torrent program that more than likely calls on internet explorer api to do its web stuff. I use firefox on my torrent site of choice.

so if at all possible reduce the file size and footprint and remove this bloat from apps links and give us the option to put the UI back to normal in preferences.

that way people that like the UI can go into preferences and choose new skin or if you like the old go into UI and choose original skin

Hell even Winamp gives you option of using their original 90's skin or their new skin, or install a 3rd party skin if you want.

thanks

Archived