new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

just registered today after using utorrent for years,

please put the UI back to how it was before, this new one with apps and crap is giving me creepy feeling that utorrent will turn into what Azerus became. Azerus was great and looked awesome, but then it starting changing around the UI adding all sorta crap, bloat, spam, download links, ads, and VUZE crap and I instantly uninstalled it as well as people I knew and we started using utorrent.

Stick to your roots what makes utorrent the best and put it back to normal, and get rid of this apps and search crap, I dont use search inside a torrent program that more than likely calls on internet explorer api to do its web stuff. I use firefox on my torrent site of choice.

so if at all possible reduce the file size and footprint and remove this bloat from apps links and give us the option to put the UI back to normal in preferences.

that way people that like the UI can go into preferences and choose new skin or if you like the old go into UI and choose original skin

Hell even Winamp gives you option of using their original 90's skin or their new skin, or install a 3rd party skin if you want.

thanks

Please take your time and vote here as well if you want change: http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/1296537-revert-back-to-the-old-2-0-skin-2-2-is-hideous-?ref=title

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ultima: This thread has gotten 2,350+ views in just a matter of few days, I beg to differ. It's just a matter of time that you realize that the majority of people hate the default skin.

Which point of mine are you disagreeing with? (I'm not being deliberately obtuse here; I've said various things in this thread, and I'm just not sure which you are referring to when you tell me you beg to differ)

As I already stated, I don't like the theme either, but (again) as I already previously stated, I don't make the decisions -- else this would never have passed to begin with. Whatever I've said in this thread has been an attempt (1) to drive home the fact that most of the changes are revertible, and (2) to clarify/contextualize various points made. I am not simply giving the complaints the hand.

"The point, though, is that in most cases, the vocal minority will try to push their agenda and try to make themselves look like the silent majority. So you don't like it -- alright, but the flip side is that there are others who do like it."

I might have misunderstood the post tho... if you aren't considering us the vocal minority...

I reserve judgment. I was simply making a generalization.

I don't know why I feel so passionate about this. I've been using utorrent since 1.6 thats almost 4-5 years ago...and its just bothering me the direction the devs are taking right now. I know its revertible and I can live with that but I know it wont leave a good first impression on users who download it for the first time for sure now... but I guess Ill just have to wait and see what they have in store for the future. If it was a new client for me and I installed it I would instantly uninstall it.

I don't blame you in the least; I don't fault users for caring enough to voice their opinions. People that I have talked to personally (including some of the devs) know full well that if anyone gets passionate about UI and usability, it's me. I break out tirades about questionable/terrible UI decisions, and sometimes the devs listen and take my feedback into account, while other times they just push forward with what they have. I let them have a piece of my mind on the skin change when it was first introduced a long time ago, but the skin was kept. I suppose I didn't really push too hard on this point, since µTorrent is skinnable for a reason, but oh well. There's often nothing I can do about it when my suggestions aren't applied, which is why I usually try looking for a middleground -- a way forward with what already exists (the like workarounds already mentioned to get most of the old UI back).

Indeed, there will be some users just won't compromise or settle for a middleground. I don't know what to say to that really.

Ok so this whole topic is getting a little long, so I didn't take the time to read pages 2-3. Please don't be offended if I repeat something.

People, seriously, It's a skin, If you don't like it. Then change it. That's what it's there for.

That said, I think this new version is near perfect with my current needs. It's simple enough, shockingly clear, draws attention to exactly what I use and nothing more. You designers should be proud of this work. (I'm pretty sure a large quantity of the complaining voices are just trolling/repeating what they heard someone else say cause they don't want to take the time to honestly consider what they're looking at.)

Complaints about not being able to revert from the new look do not compute...

You can skin everything back and also remove the panels, a feature most of the posts seem to miss.

ut171.png

ut204.png

2.2 Default skin

ut22.png

2.2 App store to revert to old icons

ut22appstore.png

2.2 Options to revert to old UI

ut22options.png

2.2 Skinned to 2.0.4

ut22to204.png

2.0.4 Again

ut204.png

NOT that hard.

BTW devs, I would like to see these options in future releases:

Indent Category List

--in order to remove the down-down indented categories

Compact Labels

--in order to bring labels into their own pane like in 2.0

I just want to post to register my concern over the new changes.

Being asked if I want to make utorrent search my homepage?

Install a utorrent search bar in my browser?

Apps??

And SOLID RED??

I wouldn't be surprised if the next version came with a "Sponsored by AOL" logo in the corner.

utorrent used to be beautiful in its simplicity, now you're ruining all that as though you need to be seen to be doing something.

You can skin everything back and also remove the panels, a feature most of the posts seem to miss.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/949/ut171.png

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4787/ut204.png

2.2 Default skin

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5598/ut22.png

2.2 App store to revert to old icons

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/103/ut22appstore.png

2.2 Options to revert to old UI

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/427/ut22options.png

2.2 Skinned to 2.0.4

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3007/ut22to204.png

2.0.4 Again

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4787/ut204.png

NOT that hard.

BTW devs, I would like to see these options in future releases:

Indent Category List

--in order to remove the down-down indented categories

Compact Labels

--in order to bring labels into their own pane like in 2.0

Why yes, the decent UI is only, what, 20 CLICKS away?

Jesus...

They shut my idea down and deleted it, way to go devs... that is BS. Im done with utorrent.

You didnt even give it a chance.

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/1296537-revert-back-to-the-old-2-0-skin-2-2-is-hideous-?ref=title

Response:

(No Status) → Declined

use the skin.

DreadWingKnight

Admin, µTorrent

<snip>

You're the one missing the point. A lot of us Do Not want to hassle with or be bothered with having to revert back to the old look.

Couple of other points on some of the additions..

Here I had a professional looking program that does *exactly* what I need it to do. Upload & Download torrents, & does it well. That's all I need or want it to do.

I have no need of nor will I ever search for torrents through this program so that feature is worthless to me. Apps? uTorrent IS the app. I have No Need for these "apps" within the app. Skins? This is one app that I don't care to mess with skins. I look at it once in awhile to see what my torrents are doing & I do not need it to look pretty or cool. But I didn't need it to be ugly as sin either...

You had your chance to complain about the UI while 2.2 was in beta. Time's up. Skins > you.

That's just dripping with snobbery. Makes me wanna puke. Sooo many of us never even came to these forums before because we had no need to. Previous updates didn't butcher the UI & cram a bunch of stuff into the program like now. Had we known what crap you were gonna spring on us, we might've been here bitching about it in beta.

I too have registered to say that the new version looks awful. The sideways u icon sums it up - it's gimmicky and silly.

What worries me is, if the people currently working on utorrent thought this was a good idea, what else has been introduced behind the scenes that's just not sensible?

I'm going back to v2.0.4 for the time being.

You had your chance to complain about the UI while 2.2 was in beta. Time's up.

Skins > you.

not all of us tried beta for various reasons...

for me it was:

1) tracker limitation to non-beta clients

2) trust in devs who in general did a good job... well till now :/

I'm with c0AX, wise words mate.

I am adding to the list of people who registered here just to say that I am absolutely disgusted by the new UI. I didn't even know about uTorrent forums before I went looking for somewhere to express my vomiting. I'd like to know what you all thought you were doing... Yes I see that there are now "skins" and a buttload more options, which means I have to pick through the minute details one by one all over again and re-order all my columns because for some reason this update felt the need to destroy everything. It is a very strong slap in the face for any established user, and I can't imagine any new users picking this as it is now over one of the alternatives. I initially switched to uTorrent for the lightweight simplicity, but that has been shot to hell. Thanks for nothing, jerkwads.

Thanks for comments how to revert to the old look, it was very helpful!

I started hating the new apperarence of the program as soon as upgrated it.

The colors are AWFUL!!!

You know, I am a kind of a developer too. When I studied at my university, one teacher of ours rejected to take our works if they had bad-colored interface. We than thought, it's unfair, because program worked well. But since that moment I've always been thinking about UI of my works .Only now I realize how hellpful this was.

I wish the developers of this program had such a teacher too.

Maybe it's a special trick to get attention to this website. But it is a lousy way of doing it. Lots of people use this program and I didn't have any complaint about it for a long time up until now. It's a pitty thay don't understand how bad this is.

They say, go get an old skin. But why should I go an find a skin? Why a bad-colored interface should be by default, and the appropriate one could be get only by installing an additional skin? That's bullshit.

I already got my old appearence back. Why am I writing this? Just to let know those who are in charge, that getting a skin, it is a bad solution, which could only be used as a workaround. The old UI should be turned back. Let the new one be a skin that can be downloaded separetaly for those who'd like it ;)

If it was a new client for me and I installed it I would instantly uninstall it.

Totally agree.

They should thank God that they have us to open their eyes. Us, who already used this program for a while and can hardly refuse from doing it. Us who will find some time and go and find all those needed changes (skins and settings) and also post a comment on a forum with a warning message to creators.

New users will never do it. They will just uninstall it instantly. You are just making a bad advertise for yourself.

And making your current users suffer :(

Archived