new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That means that 96.8% DOES NOT LIKE the new UI, but you are telling us that quite a few people like the new UI and that you are getting mixed feelings???

No. That means that 96.8% of the people that have posted in the thread don't like it. It doesn't take into consideration the people that don't post.

Fine. How about we do a poll on this matter and if more than 85% find the new UI ugly you revert the changes?

That means that 96.8% DOES NOT LIKE the new UI, but you are telling us that quite a few people like the new UI and that you are getting mixed feelings???

No. That means that 96.8% of the people that have posted in the thread don't like it. It doesn't take into consideration the people that don't post.

Your arrogant attitude didnt let the idea to get voted on and deleted it, why hide the truth? You didn't even give the idea a chance to see how many people would vote on it. People just move to utorrent 1.8.5 its the best and fastest version. Something must be really wrong when you don't even listen to your own community Admins Ultima for that matter.

Utorrent is dead to me, get ready for waves of bloated crap in shitorrent 3.

Hi, another registered today after the update.

I have two points:

1. I am one of the many that Googled " hate utorrent's new look" and found this thread. You can put me firmly in that category. I have been using utorrent exclusively for 4 years or more, and have never previously found the interface to be objectionable.

2. I read in this thread how to revert using the skins app. It was described as "simple", and yet, we may run into a number of stumbling blocks preventing this "simple" task from going smoothly. Even with the picture by picture how to posted in this thread, (much appreciated, but you will see it dies not solve the issue for many) I have not come close to being able to complete this task.

Here are the hurdles I have run into thus far;

A: My settings from the first time I installed the app 4 years ago (Or whenever the sidebar was added) had hidden the sidebar. This is good, I hate the sidebar, but it took some time to find it again. It was far from intuitive to get it by putting a check next to "Category List"

B: I have the "Apps" icon in the sidebar, but no "Skins" icon underneath it as illustrated in the tutorial on this thread.

C: When I click on "Apps" I get a field to the right with 17 apps, none of which mention skins.

D: I managed to find utorrent skins here;

http://www.utorrent.com/skins

... but I can not find out how to install them, or find install the app that is listed in the tutorial.

D: Nor can I find the default 2.2 skin using the search function on that same skins page. There appear to be hundreds of skins, does one need to browse through them all to find it?

I hope that the developers would consider,. a quick update to replace the new distasteful default ui without forcing it's users to jump through so many hoops to remove it's vile and ugly nature.

I would like to see a complete step by step tutorial that does not assume that users already have installed or are familiar with the skinning ap.

thank you for your consideration.

These new icons are propably some stupid BT policy or what... Also original BT client has similar icons. New simplified application icon is really ugly on Windows 7 taskbar. Also toolbar icons are lame. If they wanted to simplify the UI, they should look at Windows 7 explorer without icons which is clean, simple, yet very nice and leave the main application icon alone. Version 2.0.4 was pretier.

No offense, I just registered for the sole purpose of making this comment. I have been a utorrent user since it was released and this is one fugly theme/skin. I loved the minimal look of utorrent, havnt you heard "if it aint broke don't fix it!" Its terrible as a default skin! I dont care if its skinnable, the default skin shouldnt be an eye sore. Sorry for being really harsh but Im stating the truth.I found this guy tweeting it:

http://friendfeed.com/aalaap/544a9ee1/holy-shit-utorrent-2-looks-fucking-ugly

This is not even me I swear... I ran into it searching for utorrent 2.2 ugly.

And finally thanks for providing us such an amazing torrent client. I truly respect you guys and your work but I just had to voice my opinion. This can scare away potential first time users. It just looks terrible for a first time experience. IMO

I will get used to it but you will lose market share(not sure if that even matters to you) using that theme as a first impression.

Good luck!

Update:

People register and vote here if you think the new default UI/iconset/status bar is UGLY and want it reverted back to pre-2.2:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows/suggestions/1296537-revert-back-to-the-old-2-0-skin-2-2-is-hideous-?ref=title

Let's take this up to rank no 1 and prove the devs wrong.

ur right xMD i also like the old utorrent logo

I'm an experienced ui/ux designer and must agree with people above.

I totally understand that uTorrent is a perfect piece of software since years and there's not much room for improvement but please, give us back the old design, because this one is just TERRIBLE.

And the best prove is Help > About window. Is that a joke? :/

I've read this entire thread, and decided to register to post.

I am extremely disappointed in some of the responses by the administrators (or whatever their positions are). For example:

You had your chance to complain about the UI while 2.2 was in beta. Time's up.

Skins > you.

I won't even comment about that, because...Please.

Either way, I went ahead and decided to use the .btskin with the 2.0.4 skin. Yeah, now my 2.2 looks a bit more like the old 2.0.4, but I will always remember the fact that the uTorrent dev team felt the need to include a pane for Apps.

What I'm trying to say is that even if I've skinned my uTorrent 2.2 to look a little less bloated, I will still associate uTorrent with bloatware and frivolous, iPhone-wannabe "features" such as an App pane.

What's even more disappointing is that the adminstrators/devs/whatever feel that it's fine to brush off complaints from loyal users. The people complaining about the changes to uTorrent's UI style are people who feel some kind of affinity for the program. Otherwise, they wouldn't be complaining---they would just switch to another torrent client.

I'm not saying I would make a better administrator than any of uTorrent's, but if it were up to me, I would at least say something like: "Your concerns are being heard and will forwarded to the dev team for further consideration", rather than just springing a new release with a horrible re-design.

And just because it was in a beta version doesn't mean it's not a new release. If I had tried out the 2.2 beta and saw the disgusting re-design of the GUI, I probably would have thought to myself: "What the hell? There's no way this design will get past the beta anyway", and wouldn't have made any noise about it.

Also, please get a real graphics designer to do the icons (status icons and bar icons) for future releases. The default 2.2 icons are horrendous.

It's not the icons that bug me so much (because as pointed out, that can be modified with a theme), it is the colors that are bothering me. If something is properly seeding, it is blue. If it is stopped or paused, it is green. What was the logic behind that?

EDIT: Just saw how to disable colors. Thank you. Comment still stands however: why use colors if they do not represent the current status of the torrent in an intuitive way?

Yes, the default skin is ugly and requiring users to use an app to change it is a bad idea.

The concept of apps in utorrent combined with the bad UI decisions were not enough to drive me away from using the latest beta, because I think it is fun testing new software and nothing so far has really impacted my "user experience". However yesterday I stumbled on a bug which prevents me from changing the download location (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=92524) for torrents, which has been around for all of 2.2 (am I right? not sure) and this drove me away. Before implementing a radical design / UI shift, bugs like this should be taken care of. If you add bloat while breaking function, people will get frustrated and move on to other software, or revert to an older version.

I went back to 2.0.4, which is as solid as Midwest ground in Winter. Great UI, no apps to clutter, no installer requesting to install toolbars or change your search engine, and no "set download location" bug.

uTorrent was once an indispensable piece of code, but it is getting heavy and buggy. Come on devs, uTorrent should stay simple like it was or you'll lose a large demographic. If indeed these changes are inevitable, why not fork it, keeping the bloat as the official release and starting a "uTorrent lite" variant that ditches the apps and skins and runs as well as uTorrent used to?

Anyway, thanks for putting together the program and releasing it for free all these years. That is a great thing to do. I really like uTorrent and the design philosophy I saw behind it at one time. I urge you to keep it simple.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another one who already hate new style. Who even can draw that, some coder? Come on guys.. it like back in 80s fills with one color, sharp edges, square forms, don't you see it? It's ugly theme!

And why the hell do we need search this thread, post this, then search another for old theme, download it.

85% people out there thinks exactly the same.

reg. only for post these, bye

• 2 weeks later...

Another longtime utorrent user (4 years or more) who's decided to register solely to protest the absolute hideous UI in 2.2. It's like uTorrent for Wii, and has absolutely nothing good going for it.

I can't believe that you guys went ahead and ruined a UI that worked so well. My issues are:

1) Terrible choice of colors and extreme contrast in the UI

2) Labels were ruined thanks to the terrible decision to make it a tree style tab thus wasting valuable real estate and making you have to give the sidebar more space (which nobody wants to do)

3) Circular logo looks absolutely terrible, especially on the Windows 7 Taskbar

I'm strongly contemplating upgrading back to 2.0.4. The skins app is hardly a solution and still doesn't fix issues like the tree-style display in the sidebar and the taskbar logo.

Perhaps more disappointing than all of this is the actual nature of responses I've seen from the "higher ups" with regards to this. In the mean time - Anyone have recommendations for non-bloated torrent clients that I can look into as a replacement? I never thought this day would come, but the ugly UI plus all this bloated "Apps" nonsense has really turned me off. I think the makers of utorrent are forgetting what made it so popular in the first place.

A little precursor. This is a free project none of you pay a cent for the utorrent client. No one is forcing you to use it and you can fuck off at any point.

Ha. I love how everyone reams on the new theme, its hilarious. Not only is the new theme better IMO but it is fully customizable to make it look exactly like an older version. I assume the admins/mods here chose not to tell idiots like mauzel that you can fully get rid of the APP window and make utorrent litterally look exactly the same as previous versions. I'm sure the admins failed to mention that fact due to the fact that they don't want him to have an enjoyable experience. The only reason I am saying it now is because I doubt he will look at this page again.

• 4 weeks later...

I registered just to mention how horrendously ugly the newest GUI is. Not only is it aesthetically disgusting, it hurts the functionality of the program. I know you can re-skin it, but why should you have too? If you are concerned about what is best for your application, developers, and not just what you find the most appealing, you will revert the changes you made to the GUI.

The GUI distracts the user, and adds nothing but redundant features that take up space. This is the first time any patch of your has ever disappointed me, congratulations.

I will no longer donate to your application until i see the mistakes corrected. I am a regular patron, but will not be until the above condition is met.

Thanks for your time.

I've used uTorrent for perhaps a couple years. I've seen it evolve several bits at a time.

uTorrent is very lightweight, and I was very happy when I found that uTorrent v2 would run well under Linux WINE (Windows emulator). Previously, my netbook was stuck with very few Torrent client choices, as it runs Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

The new uTorrent v2.2 doesn't work, however, for Linux WINE (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS). The only solution I could find was to remove the v2.2, and use v2.04.

The GUI? I usually don't care about GUI. To be honest I originally registered...because I don't like the new uTorrent GUI change nor icons. Then I found the incompatibility with Linux WINE. If I had not used uTorrent for a couple years, I'd have dropped it. But I feel the uTorrent team has a commitment to making a useful ap, and that you guys do try to make it both useful and aesthetically pleasing to most users. In that light, I offer the following suggestions:

a) revert to the v2.04 icons and GUI as default, with downloadable skins for users wanting them - watch your download counter to check popularity before making changes to default icons.

B) revert to the v2.04 GUI by default, with optional user selectable additional tree structure, etc., if that's the uTorrent president's personal favorite feature.

c) don't release a version of uTorrent that 'breaks' it for use with Linux WINE under the latest version of Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support). Ubuntu has the largest following of any Linux O/s, is freeware available to everyone, and is a direct replacement for MS Windows, including a free Office suite! WINE for Linux is freeware as well, and allow running a variety of Windows applications under Linux. It's easy to make an ap NOT work under WINE, but v2.04 did work very well. Figure out what broke it when changing to v2.2, and revert - make it work for WINE.

Archived