new UI is UGLY!

XmDXtReMeK

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, at the risk of being shot, I don't have a problem with it.:P

That is 2 of us that will be shot.

It's not pretty, but then I download my torrent, start it, stop it when it's seeded to a 1.x to 1 ratio, then close the app after moving the download, and removing the torrent.

I'm not looking at the UI that long to care.

Did you try 2.2.1 yet or not?

Searching through the thread today, I see your question.

I've downloaded, and am trying the newest 2.2.1 with Wine right now, as I type.

Having essentially a 'portable' installation here, I simply copy in the EXE, set the executable permission bit, and it runs, now.

Experience was...a bit unexpected, as it began with a sort of 'grade school primer' to 'help me' search for torrents to download. I suspect (and hope) that the so-called "Find Pane" is not enabled on full install versions by default. Easy enough to disable.

The icon are still quite "artistically challenged", but I see an added switch to enable 'narrow toolbar' which was not on the 2.0.4. The category list is user selectable, on the UI, and important to me personally, as screen space is a premium (1024x600).

There is mention of a re-skinning back to 2.0.4's appearance. I don't like the default color scheme or default choice of icons, but I really don't want to go through a process to fix them back how they were, the way I liked them. I hope the writers will simply see the large number of users who don't like the choice of icons (both out-spoken and less so), and change them back to that used in 2.0.4.

I read several comments about application bloat. I see side by side that 2.2.1 increased by 70 KB vs. 2.0.4. I read the summary of 'improvements' to functionality. I am open minded to test and see whether the ap did, or didn't improve 'to me'. I don't have any use at all for the 'tree' (user selectable), so that's a waste of ap space, to me. And having to add a skin to make the ap look properly clothed would be a waste of space as well.

Version 2.2.1 is running under Linux WINE, under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I'll let it try a few downloads to test performance. I am saving my 2.0.4 EXE as a fall-back, though. (darn this new version is ... humble looking).

I assume the admins/mods here chose not to tell idiots like mauzel that you can fully get rid of the APP window and make utorrent litterally look exactly the same as previous versions. I'm sure the admins failed to mention that fact due to the fact that they don't want him to have an enjoyable experience.

You are an idiot. It's not about whether the App Pane is visible or not, because I've known that you can hide it. I also clearly state in my post that I skinned my uTorrent to look like the older versions. Man, you're really dumb.

The point is the change in philosophy evidenced by the fact that the devs felt the need to include support for Apps in a torrent client.

• 4 months later...

The changing skins helped.. copied the bmp to the doc and settings app data utorrent area

didnt see a wizard to do that.. but didnt look at the skin app which probably does that.

but even turning of gui color bar helps to turn seeders back to blue but its not perfect

why is there not gui_color_bar_seeded. gui_color_bar_DLing etc with hex color codes to

customise it the colors we like? ideally a right click on status bar and color panel to come up like most

applications have fo control button etc editing

the color in 2.2.1 are easier on eyes then v3.0 thats for sure ... bold colors best for bad eyes

pastel colours espc green sucks :)

also having to right click on columns to add in the better columns helps

seeders and peers a must! remaing and completed handy and uploaded total

beats me why they arent standard?

I turn of the category column more space on lappt screen and columns then

v3 cant rid it completely now :(

I had to downgrade to 2.2.1

if you search google utorrent 3 and bencoding error there's a bunch of us getting that and all the forum questions here have no answers to the problem.

never had that with 2.2.1 and the UI in 3.0 was sluggish for me, on an amd phenom 6 core 1100T cpu with 4 gigs kingston hyperx ram.

don't get me wrong I love utorrent, but hoping they go back to the 2.2 style client which was what the website advertised as ultra fast, small, lightweight.

going from 2.2.1 to 3.0 feels like when Azureus added that Vuze stuff. Azureus used to be tops, lightweight and super fast, but when Vuze got added it became a huge bloated, spamware behemoth that begged you to install toolbars and junk

ah, at least we have the good ol' days :)

I just registered to say that you are doing a great at f*cking up a nice program. I went back to an older version with no forced malware downloads cause your forced download crap really screwed up my Foxfire browser addons, so thanks a lot for that, too. I'll being looking another torrent client. Please stop trying so hard to kill this great program.

• 5 months later...

Just registered to express my utter disappointment of the new GUI. It is simply awful and as so many other users I refuse to use it and will never again suggest your program as a torrent client until you reverse this nonsense. You must be mad to not take notice of so many complaints.

Columns - Completed on & Added on:

Why simplify the date? What was the benefit to dumbing the date down? was it change for changes sake?

Just leave the damn date not some pseudo-clever calculated "roughly somewhen then" pointless words.

Gone back to 2.2.1, tempted to go back to 1.8, infact, tempted to look elsewhere if this is the direction you are heading in.

uTorrent was liked (if I'm not mistaken) because it wasn't bloatware. It was small, fast and it just worked. What was so wrong with that ideal?

Laters

Edit: Hindsight and all.. Probably a bit harsh. However feelings about date columns still not changed :D

I hope the devs are taking note of all the negative criticism about 3.0. Literally every torrent I download regardless of the source or content, has more 2.x users than 3.0. When I first "upgraded" I couldn't believe the info that was presented onscreen by default. Health bars instead of seeder count? I don't care if you can change it, it's just insulting, like you expect the average utorrent user to be stupid. A turn in the wrong direction... I mean if people wanted all that extra fluff they would've never used utorrent to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I love utorrent - switched to it WAY back whan Bit Tornado was still around - but if a client comes along that does what 2.x does and has new features which actually help with downloading and anonymity, instead of useless little apps, I'll have to switch.

Columns - Completed on & Added on:

Why simplify the date? What was the benefit to dumbing the date down? was it change for changes sake?

Edit: Hindsight and all.. Probably a bit harsh. However feelings about date columns still not changed :D

Preferences > Advanced > gui.use_fuzzy_dates = false.

If anyone else has issues setting the new utorrent up, took me a while to figure out I had to right click on one of the tabs and then unselect useless junk, like health, playback and whatnot. Then you just have to re-enable "DATE" and then do the gui.use_fuzzy_dates = false thing.

I appreciate continued development of a torrent client, but GUI wise I think this is going in the wrong direction.

ive never herd so many people complaining about a gui in my life..you make it sound like its your furniture and it clashes with your fcken curtains....do you guys stare at your utorrent gui all night...who cares..

now if they were taking away things like showing ratio,eta then id be pissed..but to go as far as asking 124 users what they think about the new gui...well that fcked up man.

i look at the riches this interface has given me and have never taken that for granted.thats the most important thing about this gui..what it has given you..would you rather have a pretty gui and a un-stable version?..im just happy to have it...remember..as much as youd like to act like you paid for this...it was free..i think this is what happens when you reap the riches for so long..you start to look at other free things as something that should be personaly customized...all i know is it does what i ask it to do..am good with that...if i offended some you im sorry,i didnt mean to..seriously..i didnt.i can see how pasionate some of you are about the look..im just pasionate about how it doesnt affect my work.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just registered to complain about the new UI. Like a few other posters i searched google on "hate the new utorrent UI". Haven't done this before, so I suppose that makes this new UI one of the worst i've ever seen.

Will definitely be changing torrent client if a classic option isn't put in or a roll back isn't put through.

Enjoyed utorrent up until now.

For those that hate it, don't let the door hit you in the a-- on the way out. Learn to deal with it or move on. GUI's always change - not to everyone's liking, but it will change over time never the less. - Don't like it, find one you like and stick with it. Lots of luck on it not changing - unless it is a dead product.

Some of you guys post a new message every day of how much you hate it. Enough already, You have made your point - and no one cares enough to change the GUI back to what ever makes you happy.

Archived