Speed problems related to 2.2 release

wb66

I tried the newest 2.2 release and found it operationally inferior to the 2.0 versions. With the new version, I maxed out at less than 100kbs, and no DHT connections were allowed. The entire time the red 'connection warning' was displayed. I aborted the job in progress about halfway through, and reinstalled 2.03 to another drive. I copied all my DAT and OLD settings to the 2.03 folder, and I continued my job with the older version. Within a few minutes, I was connected to 320 DHTs and getting speeds averaging ~750kbs.

I'm a die-hard XP user, and it's been my experience that many programs are broken for XP by attempts to optimize them for Windows 7 (and to a much lesser degree, Vista). As I write this, XP is the most widely deployed OS in the world, a point I wish more software authors would keep in mind.

I found complaints about the new UI in other areas of the Forum. I fully concur with the posters. The old UI was cool. The new one looks like something a 5 year old would see in a learn to spell game.

Please guys, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I had seen these 4 links before my original post, and had spent quite a while testing 2.2 in the suggested ways. I even went so far as configuring my firewall (Norton ISS 2011) to allow 2.2 to communicate in both directions using any protocol. I was never able to make a DHT connection, and I believe that is the main reason the performance suffered. I use Peerblock and a torrent proxy.

I've considered the possibility that 2.2 is trying to connect to some address that PeerBlock rejects. It's blocks are so numerous and frequent that identifying any such address would be impossible. Neither PeerBlock nor the proxy has ever been a problem with the 1.x and 2.0x versions. In any event, I won't run uTorrent without them. The speeds I quoted for 2.03 were with both running.

I didn't bother with any port forwarding, as I have have downloaded at my bandwidth ceiling (and occasionally above) without doing this.

What would have been of great help is version update notes. Without knowing what benefits a newer version offers (and the new UI certainly isn't one of them), it's hard to spend the time above and beyond what I already spent trying to make something work.

Just for the heck of it, I tried some suggested settings with 2.03. They don't work as well as ones I determined through much trial and error. Mine, such as maximum number of connected peers, is considerably higher than [your] suggestions. I really would have liked to send you screen shots of my preferred settings, but that would require my running uTorrent without my safety nets. If you want these, let me know. I can probably oblige after the Holidays.

Finally, somewhere on the Forum, I found a stern warning not to increase Microsoft's default limit on half-open connections (TcpMaxHalfOpen - in Registry). Hogwash! By increasing the default to 50, I got improved connectivity across the board. The default limit was only intended to slow the spread of worms.

"I even went so far as configuring my firewall (Norton ISS 2011) to allow 2.2 to communicate in both directions using any protocol."

Norton may still be inadvertently blocking...check its logs.

"I use Peerblock and a torrent proxy."

Just in another post today, someone was having severe problems that were solved by removing Peerblock.

uTorrent can block ip addresses as well, using ipfilter.dat ...so using that in conjunction with your proxy should be little different, if you're willing to test that way.

You're FIREWALLED by the proxy and/or not port forwarding, so of course you can only get outgoing connections. This means in your case raising half open connections may help...maybe even a whole lot if the torrents you're on are full of dead ips!

Do note that few proxies will handle UDP or multicast connections, which uTorrent uses for uTP, DHT, Local Peer Discovery, udp trackers, and Resolve IPs. Worse, only uTorrent v2.2 and later can even TRY to send that traffic through the proxy. (And even then I'm not sure it tries with local peer discovery.)

I'm having exactly the same problem since upgrading to version 2.2

The previous version worked just great but since upgrading I'm getting virtually no connection speed and I'm getting the orange triangle which states that I have no incoming connections.

Can uTorrent please upgrade this version so that it works?

I found that the upgrade to 2.2 killed off my upload speeds.

I have been running it with forum recomended settings for ages and also I exclude uTP from my upload limit in the GUI and (enabled this via bt.ratelimit_tcp_only *true), in release 2.04 i was getting upload speeds in excess of 550kB/s with an overhead of 32kB/s.

My Uplimit (TCP only) was set to 128kB/s. once 2.2 was installed i was getting average upspeeds of below 220kB/s max.

I did not save my settings prior to the upgrade and did not have the 2.04 installer to rerun, i tried applying changes by restoring my old settings from the .old files (remove the .old suffix) after renaming the current files (to .test suffix) in the C:\Documents and Settings\user12\Application Data\utorrent folder - still no joy. So i rolled my pc back to a .tib created a few days earlier. Instantly the issue was gone.

Any ideas what could be doing this as the 2.2 looks cool, wish the functionality was as good.

Im on a favourable ISP and get regular 5.5MB/s down and 550+kB/s ups from my 50meg line. Is there a stable release that has some of the good stuff like path saving for magnet links etc out there?

Problem is that beta clients are forbidden on one of the two trackers I use. I'm on T1 connection and I have upload speeds up to 6-7 MB/s. 2.0.4 works great though! Last night I upped with 4 MB/s with 2.0.4. Also tried 2.2 for about two hours and it never went past 1.2 MB/s. I forgot to mention that I used the same "settings" file on both versions! So, from where I stand, it's a 2.2 issue.

Sorry!!! Should have said 100Mbit/s connection.:/ Don't hit me!:o

What I meant to say with the "settings" file being the same was that I used the same port and connection settings as 2.0.4 and unless 2.2 handles things differently (of which I see no indication), it should have worked, at least, the same as 2.0.4, if not better, since that's how an upgrade usually works.

But, sure, here goes:

I have default settings of previous installation of 2.0.4 except: pre-allocate all files checked, append .!ut extension, no limits on upload or download, number of connections 1000; max peers connected per torrent 500; upload slots per torrent 300; DHT disabled; peer exchange disabled; disk cache set to 64 MB and all other disk cache options checked; peer.disconnect_inactive_interval = 500; protocol encryption enabled and allow incoming legacy connections checked and that's about it.

So the "obvious" questions are:

Why would these settings work in 2.0.4 and would not work in 2.2?

Do the 2.0.4 defaults differ in any way from 2.2 defaults?

What specific settings would work in 2.0.4 and would not work on 2.2?

In this case, would an upgrade mess things up (i mean install new version over the old one)?

I'll post some "long run" traffic graphs of both versions as soon as I have them (if that would help in some way) but as I read through the forum (2.2 release notes) seems the problem is real so I'll just stick with 2.0.4 although 2.2 is a bit nicer and looks a bit better.

I use v2.2.1 beta, since it has fixes the other versions lack. The speed issues I'm having seem related to my torrents being nearly dead (like <10 peers)...and the few peers it does have my ISP (ComCast) seems to throttle sometimes. So I only get max upload speed on them about 95% of the time.

You'll definitely need pretty incredible networking to handle 1000 connections at once, and I don't mean just in speed. Many consumer routers have really slow cpus -- they can have problems before they have 100 connections at once at 1 mbit/sec!

It could also be a software firewall on your end that only partially allowed v2.2

And yes, there's all kinds of "new version is slower than old" posts...always is. :(

(People who don't have problems tend to not post.)

uTP tends to do *VERY* poorly at >10 mbit/sec speeds in my own 100 mbit/sec LAN tests. Disabling it may help. While both v2.0.4 and v2.2 have uTP...as others install later versions of uTorrent as well, more people will be using uTP, so even going back to v2.0.4 now may have speed problems. :(

I know 1000 connections is a lot but I never had any problems. Besides I only use 2 trackers and the number of connections never goes past 200. Router: Asus WL-500W. Firewall: Windows 7 built in. ISP not throttling (I know that for sure). uTP has always been enabled for both versions.

Here are some graphs for 2.0.4 (upload and download are normal for me)

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/20430secsres.jpg/

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/2045minsres.jpg/

I'll post some with 2.2 tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply!

P.S. I can't use beta versions because one of the trackers I use forbids beta clients! :(

Backup your uTorrent settings (ALL its .dat files and .torrent files) and test v2.2.1 in another folder.

You should probably keep a backup of the settings + .torrent files anyway. :cool:

There's quite possibly a bug in v2.2 which is killing speeds, but only way to root it out is to know more about it. :(

If you did an inplace upgrade and want to roll back your settings to 2.04 try this.

exit utorrent,

find your C:\Documents and Settings\*your user name*\Application Data\utorrent folder

rename all the files with just a .dat extension to someting else like .bak or .older.

then rename all the files with a .old extension back to .dat.

restart utorrent.

Worth a shot?

if you have a copy of the old utorrent.exe version 2.0.4.22450 start utorrent with that.

Well... It works better now. I deleted the settings.dat file, installed 2.2 over 2.0.4 and upload speeds are ok. Funny thing is that when I opened the settings from 2.2 menu, they were identical to old 2.0.4. Guess it restored the settings.dat.old. I still don't know why, for almost a week, upload speeds were in the toilet.

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/2230secsres.jpg/

Question:

What are TCP upload and download rates and how do they fit in?

Archived