shutdown if UL/DL is 0kB/s

gUGYdvqGvYQM

Shouldn't be a general option, though. It should be something you activate for a certain torrent, and it should only be active that one session.

Also, it should only do it if you haven't used your computer in a while. It would be pretty annoying to have it just shut down..

On second though.. What if you enable it, go somewhere, come home, it's not been shut down, then sit down and like.. write an essay? Then you go for a break.. You come back, all your unsaved data.. Hm. This would have to be flawlessly implemented, or it would be a disaster! :D

Shouldn't be a general option, though. It should be something you activate for a certain torrent, and it should only be active that one session.

Also, it should only do it if you haven't used your computer in a while. It would be pretty annoying to have it just shut down..

On second though.. What if you enable it, go somewhere, come home, it's not been shut down, then sit down and like.. write an essay? Then you go for a break.. You come back, all your unsaved data.. Hm. This would have to be flawlessly implemented, or it would be a disaster! :D

well, all you need to do is to remember to disable it when you don't need it :D

I'm sure if it gets implemented there'd be a messege saying that the computer is going to shutdown etc.. so that it wouldn't just shutdown without any warning.

Wasn't there a three-page long thread about shutting down before ?

On that note though, You could do something like an always-on-top dialog jumping up and asking if you want to shut down the computer, with a, lets say, 15 second timeout ? Then if you are there at the comp you would deny it, And if its intended, it would time-out and shutdown.

I really don't understand everyone's obsession with having their computer shut down automatically. The whole purpose of bittorrent is to share. Just because a torrent is currently inactive, doesn't mean that a new peer won't show up. It is understandable that dial-up users need a way to disconnect in order to aviod fees or phone tie ups, but the normal user really has no reason to force their computer to shut down simply because a torrent becomes inactive for a certian period of time.

Yeah, but if your gone for a week, I wouldnt want my comp running the whole time. I think there has to be some shutdown function weather it be shutdown after a certain ratio of seeding (i like this one better) or be it this idea.

Why not? Unless you pay for monthly bandwidth usage, running a torrent for a whole week is a great way to increase you ratio. There is a certain point where you ratio would be so great that seeding any more would be redundant, but that is what the seeding priority is for. I know there are benifits to turing off a computer, and one week unatended would be somewhat excessive, but this really does not need to be a feature in utorrent.

I really don't understand everyone's obsession with having their computer shut down automatically.

Me either.. and not because of the share back thing but about why shut down computer? A computer running 24hrs a day have less chance of failure (because of HD particulary) than turning it on/off 5 times a day.

And you don't save money by turning it off when you don't use it. In fact yes you save but how much? It's like 7 cents a day? 2$ a month? 24$ a year?

If a HD break, it would cost you a lot more to replace.

Yes, it's GREEN to let the computer run 24hrs a day. Just set the creensaver to turn off the monitor when away and that's it.

the need is quite obvious, sometimes a torrent doesn't work for manay reasons and your computer would stay on and work for nothing...

reasons that a torrent wouldn't download or upload anything:

-no one is downloading from you

-other peers are unconnectable(behind firewall)

-the tracker goes down

-there is no seed and every peer is stuck

etc...

in which case it's just a waste of money, energy and everything to leave the computer on for a long period of time while it's doing nothing usesful.

remember not everyone is rich enough to not care about these things ;)

the need is quite obvious, sometimes a torrent doesn't work for manay reasons and your computer would stay on and work for nothing...

reasons that a torrent wouldn't download or upload anything:

-no one is downloading from you

-other peers are unconnectable(behind firewall)

-the tracker goes down

-there is no seed and every peer is stuck

etc...

in which case it's just a waste of money, energy and everything to leave the computer on for a long period of time while it's doing nothing usesful.

I 2nd this :) .

i'm not quite sure how much it costs for a computer to run 24 hours, perhaps more than 7 cents, maybe 10 cents, ok let's say 20 cents

if you're really that poor, i suggest you to look down on the ground when you walk on the street, i guess you should be able to get a few coins to cover the cost

anyway, if you are really gone for a week, i think that's really the best time to build your ratio

- i guess you can't predict if there'll be anyone going to download from you

- and i guess there'll be somebody who's connectable (oh, if you're connectable, why worry?)

- if the tracker is down, i guess you can just turn the computer off, why leaving it on while the tracker is down?

- you never know when the seeder will be back, the best way to complete a torrent is to keep the client on, then you won't miss it

etc.

If people are concerned about losing application data (assuming this would be implemented to begin with), perhaps it would be sufficient to trigger hibernation instead of a shutdown...

You'd retain whatever open documents or other data people would be worried about.

Besides... a normal shutdown would stop when a program asks to save unsaved data and have no response to it. If a program is discarding data without asking for a confirmation to save unsaved, do you really want to continue using it?

-- Smoovious

Then why not share some CPU time with usefull organisation like research? And NO it does not cost a lot a year to let a computer run 24hrs a day, all day of the year. Ask daddy and mommy about the electricity invoice... they should agree it never 100$ a year (I know it's far from that) and even if it was 50$ a year? Not even 10$ a month? And you could help the world?

Really I need someone to explain to me many good reasons to turn off the computer when not using it because for now all I know is it's better to leave it on. Just use the energy saver feature of Windows to put the monitor in standby mode when you're away.

What if you are running uTorrent as a background application while you are doing other things? If you left some foreground process running (a circuit simulation for example) that is going to take an hour, and you go get something to eat, I would be very annoyed if the background uTorrent process shut down the computer because no peers connected or it finished its job. Some of us use computers for more than just P2P activity!

• 9 months later...
Ask daddy and mommy about the electricity invoice... they should agree it never 100$ a year (I know it's far from that) and even if it was 50$ a year? Not even 10$ a month? And you could help the world?

Now the feature's been implemented in 1.6, and you have the choice between shutdown/hibernate/standby when just the download or the download & upload completes, but I just can't believe how some people think just from their perspective!!! If there wasn't such a big deal then there wouldn't be no EPA and all those power saving features implemented in computers in the last 10 years. If energy may be cheap in US it doesn't mean that it's cheap everywhere else in the world, and whatever many dolars you save per year, multiply that with a few hundred thousand bittorent clients and you'll see that it matters - I just can't believe it...

Energy costs are going up every year, and there is no point really to leave the computer running if you finished your downloads and uploads. There someone here saying that is bad for the HDD to restart your computer 5 times a day - yeah, as that may be correct due to the stress on the drive to spin up from 0 to 7200 rpm and all the OS load work, but is bad too to leave your computer running 24/7, especially for systems that weren't designed to work all the time, like laptops or desktops with poor ventilation and high internal case temperatures, the components are just going to age faster and enventually will fail sooner than expected.

Anyway, luckily uTorrent developers were more open-minded, feature's in, and i'm done...

Archived