Installing Utorrent Server on Debian

huss

I tried using your latest .deb (utorrent-server_3.0-27079_i386.deb)

I also tried adding utorrent-server-webui-custom_0.387-2012050518174554_i386.deb

I'm getting this error though.

The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details.

How to I remove your deb packages and start clean?

I tried using your latest .deb (utorrent-server_3.0-27079_i386.deb)

I also tried adding utorrent-server-webui-custom_0.387-2012050518174554_i386.deb

I'm getting this error though.

The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details.

How to I remove your deb packages and start clean?

Hi,

You should used dpkg to remove them. For example, here's what a quick search of the web revealed:

http://man.cx/dpkg-deb%281%29

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/06/install-remove-deb-package/

I would suggest using the "-P" option for purging the files, but I would also suggest backing up the files first. In particular the files in /var/opt/utorrent/server/settings/

You use the package name without the version numbers when removing. IE:

dpkg -P utorrent-server
dpkg -P utorrent-server-webui-custom

When you install make sure to install the utorrent-server package first and then whatever webui package you choose to install.

Regards,

Supe

:cool:

Thanks a bunch.. I had gotten it sorted out before your post but learned something new with your post regardless.

Your deb packages are very nice for installing this beast. Great job... Now I need to try and figure out how to automatically unpack torrents and use flexget with utorrent.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry to post in this old thread but I also have some issues with your package and maybe you have an idea what's wrong. I installed the latest version (utorrent-server_3.0-27079_i386.deb). I edited the config, it looks as follows now:

token_auth_enable: true

admin_name: admin

admin_password: admin

ut_webui_port: 60000

ut_webui_dir: /etc/utserver/

dir_active: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp/incomplete/

dir_completed: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp

dir_torrent_files: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp/incomplete/

ps aux | grep utserver prints the following:

root 14550 0.0 0.0 139352 1796 ? Ssl 18:11 0:00 /usr/bin/utserver -settingspath /etc/utserver/ -configfile /etc/utserver/utserver.conf -pidfile /var/run/utserver/utserver.pid -daemon -logfile /var/log/utserver.log ?

the log ist empty after starting the server and has the following content after a restart:

[09:41:33] Using locale C

[09:41:33] GetNodeID failed, using /dev/random

[09:41:33] total physical memory 536870912 max disk cache 33554432

[09:41:33] IPv6 is installed

Also, netstat --listening shows that the assigned port is not listening. (The same behaviour with the default port, 8080)

my system:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint

DISTRIB_RELEASE=1

DISTRIB_CODENAME=debian

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint Debian Edition"

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid"

NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"

ID=debian

let me know if you need any other information

I'm sorry to post in this old thread but I also have some issues with your package and maybe you have an idea what's wrong. I installed the latest version (utorrent-server_3.0-27079_i386.deb). I edited the config, it looks as follows now:

token_auth_enable: true

admin_name: admin

admin_password: admin

ut_webui_port: 60000

ut_webui_dir: /etc/utserver/

dir_active: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp/incomplete/

dir_completed: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp

dir_torrent_files: /srv/nas/hd0/tmp/incomplete/

ps aux | grep utserver prints the following:

root 14550 0.0 0.0 139352 1796 ? Ssl 18:11 0:00 /usr/bin/utserver -settingspath /etc/utserver/ -configfile /etc/utserver/utserver.conf -pidfile /var/run/utserver/utserver.pid -daemon -logfile /var/log/utserver.log ?

the log ist empty after starting the server and has the following content after a restart:

[09:41:33] GetNodeID failed, using /dev/random

[09:41:33] total physical memory 536870912 max disk cache 33554432

[09:41:33] IPv6 is installed

Also, netstat --listening shows that the assigned port is not listening. (The same behaviour with the default port, 8080)

my system:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint

DISTRIB_RELEASE=1

DISTRIB_CODENAME=debian

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint Debian Edition"

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid"

NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"

ID=debian

let me know if you need any other information

Did you install the webui package too? Without it there will be no client to listen on 8080 or whatever port.

Thanks,

Jason :)

• 8 months later...
chris476

Will your deb include ut server starting after reboot?

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

Somebody uses uTorrent Server as a simple uTorrent (like in Windows).

So thats why didn't make it to autostart after reboot.

The best way for autostart: after install do this:

# update-rc.d utserver defaults

I get some email about how to install uTorrent Server, and I made

a basic video of the installation process:

http://youtu.be/RpUK-kjGkdE

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, from the shell that invokes utserver (and before invoking utserver), try setting the environment variable LANG to refer to a locale that will handle multi-byte character sets. The default C/POSIX locales handle 8-bit characters, which can result in undesirable file names. Run

locale -a

on your system to identify a suitable locale. For example, I use

en_US.utf8

• 5 months later...

Just rc-script may be useful to someone. Developed on Debian 7.

#! /bin/sh### BEGIN INIT INFO# Provides:          utorrent# Required-Start:    $networking# Required-Stop:# Default-Start:     3# Default-Stop:      0 1 6# Short-Description: uTorrent client service# Description:### END INIT INFO# Author: AnViarPATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/binNAME=utorrentDESC="torrent-client service"WORKDIR=/opt/utorrentBINNAME=utserverDAEMON=$WORKDIR/$BINNAMEPIDFILE=/run/utorrent/$NAME.pidSCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAMELOGFILE=/var/log/$NAME.logUSER=utorrent# Exit if the package is not installed[ -x "$DAEMON" ] || exit 0# Load the VERBOSE setting and other rcS variables. /lib/init/vars.sh. /lib/lsb/init-functionsdo_start(){        if [ ! -d /run/utorrent ]        then                mkdir /run/utorrent                chown $USER /run/utorrent        fi        start-stop-daemon --start --chdir $WORKDIR --pidfile $PIDFILE --chuid $USER --exec $DAEMON -- \                -daemon -logfile $LOGFILE -pidfile $PIDFILE \                || return 2}do_stop(){        start-stop-daemon --stop --retry=TERM/30/KILL/5 --pidfile $PIDFILE        RETVAL="$?"        [ "$RETVAL" = 2 ] && return 2        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && rm -f $PIDFILE        return "$RETVAL"}case "$1" in  start)        log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC" "$NAME"        do_start        case "$?" in                0|1)    log_end_msg 0 ;;                2)      log_end_msg 1 ;;        esac        ;;  stop)        log_daemon_msg "Stopping $DESC" "$NAME"        do_stop        case "$?" in                0|1)    log_end_msg 0 ;;                2)      log_end_msg 1 ;;        esac        ;;  status)        status_of_proc -p $PIDFILE "$DAEMON" "$BINNAME" && exit 0 || exit $?        ;;  *)        echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|status}" >&2        exit 3        ;;esac

Archived