"advanced"->"set download location" really buggy uT2.2

djmasturbeat

2.2.build 23774

Win7x64

i am used to relocating files all the time as i need to bounce things around on drives. I have done it for years with no problem until now.

problem is the new build is buggy. i set the new download location, and it either

A)does not change location at all, no matter how many times i perform the action.

B)i have to hit force recheck. stop that right away. THEN i do "advanced"->"set download location..", it takes, then i have to recheck.

C)I have even had to delete the torrent then open the .torrent again, then direct it to new path.

rarely does it actually accept the new location. it is really frustrating.

this has happened with both, things that i recently changed mounted NTFS drives name system, and also for newly moved torrents done since name change. The ones that were on the old name i get an error (something to the effect) that the mounted location no longer exists, but then it WON"T let me change it, and i get the pop-upp giving the error AGAIN. grr. I then have to do the step B) or C) to get it to accept new location

it seems way more buggy if i am in midst of still moving the files (actually it definitely won't "take" until the move is completed... which i never had to wait for completion of move before this newest series of builds. On a huge torrent this is a real pain. I have to make notes on the torrent name or make new labels regarding what the path will be... i have a LOT of torrents and drives, so i need some way to keep it all straight).

i have rebooted and closed/restarted utorrent and it is always the same. It is only in 2.2 i have had this issue. Please look into addressing this.

thanks for the great uT. other than this and the labels w/ torrent state now not working (i posted this in UI thread), i like the new 2.2

Verification that "Set Download Location" is buggy.

I have had the identical problem since the 2010-11-17: Version 2.2 (build 23235) [WinXPx32, SP3]. However, I found the following procedure directly allows me to change the "Set Download Location" without deleting the torrent and/or restarting with the desired new path as suggested by djmasturbeat in the previous post.

For a single torrent:

A. Copy the old download folder and/or file(s) to the new disk and/or new directory and/or new filename.

B. Stop the torrent (whether it is downloading or seeding).

C. Rename the old folder or file, like xxxOldFolderName or xxxOldFileName.

D. >Right Click Torrent >Advanced >Set Download Location >{select new disk, folder, filename}

E. Check that the new disk, folder, filename has taken effect: >Right Click Torrent >Open Containing Folder or alternatively, by double-clicking the torrent.

F. If necessary, >Right Click Torrent >Force Re-Check [in previous uTorrent revisions, this step was unnecessary unless the new location was on a disk different from the old location. If the new folder was on the same disk, it was not necessary to Re-Check if the folder/file(s) were merely moved without copying.]

G. Once the move is verified, delete the old folder/file.

My experiments suggest that the key is step "C." It seems that uTorrent does not want to believe that the download folder/file(s) should be changed as long as the old original folder/file(s) remain in the same location with the same name(s). In the pre-v2.2, step "C." was unnecessary, whereas steps A,B,D-G were the same.

I do hope the uTorrent programmers would restore this feature to how it worked previous to v2.2.

Another issue: SORT ORDER

Another variance in v2.2 that I would like restore is torrent sort order. In pre-2.2, I would double-click the "Completed On" column heading, which would give a reverse-sort with the most recently completed torrents adjacent to the lowest "#" (highest priority). For example, from the top of the list, #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, most recently completed, 2nd recently completed, 3rd recently completed, etc. Such an ordering is very convenient for daily checking downloading and recently completed torrents. I found this sort order particularly helpful for monitoring torrents of trackers that require maintaining prescribed ratios.

Unfortunately, the current v2.2 instead gives me and ordering, #5, #4, #3, #2, #1, all completed torrents in alphabetical order. To do daily checks of downloading and recently completed torrents, I must do two separated sorts. First, sort by "#" to see the download priority. Then do a separate sort for "Completed On" to see recently completed torrents. If the uTorrent coders prefer not to revert the sorting to pre-2.2, then I hope they would consider hierarchical or nested sorting for multiple criteria (at least 2).

Thanks for a great program!

i tried the rename and it isn't working 100%. NOTHING works all the time except the drastic delete torrent and re-drop it into uT.

I am also getting another bug when trying to move or relocate a file -- not enough disk space errrors for things that are already in place. so the relocate does not want to work for these files. I am not moving them, i just renamed the mounted drive scheme, but it doesn't want to accept the location i point it to.. so like my above issues.. it does nothing but spit out errors. it often also requires hunting down the appropriate .torrent then deleting it from uT and re-adding it.

this is a huge deal when i have over 10,000 torrents and many need to be relocated to new drive name scheme; this project would be huge enough, having the uT not cooperate anymore, making me delete, re-find the .torrent and re-add it just to move a file or relocate things on a newly named drive... this multiplies aggravation a thousand fold.

wow, i just checked the completed on, and i am also no longer able to use that.

another feature rendered inoperable, along with moving / relocating, and not being able to click tags + torrent state (downloading/ seeding/ active, etc).

again, i have been doing these things for many builds, and not till the 2.2 series have i had so many issues with functionality (other than the RAM hogging and crashing which has been going on since at least 1.6x). the new build should not have gone stable.

yes

too many drives to use just "A"-"Z"

but i have same behavior (issues with re-locating) on my other PC that is running 2.2 and it has things arranged as normal letter drives, tested there as well since i often send things over my network between my PCs and laptop. so it isn't b/c of the NTFS mounted drives. and no issues on the laptop running an older build

EDIT:

this new "feature" is terrible. the old "set download location..." should have been kept as is after all these years, and a new "Move to..." feature should have been enabled. Killing the old method is really just a bad idea. the new way just makes utorrent lock up (even w/ 12 GB DDR3 and an i7 920) and crashes uT. this really complicates everything.

;;;;;;;;;;;;

nevermind. I went back to 2.04 on both pcs running 2.2 (laptop still running the very efficient 1.6.1 for sites that don't require the newer builds :D) . If anyone wants i have a .dat saver script to do the same, let me know. I just hope sites don't require me to update until all these new bugs are worked out, and we have a way to do the moving files on our own again, w/ file managers that use less resources, w/o the uT interference -- like many old users are used to.

Another case: If the source drive disappears (for example H: doesn't exists any more) the change download location gives an error, you can not change it unless you remove the torrent (or edit the resume.dat - since I've updated to 2.2 usually I choose to stop the client and edit it).

It would be great to have the 2 ways separated, (move to, change download location) or to make it configurable in the settings (maybe under the advanced settings)

Also the relocate function has the same effect...

I know, for the most of the people the file moving way is more useful than the other, but can we (the weird few percent :D) get an option for the non-file moving way too? :)

As far as I see these are not bugs, just a few of us got used to its non moving way (I think most of the users didn't ever use it), so for an average user this is a good change.

The set download location hasn't worked for awhile. It is painfully easy to test. 1. Copy the data from a completed torrent to a new location manually. 2. Try to point the torrent to the new set of data by using the Set Download Location option. 3. Program refuses to set new data path until old data has been deleted.

This is extremely frustrating. It always worked and should work. The past few updates have also left me with an empty utorrent upon reboot having to reload all my torrents manually each time which takes many hours of work. Quite honestly between the two bugs, I am going to start looking for an alternative or block all future updates so you cannot break my system at random intervals.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the exact same issue as the posters above. I have it in the current stable 2.2 uTorrent and also the beta 2.2.1 (build 24567).

I also have another issue. When setting the location of a completed torrent download sometimes (like 50% of the time) it will overwrite the file where I'm telling uTorrent the existing file is. I first noticed this issue today when uTorrent deleted a 25GB file! :( - The most annoying part is that the deleted file did not go in to the recycle bin! I have no way to retrieve it without re-downloading it now.

Please fix this bug, it is quite serious not just the loss of files but not being able to move files successfully.

What a roller coaster. Upgraded to 2.2, hated the UI and colors, downgraded to 2.0.4. Then felt like I should still try and give 2.2 a fair shake, so I upgraded back to 2.2 only to realize that reset download location is broken if your drive is mounted in a folder.

So back to 2.0.4 and this time I'm staying there till I have a really compelling reason to upgrade. (no, apps don't count).

2.2.1 beta 24649

Yet unable to correctly use Set Download Location. Utorrent takes folders name from original torrent, downloaded from tracker.

STR

1. Download torrent in older version

2. Rename destination folder.

film1_2010->film1_2010_1080p

(folder contain many files or subfolders)

3. Files downloaded and seeding.

4. update to 2.2.1 beta 24649

5. change drive letter

6. try to Set Download Location

7. get original folder name film1_2010 that doesn't exist on hdd

updated to 2.2.1 beta 24796

Yet have problem - utorrent takes the original folder name that doesn't exists.

exists

b:/folder/film_part1.avi

b:/folder/film_part2.avi

utorrent try to use

b:/folder_name_from_tracker/film_part1.avi

b:/folder_name_from_tracker/film_part2.avi

• 3 weeks later...

Still not working, utorrent try to takes original folder name from tracker.

-- 2011-03-09: Version 2.2.1 (build 25110)

- Change: Add a 'no' option to the 'set download location' 'overwrite' case that allows just changing the locaiton.

Using: 'uTorrent 2.2.1 (25110) on Windows XP Pro.'

The major issue here is (4) where the feature simply failed, didn't ask when it should have and didn't work at all.

A secondary issue is being asked about the overwriting of only a single file in a multi-file torrent where the proper question would be yes/no to each file with the added option of 'yes to all' 'no to all' where the option is applied to those files you didn't already choose 'yes' or 'no' for as in (1).

A secondary minor more cosmetic issue is being asked about overwriting files when there is no reason since utorrent has no files to overwrite with as in (2).

(1) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, no files exists in default location) when using 'Set Download location' was ask about overwriting the first file in the torrent and when answered no wasn't asked again.

Since there was no file to overwrite with the question was unexpected, still since there was no 'no to all' button it was even more unexpected when it didn't ask about the rest of the files.

(2) loaded a single file torrent in the same situation when using 'Set Download location' was asked again about overwriting, answered no, everything worked fine, even setting the target to a different file name.

(3) loaded a single file torrent in the same situation used relocate feature, worked fine, even setting the target to a different file name (as expected i wasn't asked about overwriting).

(4) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, files put in default location) tried relocating a single file to pre-prepared differently named file, wasn't asked about overwriting & didn't overwrite, was simply ignored ?!

(5) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, no files in default location) tried relocating a single file to pre-prepared differently named file, wasn't asked about overwriting and it worked.

(6) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, files put in default location) tried relocating a single file to a different name/location, worked fine.

(First posted to troubleshooting until I noticed this live thread for the same issues)

Problem I am having now, is when I have a torrent whose default folder name is for example \someartist - sometitle\ with a whole lot of flac files in it.

I want to retarget it to V:\Music\A\Artistname\Album name [2011-flac] as that is how I have my folders named.

utorrent will change the path to V:\Music\A\Artistname\Album name [2011-flac]\someartist - sometitle\

I can go to the files tab and hightlight them all and retarget them to the correct place, and then it will recheck fine, but I should not have to do that.

utorrent will change the path to V:\Music\A\Artistname\Album name [2011-flac]\someartist - sometitle\

I can go to the files tab and hightlight them all and retarget them to the correct place, and then it will recheck fine, but I should not have to do that.

Thats arguable and more in the nature of a feature request since if another user wants to change the path to V:\Music\A\Artistname\someartist - sometitle\ he would have to recreate the folder in your ideal situation.

As things stand now the logic is simple multi-file torrents get their own sub-folder, if you want to move the whole thing, you're moving that folder too; if you want to move the files then you select the files and re-target them.

Changing this will cause much confusion for many people as this has been the expected behavior for a long time.

A possible solution would be to add this as another feature either in the torrent's right click menu or the files tab's.

It has worked to let me just retarget the torrent up till these recent releases with all the bugs with the save location. If I run 2.02, I can retarget as I want without problems, just move the files, retarget, recheck, works.

As this is nolonger working how it used to, it is a bug.

It has worked to let me just retarget the torrent up till these recent releases with all the bugs with the save location. If I run 2.02, I can retarget as I want without problems, just move the files, retarget, recheck, works.

As this is nolonger working how it used to, it is a bug.

Yes, that was when utorrent wasn't moving the files itself.

I see a situation where this can get even messier when you have a really large torrent with multiple levels of sub-folders and all you want to do is change the top-most folder (the auto-created one) name, which could require much more manual work.

In my earlier post I stated it doesn't seem like a bug, after giving it some more thought I can see how in some situations it can be.

Most of this could have been avoided by leaving the old features be and making the file moving part a new feature, i suppose its all part of keeping utorrent from bloating and we'll just have to point out the draw-backs and wait for improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. If I stop a torrent and move my files to a new area, then relocate to the new site I find a problem.

For example:

If i accidentally do something like relocate "episode_1.avi" to "filepath/episode_2.avi" etc

I can't undo this by relocating to my intended path of "filepath/video/episode_1.avi".

I absolutely HAVE to remove the torrent, re-add it and do relocate everything manually again. Once a file is manually relocated, it can NEVER again be altered unless I start over again.

So I guess you just have to get it right the first time. :(

Archived