"advanced"->"set download location" really buggy uT2.2

djmasturbeat

I am currently using 2.2.1 build 25130 on Windows 7 SP1, using multiple NTSF 7 Hard Drives at 2 TBs each, on two separate computers and I am still having the following problems:

Scenario 1:

When I go to set download location, and the torrent already has a predefined sub-directory that it will enforce without negotiation.

An example: If I download the torrent "Pioneer.One.S01E03.720p.x264-VODO.mkv" and I initially save it in the folder "c:\Pioneer One\Season 1\" so that I will have all three Pioneer One's in the same folder, but decide that I want to change the directory to "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\" because I have high hopes that this series will go beyond 10 seasons. So I stop the torrent, access the directory, and change it from "Season 1\" to "Season 01\" within Windows 7. I then go back to uTorrent, select the "Set Download Location" option for that torrent, to the new directory, and instead of it showing up as "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\" like it is suppose to, it does "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\Pioneer.One.S01E03.720p.x264-VODO\ and there is no way for me to correct it.

Work-Around:

1. If you select the "Relocate" option within the individual files themselves.

2. If you change the directory while you are in the middle of Setting the Download Location. I have had limited success wit this work-around, especially since it will only work for one torrent.

3. If you remove the torrent, and re-download the torrent again. The problem with this fix, is that you loose all of the data associated with the initial torrent, which is really not a fix to the problem.

Scenario 2:

If the original directory still exists, it will not release that directory, and change to the new directory.

An example: If I download the torrent "Pioneer.One.S01E03.720p.x264-VODO.mkv" and I initially save it in the folder "c:\My Favorite Music\" by accident, but decide that I want to correct it after I finish downloading the torrent. So I download the torrent, and attempt to change it to the correct directory of "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\". So I stop the torrent, and change the "Set Download Location" from "c:\My Favorite Music\" to "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\" within uTorrent. Instead of it showing up as "c:\Pioneer One\Season 01\" like it is suppose to, it still shows up as "c:\My Favorite Music\ and there is no way for me to correct it.

Work-Around:

1. If you select the "Relocate" option within the individual files themselves.

2. If you change the directory while you are in the middle of Setting the Download Location. I have had limited success wit this work-around, especially since it will only work for one torrent.

3. If you remove the torrent, and re-download the torrent again. The problem with this fix, is that you loose all of the data associated with the initial torrent, which is really not a fix to the problem.

The main problem with these work-around(s) are that I am not sure how they will interact with the next version of uTorrent, aside from the one where you re-download the torrent again.

One other thing I would like to point out, that this is one of the worst kinds of bugs. The reason I state that is because sometimes the function will work, and other times it will not. I am a professional tester, and even I have not yet figured out why it will work sometimes on my system, and other times it will not. In addition, I have to give the team at uTorrent mad props for creating a piece of software that has become a main staple for most torrent'ers out there, to the point where it is running on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Kudos to you guys, and if you ever need help testing this product on a more formal basis, I would be more than happy to offer my services.

Are you using the lastest 2.2.1? Because this thread is outdated.

Using: 'uTorrent 2.2.1 (25154) on Windows XP Pro.'

The major issue here still remains where the feature simply ignored the user.

Re-targeting a file in a multi-file torrent to an already existing one with a different name fails, the user isn't asked about overwriting regardless of the existence of the originally named file and the new name isn't accepted the user is ignored.

With single-file torrents the user is always asked about overwriting the target even when there are no files in the original location when using 'set download location' but not when 'relocate' is used.

(1) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, files put in default location) tried relocating a single file to pre-prepared differently named file, wasn't asked about overwriting & didn't overwrite, was simply ignored ?!

(2) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, no files in default location) tried relocating a single file to pre-prepared differently named file, wasn't asked about overwriting and was ignored.

(3) loaded a multi-file torrent (not started, no action taken, files put in default location) tried relocating a single file to a non-existing different name/location, worked fine.

(4) loaded a single-file torrent (not started, no action taken, no file in default location) tried using 'set download location' was asked about overwriting despite lack of files in original location answered no and it worked fine.

(5) loaded a single-file torrent (not started, no action taken, file put in default location) tried using 'set download location' file was moved no questions ask as expected.

• 4 weeks later...

This is still not fixed, I have not had an update offer from utorrent for ages, am on 25110 in the about screen.

Having to go thru manually retargetting the files in a multi-album torrent is not really something I should have to do. The name of the root folder of the torrent is not something that should be forced on me from what the creator of the torrent had files in when they created it.

Are things still being fixed in the 2.x series or is it now abandoned in favour of the 3.x betas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The workaround I have to use:

Stop the torrent.

From the Files tab, select each file and Relocate.

From the torrent, select Advanced->Set Download Location.

Respond negatively when it asks to overwrite files.

Delete the directory it creates in the new location.

From the torrent, Force Re-Check.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Until this gets fixed (hopefully), here's a workaround from another thread:

Cut the torrent name and press enter so that the torrent has no name. Right click on the torrent and set the download location. It will tell you to overwrite. Select yes. Start the torrent (you don't need to force recheck!). F2 on the torrent, Ctrl V and you're done.

• 2 months later...

Hum, I just did a big move of about 100 torrents, editted the RESUME.DAT but about 30 torrents would not work even after Force Recheck, even though the data was there (confirmed). I did the same as you, downgraded to version 2.0.2, did the Force Recheck, and the grand majority DID restart! Only two needed me to reload the torrent file and point to the old data, then Force Recheck.

Thank you for your advice. My new methodology to do large torrent data transfers (which includes editting the RESUME.DAT file), will be to do a simple downgrade to 2.0.2, Force Recheck any offending Torrents, then upgrade to 2.2.1 so I can get the VLC play button (which I really really like).

Until this gets fixed (hopefully), here's a workaround from another thread:
Cut the torrent name and press enter so that the torrent has no name. Right click on the torrent and set the download location. It will tell you to overwrite. Select yes. Start the torrent (you don't need to force recheck!). F2 on the torrent, Ctrl V and you're done.

For Previously Downloaded Data:

Example:

Torrent name is 'ABC123' current directory is: C:\ABC123\

01 file

02 file

To save to 'ABC\123'

C:\ABC\123\

01 file

02.file

1. Move files if needed

2. In uTorrent rename the torrent to the current directory of the data. (from ABC123 to 123)

3. Advanced > Set Download location > Select Location (C:\ABC\) the directory 123 is forced by uTorrent > Select Not To Overwrite data > Force Recheck > Start Torrent.

If you don't rename the torrent first the original torrent directory will be created. i.e. C:\ABC\ABC123\

Alternatively just delete the torrent, reload the torrent again, this time saving to your preferred location.

All in all a total waste of time, especially with a large amount of torrents that need relocating.

Deluge relocating is simple and directly editable just by double clicking the directory in Deluge torrent info section.

Edit: Just noticed that if you put the directory name in uTorrent torrent name i.e. ABC\123

you only need to select the drive letter in 'Set D/L Location' (in this example: C:\) the download directory will then be the same as the torrent name in uTorrent.

A simple way to rename the torrent is to browse into the directory ( i.e. 'C:\ABC\123\' ) you wish to 'Set D/L Location' then in the address bar of explorer, copy the directory address (with or without the drive letter) and paste the new torrent name in uTorrent,

then:

Advanced > Set Download location > Select Location (C:\) the directory ABC\123 (new torrent name including the directories is forced by uTorrent) > Select Not To Overwrite data > Force Recheck > Start Torrent.

It is a bit annoying renaming, but now uTorrent will display the exact location of the torrent files

Note for developers:

If I Set Download Location to a directory, the directory I choose should be the final directory.

• 2 weeks later...
Still not fixed in the latest build 25454, so i'm starting to thing they will never fix this sh*t although it would properly take them like 5 mins to remove the code that forces the torrent name to be added to the path.

Mindboggeling.

I signed up after a few frustrating hours working out what I'd done wrong when setting up a new computer with the latest client.

No matter what I did when I tried to set download location to another folder the file would be kept inside a folder of the file name. Which is ridiculous when I have a season of shows I want listed together, not in separate folders.

Seems I'd never updated past the initial 2.2 release on my old computer and never thought about updating.

Fixed with a roll back to the older client.

Such a silly change, and if it was needed then at least give us a choice when moving.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This bug alone nearly ruins uTorrent's usefulness.

It's an egregious over-site for a file-sharing tool to make it impossible to share files and keep any kind of decent organization at the same time.

Say I download "Elephant's Dream.mkv". All I want is to put that into C:\Movies\ and share it.

Let's say the torrent is created so the download folder is

\[Free-oss-movie] Made With Blender!\Elephant's Dream.mkv

When I download the torrent to c:\Movies, there is literally no way to ignore the directory: uTorrent forces me to create the file:

c:\[Free-oss-movie] Made With Blender!\Elephant's Dream.mkv

If I click "advanced"->"set download location" (How is that advanced?), uTorrent still keeps the torrent's directory!

You literally can't choose where to download files, and if you try to use the awkward Move File features, utorrent either freezes (probably because it is trying to move the files and takes a while, and the GUI portion is not run in a separate thread) or the subfolder is forced upon us.

I don't understand: What is so difficult about an "Ignore directories in Torrent" or "Ignore just the highest level directory" checkbox? Is it a matter of resources? What's uTorrent written in, C++? Give me the source code and I'll fix it! I'll sign an NDA. I just want this egregious flaw to be fixed.

Archived