advise on starting a torent server on debian linux

dvdljns

I am interested in starting my own server so I can make the software I use available to others. since I am new at this any advise is welcome also for anyone willing to donate software to the cause, I am interested in but not limited to oem driver discs older software that is about to become rare. most of the time I turn to utorrent it is to find versions of software that I can not download on the net. The last couple of years though I have found I fail more then I succeed. The torrent system could be the greatest place to find the disks to keep that pc running but most people seem to be more interested in the newest cracked software. and I would say about 40% of the people posting the cracked software seems to be more interested in spreading a viris. I can not do anything about that but maybe I can provide an example of what I think should be going around and the great thing is it is a win-win thing. If people do not need the software, they just ignore it but if they do it is there.

No pun intended here but...

linux:~ $ apt-cache search torrent | wc -l

48 options isn't enough for you ?

My stance: "apt-get install bittorrent", then go to /usr/share/doc/bittorrent and read up on how you should setup this program. Follow instructions and then be happy with it...

A "torrent server" really only means so much. I'm well aware that uTorrent also is available on Linux but I think this is your easiest approach.

No pun intended here but...

linux:~ $ apt-cache search torrent | wc -l

48 options isn't enough for you ?

My stance: "apt-get install bittorrent", then go to /usr/share/doc/bittorrent and read up on how you should setup this program. Follow instructions and then be happy with it...

A "torrent server" really only means so much. I'm well aware that uTorrent also is available on Linux but I think this is your easiest approach.

Not sure What you are saying? but debian will install from it's packages. No what I was hoping for is, Does it need to be a standalone install or could I install with my webserver. What seems to be the best size to break large software into. How about bandwidth settings? I have never even got those settings right on utorrent. For overall best practices what advise can you give me. The linux machine I have set up with apache it will probbly be 6 months before I get much traffic on that. As for as the server, I will go with whatever debian package manager sets up but there allways seems to be those little ins and outs that you learn by experance.

been there allready also found another article on setting it up on rhel. It said if the file was larger the it would download faster but breaking it in smaller peicees allowed you download more files at a time but did not indicate any way to judge where they met. file size = number of files = speed. At some point they will all be optimal.

Archived