Does using Witopia VPN/IPsec make one anonymous?

dumbo

I subscribed to Witopia in order to set up a remote isp in the US so that I can access Netflix and Hulu etc. It occurred to me that routing uTorrent through my VPN should provide a level of anonymity. Is that correct and if not should I be using something like Tor the anonymyzer? The problem with Tor is that I don't know how to configure uTorrent to use it. I also understand that, even if I do set it up properly it will throttle my download speeds with are routinely in the 300-1000 kps range (using my iPsec connection).

IMO its not.

When people want to look into you what's to stop them from raiding the portal and get all of the data anyway ?

A lot depends on your location I'd say...

I've seen US friends getting visited by the local authorities because they were participating in a VPN which several of my friends and me setup. No downloading, no sharing, no data shifts. Just a vpn for the heck of it (see how stuff worked and having access to one others Linux/Unix box.

As a rule of thumb I'd say don't expect anonymity the very moment you connect to the Net.

I suspect you're right. The companies that have the capability to provide that service (like Vidalia) have built in limitations to deter people from that kind of use. To tell you the truth I would have no problem paying for everything if it wasn't for the fact that Apple is gouging the public every chance it gets. Pulling stunts like not allowing you to stream a purchased TV show to your HDTV because they want everyone to buy an Apple TV is flat out underhanded (you don't find this out until after you've made the purchase). The fact that they are charging more for TV shows like MadMen than the equivalent amount of movie entertainment just adds insult to injury.

P.s. I wasn't technically attempting to "stream" the MadMen series to my HDTV, I was using my iMac mini display port converted to HDMI output.

Archived