ISP being a wank

TheUnbentBanana

So, I live in a student complex connected to our university network with like literally one of the fastest connections in the country, downloading up to 15 MB/s on a single torrent. However, this morning I was cut off from the internet. I was placed in quarantine because I had uploaded certain files with copyright on them (the film The Fighter to be more specific). Now they told me that because it is such a fast connection it is a main target for the "copyright police," and they often get complaints about copyright abuse, so basically, if you seed torrents you get cut off.

Since it was my first time I got a "one-strike" policy and I'm all good now, but I had to do some adjustments to my uTorrent; since I can't stop uploading all together I set the speed to 1 kbit/s, lowered the amount of slots, close uTorrent whenever not downloading and empty the shared file as soon as downloads are complete.

Now I understand what this peer to peer sharing is based on, and frankly it sucks that I can't do any seeding now.

I've got a few questions on the matter:

1. Can I do anything else to further limit uploads?

2. If I automatically move completed torrents to another file, will that file be shared too?

3. Is there any way I can somehow bypass this control they have on my uploads? mind you - it has to be simple, I'm really not that good with computers.

Thanks...

Archived