Feature-request: File Categories

guplik

I'm just trying out uTorrent after many years of using Azureus, it's great to see something similar without all the bloat!

There's one feature that I do use in Azureus that appears to be missing, file categories.

I have many files in my torrent-list, and I find it very useful to be able to seperate my cartoons, documentaries, comics, music, etc onto seperate pages.

Though i understand this can be comfortable, i for one would like the UI to stay as it is now. Clean, uncluttered yet provides all the useful information. Knowing that this feature can't be simply 'disabled' if implemented (as it probably changes the entire queue system as it is), I'd have to vote my opinion as against it.

I personally wouldn't use that, but I don't see how it would make thing more complicated.

Just add a category field to the data object that describes torrents, and then add a filter (all, comis, music, software, ...) to the display.

The only change to the UI would be the one added drop-down box (to filter the display), and a new entry in the context menu for the torrents, to set the category.

I'm just trying out uTorrent after many years of using Azureus, it's great to see something similar without all the bloat!

There's one feature that I do use in Azureus that appears to be missing, file categories.

I have many files in my torrent-list, and I find it very useful to be able to seperate my cartoons, documentaries, comics, music, etc onto seperate pages.

I don't see anything in there describing why other people would need it =

However, an offshoot of that idea might actually be usable, where you add a comment column that you can edit. And clicking that column could possibly sort by the comment.

I personally wouldn't use that, but I don't see how it would make thing more complicated.

Just add a category field to the data object that describes torrents, and then add a filter (all, comis, music, software, ...) to the display.

The only change to the UI would be the one added drop-down box (to filter the display), and a new entry in the context menu for the torrents, to set the category.

That's the way it happens in Azureus: it doesn't affect queues, or anything tricky like that. It just filters the view based on a keyword that is assigned to the files.

I don't see anything in there describing why other people would need it =

However, an offshoot of that idea might actually be usable, where you add a comment column that you can edit. And clicking that column could possibly sort by the comment.

I'm sure other people would use view-filtering (by category or otherwise), but I can only speak for myself!

Having a comment-colum would be part of what I'm after, but what I also want is to be able to filter what's shown on the torrents-window:

I think it would be nice feature. I kept 40+ torrents in Azureus and it didn't look messy because of categories. I don't even want to try to move all my torrents from Az to µtorrent atm.

See? Other people have lots of torrents too! :)

I don't like removing files that someone might want at some point, especially if they're fairly small.

This filter could cover other details as well, so you could show only dead torrents, or ones that are currently uploading, or torrents with .avi files.

categorizing torrents is so tedious, i never got around it.. i suggest a Filter box instead, look at my thread here and tell me what you think..

if properly implemented, this would throw out the need for categories, or it could have some kind of a "category" tag, so you could search for "cat:games" or something.. but the filter brings a whole new level of categorizing torrents on the fly, and the idea is completely expandable..

categorizing torrents is so tedious, i never got around it.. i suggest a Filter box instead, look at my thread here and tell me what you think..

if properly implemented, this would throw out the need for categories, or it could have some kind of a "category" tag, so you could search for "cat:games" or something.. but the filter brings a whole new level of categorizing torrents on the fly, and the idea is completely expandable..

I agree.

Archived