download speed and seeding

Lola1104

Hi! I Im new to downloading torrents from BitTorrent and have 2 questions:

1. From what I understand, the more seeders there are, the faster the download speed. But how come sometimes torrents with fewer seeders download at a faster kb/s than torrents with more seeders??

2. I read that what makes BitTorrent different is that it avoids the problem of people not sharring their downloads (becoming "leachers") because the more you share, the faster your own downloads will be. Is this true? How is this possible? -- I would think that sharing more would take away from the speeds of my downloads. If it is true that sharing improves my own download speeds, should I never remove any completed downloads, and why would anyone be removing their completed downloads to just become leachers?

Please help with any insight at all or any tips!

Thank you very much :)

1. From what I understand, the more seeders there are, the faster the download speed. But how come sometimes torrents with fewer seeders download at a faster kb/s than torrents with more seeders??

One guy on a 1gbit pipe is better than 100 dial-up users. Your understanding that "more seeders is faster" is wrong.

The answer to #2 is VERY complicated and would take several pages to properly explain.

Archived