Relocate

JoeBloe

Can we get a way to relocate the entire torrent, folder and all?

The current behavior of only allowing individual files to be moved is quite cumbersome. Being able to move the entire folder would make much more sense.

Just moved from BitComet and am pleased so far, with this one exception.

You mean like the set download location function?

Not quite. I use one drive for downloading and have the resultant files go to many different places depending on their use, type, etc. But often times I would like to move the files before my upload ratio is decent. Being able to move the torrent makes both possible.

BitComet allowed you to move files to any location and/or by tags. I see uTorrent allows relocating individual files(although without their existing folder structure) but being able to move folders and entire torrents just seems more intuitive than creating all new file structures for each file in a torrent. :)

I found what you were saying. :D Bit clumsy, and it doesn't move the folder structure.

As anyone who is familiar with DLs would know, many files from different torrents have exactly the same name. If I throw 20 xyz.nfo's into a folder, I lose 19 of them. Or how many setup.exe does one usually end up with? etc, etc, etc. :/

• 4 weeks later...
Set download location is supposed to move the entire folder, though it seems like there's some bugs and it doesn't always move the files... We're working on that.

Awesome! You mean will be a feature so if I select many torrents in the list and with right mouse click I can move them all to a different location preserving the sharing data (uploaded counter etc.) and moving the corresponding torrent files also?:P Sometimes it could be usefull (when I move to a new disc for example or change my mind where to locate all my downloads/seeds). Sorry if it is not the case. Then I should pop up this in the "ask for new features" section...

Or should be nice if I change the default download and seed location it could be able to change the settings for old torrents and data also (move them all) not only for the new, upcoming ones. Does it make sense?:cool:

///Yes I know. Moving a torrent and data then editing resume.dat could solve the problem but it is not an easy way and I think it is dedicated for power users.///

That's the aim of the new 'Set Download Location' function. It moves the files for you to the new location you define (and the containing folder i.e. folder structure is retained). Use the beta 2.2.1, bugs are fixed.

I installed it. Works like a sharm. I mean moves the whole stuff what I have downloaded before. No need to do it manually. The resolution for my problem is almost done. But. Hold on for a sec. What if I want to move the torrent file also (as I mentioned). Imagine this situation: I have a folder D:\Download! to keep my downloads and a folder for torrents being download (D:\Download!\_Torrents). When a torrent finishes the files will be moved to D:\Seed! and its torrent to D:\Seed!\_Torrents. Maybe once upon a time I decide to move the whole D:\Seed! directory with corresponding torrent files. I can move the stuff with this "Set Download Location" feature but can not do anything with the torrent file. uTorrent is going to search for them in the original location (D:\Seed!\:Torrents). Can you follow me? Ok, there is a way to solve this with editing resume.dat. And also I know it is a good feature to handle torrent files and the stuff separetly. Sometimes it is good. BUT this easy-do mechanism will produce problems if I just want to move the stuff and the sharing datas and keep up seeding from another location.

Edit:

Anyway it is good as it is. I convinced myself in the meantime:) Because (usually) torrent files are not big so if I dedicate directories for torrents like this: <D:\Download\_Unfinished torrents> and <D:\Download\_Finished torrents> although I move the whole Seed dir uTorrent will find the original torrents in the finished dir. They can stay there.

Edit#2

Or. What if I just click where is "Set Download Location" and choose "Set Torrent File Location" and this feature just does the resume.dat editing work (sets the right path to the torrent file or moves it to a new place). Or if it sais "Could not find ... torrent file bla-bla" I just click over the message and show the path where it is. Could not be a great feature? :) I would be happy with that. :) Okay, I stop now.:) Thanx for your work! It is so valuable!

µT moves the files when you select "Set Download Location" and update resume.dat, whatever the torrent job is downloading or seeding.

For .torrent files, just move the folder where you store them and change the folder path in Preferences > Directories.

I was wondering. Maybe it is what I am waiting for (a long time)? Yes, partially. I test it. Carefully. Two times, on two different computers. Yes, if you hold ALL the torrents in the SAME dir and just MOVE the dir when uTorrent is running and SET "Preferences > Directories > Store .torrents in:" section to the new one it WILL WORK. The problem is - as I mentioned before - if you store the finished .torrents in a separate dir. You can move them and then set the one at "Preferences > Directories > Move .torrents for finished jobs to:" section but the next start uTorrent is not able to find them. I am afraid the check up process is working like this: first tries to load the .torrent file as it is written in the file resume.dat then tries to find it in the default store location (Store .torrents in:). It spends some time to figure it out. If the search is not successfull will stop and sais: Can not load torrent file ....bla-bla.

So the workaround is working if you move ANY torrents to the DEFAULT location what you SET BEFORE start uTorrent over again. Is it a bug or a feature? Should not check also the finished section? I mean "Preferences > Directories > Move .torrents for finished jobs to:". Just asking. Just one more time to call the same check up function with another parameter... What do you think?

Archived